• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there one book.....

35 posts in this topic

After reading about Dee Dee's Detective 311, it got me thinking is there one book in your collection that is NOT for sale? What is it and why????

For me it's my Justice League of America 83, it's the very first book I ever bought. My copy is beat to death but I'll never sell it. (The image is not my copy gossip.gif)

jla83.jpg

My very first book: X-Men #172 (which I just sent out to get signed by two of its creators! yay.gif )

My Eternals #1. I asked Jack Kirby to sign it for me as he was crossing the connecting hallway between the parking lot and the El Cortez hotel during Comic Con 1978. I was a wee lad. He was just pleased as punch that of all books that was the one he was given for an autograph. He asked me to hold his cigar while he fished for a pen to sign it with. But he handed it to whomever was with him (one of two convention people) instead. I can't remember if it was actually lit or not but the moment is still stuck in my mind. It was like Kenobi handing over his light saber saying: "hold this". I still have the book and I will be buried with it.

My Eternals #1. I asked Jack Kirby to sign it for me as he was crossing the connecting hallway between the parking lot and the El Cortez hotel during Comic Con 1978. I was a wee lad. He was just pleased as punch that of all books that was the one he was given for an autograph. He asked me to hold his cigar while he fished for a pen to sign it with. But he handed it to whomever was with him (one of two convention people) instead. I can't remember if it was actually lit or not but the moment is still stuck in my mind. It was like Kenobi handing over his light saber saying: "hold this". I still have the book and I will be buried with it.

Great story! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Fantastic story and moment. Better than the Mean Joe Coke commercial of him throwing his sweaty towel to the kid! Kirby should have tossed his lit cigar at you as he walked off. Theres a keepsake.

Mean Joe Greene threw the kid his jersey. gossip.gif

Scott

This was sort of a grail of mine ever since I heard about it in the late 70's ...I had basically resigned myself to the notion that I would never find a raw copy until I saw it on a wall display a few months ago at a Hartford con...I know the condition isn't stupendous but it is a raw copy that was previously unaccounted for and it is now mine for eternity... laugh.gif

bloodharvestcgclabel.jpg

bloodharvestcgcfront.jpg

I've always had the mindset that I will sell anything if someone makes the right offer. The idea being no matter how much I like a book if the offer is aggressive enough, I can take the money and put it into an even better book.

At this point I would still say that probably 99% of the books in my collection would be available for the right price. But now that I've been collecting for a while, I have managed to acquire probably 20 or so comics that I don't think I could ever part with.

MarvelComics14.jpg

MarvelMystery6.jpg

MarvelMystery4.jpg

MarvelMystery1through10.jpg

Fortressbooks.jpg

Startlingcomics.jpg

DetectiveAdventure.jpg

MoreFun52.jpg

MoreFun53.jpg

FamousFunnies210.jpg

Avengers 156, I was on a family vacation in Colorado, and bought one of those bagged three packs, two war comics and, and in the middle a super-hero book??

I hated Super-heros at the time, but I read the book and was hooked, beginning my 30 year run with The Avengers.

My mom wrote the date and the place, Colorado Springs, on the back, so i will always have my first Avengers, book, a sample of my mom's hand writing, and a very specific memory.

That book may never be worth anything but that specific issue is worth a fortune to me. thumbsup2.gif

that is funny, I have the same feelings about my first book that is

gd condition at best...

ASM 147, paid a quarter for it right here in D-town.

If you see a fuggly old geezer in a resthome clutching an ASM 147

that would be me.

grin.gif

(it's hard to beat a bronze Andru)