• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nicholas Cage Pedigree

182 posts in this topic

the notation "from the Nic Cage collection" has more negative connotations than positive ones.

I think the exact opposite is true! In fact, I'm pretty psyched to be able to show my non-comic book collecting friends my Nic Cage book, or more importantly, the CGC label for the book. They could really care less about the grade, but to have a comic book owned by a movie star (and most of them heard about him selling his $2M+ comic book collection in the paper or on the news) is cool. In fact, to them, it may be the coolest book in my collection! grin.gif

To follow up on Carl's comment - it's oh so true! Belittling CGC serves to promote their own efforts to, for example, sell raw, trimmed, color-touched books on ebay as unrestored, etc.,.

I don't know, I'm pretty psyched to be able to show my non-comic book collecting friends my Nic Cage book, or more importantly, the CGC label for the book. They could really care less about the grade, but to have a comic book owned by a movie star (which they heard about on the news or read about in the paper) is cool. If fat, to them, it may be the coolest book in my collection! grin.gif

I feel the same way about my Stan Lee file copies and he actually means something to the hobby as well as being famous.

There are also a small handful of Nic Cage books that have been cleaned up, resubmitted for a higher grade, acheived that higher grade, and now the Nic Cage notation has magically disappeared from the label. I can't remember exactly where I read this on the Board but I did notice and read threads on the subject in surfing past threads.

If you bought a Nic Cage book, cracked it open, and re-submitted it, the notation would disappear. So if a book was purchased, cracked open, cleaned and re-submitted, why is the notation expected to be there? It's no different.

Regarding my question as to the propriety of grading of the Nic Cage collection, I just mentioned it, and did NOT imply anything. And the answers are interesting. I've read that the grading is supposed to be done completely independently of book ownership info down there in Sarasota (i.e. graders do not have any of the info on who submitted the book during grading), and I definitely hope that's the case. I'm glad to hear someone mentioned they saw a FTCO Nic Cage book, and didn't dispute the grading.

It is also interesting to me the varied opinions on the FTCO notation. I think perhaps CGC should come up with a "guideline" for FTCO notations, like they have with the Pedigrees (if you consider their guidelines concrete). But how can one come up with solid guidelines regarding such a matter? Celebrities - yes/no? Politicians - yes/no (but what politician would admit to a comic collection)? What degree of celebrity? Brad Pitt - yes; Woody Allen - no; Jennifer Aniston - definitely - how's that? Certain secondary market-assembled collections? What size collection? It could be tough. Good luck to all.

Be-littling??? confused.gif What does CGC have to do with what Nic bought? They didn't sell him anything. They just graded them and identified the restoration that Nic may have not been told existed on books he bought from major dealers. What did Heritage have to do with what Nic bought? They just auctioned them.

I think that since Nic is more closely associated with being an actor than a comic collector, a true Nic Cage fan would be far more interested in owning something from a Nic Cage movie. A prop, an item from the movie set used by Cage, etc.

You're awfully fast to jump down someone's throat that is basically agreeing with the concept that most have already voiced their disapproval of: that is the practice of having your name put on the label if you submit enough books. Did you miss that thread? If not..what's the true nature of your displayed animosity? Or do you just like being naturally argumentive and insulting?

the notation "from the Nic Cage collection" has more negative connotations than positive ones.

I think the exact opposite is true! In fact, I'm pretty psyched to be able to show my non-comic book collecting friends my Nic Cage book, or more importantly, the CGC label for the book. They could really care less about the grade, but to have a comic book owned by a movie star (and most of them heard about him selling his $2M+ comic book collection in the paper or on the news) is cool. In fact, to them, it may be the coolest book in my collection! grin.gif

So now we want to attract people to the hobby whose appreciation for comic books is founded solely upon who owned them previously, and whether that person was/is famous? Does it get any sadder?

There are also a small handful of Nic Cage books that have been cleaned up, resubmitted for a higher grade, acheived that higher grade, and now the Nic Cage notation has magically disappeared from the label. I can't remember exactly where I read this on the Board but I did notice and read threads on the subject in surfing past threads.

If you bought a Nic Cage book, cracked it open, and re-submitted it, the notation would disappear. So if a book was purchased, cracked open, cleaned and re-submitted, why is the notation expected to be there? It's no different.

Okay, now we're lumping all the "conspiracy theories" in one basket... the point with respect to the removal the "Nic Cage notation" had to do with the facts that:

1) CGC claimed to have no knowledge of the fact that the two Marvel Mystery issues in question were the ones they'd previously graded for Nic Cage/Heritage, thus excusing CGC from having any way of recognizing that the books in question had been cleaned a pressed (something CGC claims to be able to spot anyway)

2) If I submitted an Edgar Church book to CGC after cracking the slab, CGC would still recognize it as such... maybe that IS the distinction: the Church books warrant a true pedigree label because they're instantly recognizable to the cognoscenti of comic books; the Cage books aren't, by CGC's own admission.

Believe me, my friends aren't going to start collecting comics b/c I showed them a Nic Cage book! 27_laughing.gif

However, if I can get enough of their time to show-and-tell a handful of books to them, they would have a much greater reaction to the Cage book than anything else. And having "From the Collection of Nicolas Cage" clearly identified on the label is much cooler than simply telling them "...Nic once owned the book."

You're awfully fast to jump down someone's throat that is basically agreeing with the concept that most have already voiced their disapproval of: that is the practice of having your name put on the label if you submit enough books.

I didn't agree with it hammer, now did I?

The general mistrust and unfounded conspiracy theories floating around do nothing else but foster the general spirit of mistrust and jealousy in the comic collecting community today. Everyone speaking out against CGC usually is out to promote their own agenda as opposed to genuine concern for the state of comic collecting everywhere. I'd take all such diatribes with a grain (a like, more likely) of salt

Everyone speaking out against CGC usually is out to promote their own agenda as opposed to genuine concern for the state of comic collecting everywhere.

Just wanted to make sure everyone caught that. Nicely said Carl.

Here, I'll help make sure everyone catches this, AND understands that it's utter malarkey. "Everyone speaking out against CGC..." whose spouting conspiracy theories now? Any time these kinds of generalizations are tossed around, the source of such generalizations has HIS own agenda smile.gif

I often speak out against CGC's practices, but I don't wish CGC any ill will. What I wish is that CGC would constructively apply at least some of the criticism leveled against it, to improve its services. The many loopholes in its practices - from inconsistencies in grading to waffling on what is and isn't restoration to whether or not they follow commonly accepted industry standard grading guidelines, to name a few examples - are fodder for such criticism, and rightly so.

Would you prefer that we all just kneel at the CGC shrine, pay through the nose for mediocre service, and say "that CGC is god's gift to comic collectors, dealers, and speculators alike" ??

Believe me, my friends aren't going to start collecting comics b/c I showed them a Nic Cage book! 27_laughing.gif

However, if I can get enough of their time to show-and-tell a handful of books to them, they would have a much greater reaction to the Cage book than anything else. And having "From the Collection of Nicolas Cage" clearly identified on the label is much cooler than simply telling them "...Nic once owned the book."

Alright, fair enough... but this isn't the Lincoln Bedroom at the White House we're talking about... where does it end? Who decides who's famous and who's a flash-in-the-pan? If J.J. Walker had owned that comic at one time, would you still impress your friends with it? The CGC label is precious real estate, whether CGC considers it as such or not. Edgar Church's name (arguably) belongs on those books he owned, because he's primarily responsible for their current immaculate condition and unrivaled appearance. What did Cage contribute - not clipping the MVC ?

I guess what I'm saying is, if someone whipped out a stamp collection, turned to a page, pointed to a stamp and said "Marilyn Monroe licked the back of this stamp before putting it on the back of a postcard to send to Joe Dimaggio, her husband of the time, to tell him she was leaving him," I *might* be impressed, as someone who doesn't collect stamps.

Would it cause me to want to collect stamps?

Would it foster within me a greater appreciation for collectible stamps?

And finally, the above example at least has a timeless American icon directly involved with the collectible in question... Nic Cage is simply Dallas Stevens with more money and his name (occasionally) in lights.

I think that since Nic is more closely associated with being an actor than a comic collector, a true Nic Cage fan would be far more interested in owning something from a Nic Cage movie. A prop, an item from the movie set used by Cage, etc.

I know from my own experience that the reason I picked up my Nic Cage book is:

1.I dont know of any other actors who had owned a large collection. Someone mentioned Mark Hamill. Any others we can think of? Please list if possible just so we can nail down if there are many actors who we know collect. If Nick is one of only a handful then perhaps some type of recognition is in order for helping to increase publicity regarding comic collecting.

2. I would not buy Nic Cage books over and over. But, I figured it was nice to have on in my collection because of the first reason above which I felt gave it notoriety and also because I was somewhat of a fan. I figured owning a comic was bridging the gap between collecting something of the actor and the movies.

It was like bridging the gap between movies and comics. I do understand your point though in that his collection is not a pedigree. I own one of Arnolds Cigars from his bodybuilding contest that he holds every year in Ohio. I am a volunteer there for past f14 years. Whenever someone comes in my house they do one of two things. Go over to either Arnolds cigar or Nick cages comic. I guess its just the notoriety of them as actors. Either piece always makes for a good conversation piece.

If there can only be found a small number of actors who have collected comics then perhaps Mr.Cage may deserve some type of recognition. Maybe a small certificate which comes with the auctioned book instead of on the CGC label. I am happy with my piece. I have seen a number of these books though.

Many, Many. Cause I wanted to choose only one. I am not too sure about the grading on a number of them however?

I was just thinking of Ernest Borginine of McHales Navy fame. He has been a tremenous stamp collector for 30 or more years. I wondered if his collection went up for sale someday if it would be appropriate to have his name attached to it.

Thinking about this, I would say he would have to have some type of recognition with the stamps From the Ernest Borgnine collection. Cause we know that collection would set itself apart from many others. Dont know how many other actors collect stamps, but in his case He and stamps go so far back that he would have to have recognition if they ever sold and if stamps were certified in plastic holders like CGC.

Its something to think about anyway. Alot of pondering here. Good thread!

Giving everyone stars even though I keep going backwards on mine.

??????

I guess that like Jacob Singer (Tim Robbins) in Jacob's Ladder, all you see around you are demons. No wonder all the new posters only have 1 star. I almost feel as much sorrow and embarrassment for you as I do indifference! ........ Almost! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Hello Mi. Nice,

Im missing your point. Please explain?