• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sale of Amazing Spider-man #86 makes "Scoop"

168 posts in this topic

That Scoop article is horribly written and rife with grammatical mistakes...

Congrats Scott! thumbsup2.gif

The grammar gets better in a big hurry with the quoted sections. poke2.gif I didn't write the rest of it. yay.gif

Scott, nice job making Scoop! (and on the big sale)! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now I wonder if the publicity of a record-breaking sale on these message boards will cause an increase in people trying to sell things here 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And as far as the writing skills of Scoop, their reporting is occasionally sloppy, and I hate to see that in any journalistic medium, even an Internet newsletter. Case in point, a couple of newsletters ago they had a piece about a couple of Berke Breathed Bloom County Sunday strips for sale, and had incorrectly noted that the piece featured a Butthead cameo (from Beavis and Butthead) when the character was actually one of Lynda Barry's Ernie Pook's Comeek characters. foreheadslap.gif

But that's sign-offtopic.gif We're here to praise Scott's sale and Internet newsletter Warholian fame! hail.gifhail.gif

Wonder how many yahoos - I mean, welcome n00bs - this will bring to the board simply for all dat sweet forum selling action.

MMM HMMM I can't wait for all those great new "RAW 9.8" books we are gonna see now on the forum with just a thumbnail scan. thumbsup2.gif

Wonder how many yahoos - I mean, welcome n00bs - this will bring to the board simply for all dat sweet forum selling action.

To be fair, I am not sure that posting the book in the marketplace did me any good. The top offers I got were from people who saw the book in the silver age forum when I posted it there to celebrate. The marketplace is a headache to sell in, because you always get the dolts who krap all over your thread because they don't like your asking price or because they think no one should ever pay more than $X for that book regardless of grade (with $X being a price that is around 1/5 of what you ultimately sell the book for). Even Bob Storms of all people decided to take an uncalled-for shot at me in my thread. It's the whole "What I collect is cool, and if you don't collect the way I do, you're stupid" mentality (or in Bob's case, it's the whole "I can't stand to see a collector sell a book for a profit" mentality) that drives me nuts. When I get my ASM#122 back from CGC, I will not be offering it on the boards.

The marketplace is a headache to sell in, because you always get the dolts who krap all over your thread because they don't like your asking price or because they think no one should ever pay more than $X for that book regardless of grade (with $X being a price that is around 1/5 of what you ultimately sell the book for).

27_laughing.gifhi.gif

Congrats on the nice books and sale! 893applaud-thumb.gif Most impressve!

To be fair, I am not sure that posting the book in the marketplace did me any good. The top offers I got were from people who saw the book in the silver age forum when I posted it there to celebrate. The marketplace is a headache to sell in, because you always get the dolts who krap all over your thread because they don't like your asking price or because they think no one should ever pay more than $X for that book regardless of grade (with $X being a price that is around 1/5 of what you ultimately sell the book for).

All of this was common knowledge BEFORE you decided to offer the comic in the Marketplace. Yet you still did. And in reading Storms response to you, he was noting that a dealer would have received much more flack for your asking price than you did. He's probably right in that regard. The amount of criticism you received was minimal compared to others who have listed high BIN comics on the Board and I don't see how it hurt your sale whatsoever...

Jim

To be fair, I am not sure that posting the book in the marketplace did me any good. The top offers I got were from people who saw the book in the silver age forum when I posted it there to celebrate. The marketplace is a headache to sell in, because you always get the dolts who krap all over your thread because they don't like your asking price or because they think no one should ever pay more than $X for that book regardless of grade (with $X being a price that is around 1/5 of what you ultimately sell the book for).

All of this was common knowledge BEFORE you decided to offer the comic in the Marketplace. Yet you still did. And in reading Storms response to you, he was noting that a dealer would have received much more flack for your asking price than you did. He's probably right in that regard. The amount of criticism you received was minimal compared to others who have listed high BIN comics on the Board and I don't see how it hurt your sale whatsoever...

Jim

Jim,

It is still something that sellers shouldn't have to put up with. It doesn't matter if it affected the sale or not (I am sure it didn't, since none of my bids came from the marketplace thread, as I clearly stated before). It is the headache that will keep me from selling an expensive book there again. I hope that others take note and also go elsewhere with their good books. "Pearls before swine" and all that.

And I hate the way you end every post with an improper ellipsis. hi.gif