• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This latest great collection

35 posts in this topic

In all discussions on this subject, please keep in mind that I never made any claims about the collection being among the best. I just started posting some scans because I thought fellow collectors would enjoy seeing them.

I know you didn't make any such claims and BELIEVE ME, we love seeing the pics!!!! hail.gifthumbsup2.gif

As for competition, I like your attitude and feel that way myself. A $100 book can sometimes be more satisfying than a $1000 book that in great condition but is a piece of garbage to try and read.

I think the impact this collection is having on the boards is related to the context in which we are seeing it -- a collector is showing we fellow collectors his books himself, and telling us the backstory himself.

Usually, the first time most of us would hear about and see a previously unknown collection of this magnitude would be when it is sold, and the auction house or dealer starts putting up scans and descriptions in preparation for the sale.

For an extensive collection like this to emerge into the public eye and to see and hear about it from the collector himself gives it a different sort of atmosphere. Something about that thread sort of symbolizes what's great about this board. I'll likely never see them in person or own any of these particular books, but seeing them and hearing about them here from a fellow collector is cool.

Obviously we all know that BZ has been very generous in sharing this with us. If he ever has the opportunity, I'd love to see a video of the whole collection, which could include him talking about the backstory. It'd be an interesting way to document the collection for the hobby. Of course, that's just a suggestion and I really appreciate what he is already doing to show and tell us about the collection.

Not that the present owner needs advice from me, but I would love to see the collection stay together and displayed nicely, with admission charged to pay for the care, security and such, for several years before it is eventually sold. I would pay fifty, or more, bucks to go see the collection displayed in a museum setting, and I would drive 800 miles to do it. Wouldn't it be great if the Mile High collection was kept together for a few years after it was "discovered", and displayed to the public, in a pay per view type arraignment, before it had been piecemealed out? I do like owning a few Mile Highs. but I would like better to see the entire collection in one location, displayed and discussed. Just a thought.

I disagree a little bit with this. Only because no museum curator or Librarian or ticket taker will ever appreciate, covet or care for those books as much as those of us who collect them. And obviously we all share them for free in a way, just by all the posting we do on these boards. All collectors have to determine what they ultimately do with their collections. Does a collector disperse in his/her lifetime or pass them on to heirs. If they are passed on, the heirs should be made aware of value ahead of time so they can make an informed decision. I think all collectors should make prior arrangements (through a will perhaps) with a trusted dealer, auction house, knowledgable collector etc. so the beneficiaries can realize the best value if they decide to sell.

As best as I can recall, BZ has not made any claims as to conditon or quality, so there is that point. My interest in this collection is the "unknown" factor, ie: as far as any of us know, we are not familiar with this collection. It could be dynamite or it could be just nice. Nevertheless, it is fun to speculate. If BZ does not want us to speculate, then he is asking too much. I hope he keeps posting pics, especially individual pics of the really sought after, rare books, whatever theme they have. Yes, I know he wants us to just enjoy them and have fun, without asking too many questions or any specific questions, and that is perfectly understandable. I do think that asking us not to speculate on this or that, keeping the appropriate respect always in mind and word, is asking a little to much. We are all ga ga over this apparently unknown collection, and for us guys and gals (are there any gals that love Golden Age comics?) to see and here this story is the stuff of "dreams". I do not want to upset BZ or anyone else and I am choosing my words carefully. If he decides for whatever reason, to leave this site or quit sharing, then I or someone else will get the blame, and we all want him to continue sharing. BZ has not made any claims that any or any part of his collection is better than any other collection. I have made that statement, albeit with the obvious disclaimer that we only have a small bit of info about it and a very few pictures. Even if the books in the stacks, underneath the really nice ones, are run of the mill Golden Age comics, the books on the tops of the stacks are enough to let me know that this is a world class collection. A list (and surely there is one already, at least hand written) would be the thing we all would like to see here. It would save the thousand question thingy and the speculation thingy getting out of hand. I am trying really hard to "just enjoy", but the collector in me can not help but speculate about the "total" status of this collection and its impact on the collecting market. With all due respect to BZ and everyone else's comments.

I am actually embarrassed to keep putting pics of my own collection on this site, as it pales in comparison. Maybe I will wait until BZ is done (God forbid), before showing my babies.

my educated guess is that this collection will only be second to the original Mile High collection (which will NEVER be surpassed). .

Now... VF unrestored GA with what appears to be great color and page quality is frickin' outstanding, but its not Mile High, its not Tom Reilly, and its not Allentown,

My ears were burning so I came over to check out this thread.

In all discussions on this subject, please keep in mind that I never made any claims about the collection being among the best. I just started posting some scans because I thought fellow collectors would enjoy seeing them.

How do specific issues rank individually against those in "name" collections: I don't know. Some are probably in the top tier, others certainly not. I know that. That isn't important to me. I have what I have and am not trying to upgrade.

I don't consider it a competition and I hope you don't either. thumbsup2.gif

Well said, sir!

jon

Nah, don't wait post em now, I can burn through recent pages in a very short time, the more the better! Besides, while Bang's books are incredible yours are quite nice and I am sure many of us have enjoyed them. I have, so keep them coming and enjoy Bangz's books. Just have fun posting and sharing, its been a very fun experience for me on the boards, I thank CGC for the forum as Its allowed me to meet some people who I really enjoy and see amazing examples of comics I have never or rarely seen. Oh, and of course I have got to show off my babies, which is always fun.

Paul cool.gif

The more comics posted on these boards by the more diverse a crew of posters the better off we'll all be. It's like living in the Gerber books. Just knowing that collectors have some of these comics instead of investors makes me smile.

hello all..

while I am thrilled at getting to view BZ collection...it is just that, a GREAT and I mean REALLY GREAT collection...however, from what BZ has posted, it is not an OO (newstand purchased), and therefore I don't think will ever get a "pedigree" status, and therefore, as BZ himself mentioned, should not be compared with the likes of the MH or Larson or Allentown "pedigree's"...would be like comparing apples to oranges (with the exception of the 1000 books that at one point were an OO accumuation rescued from the trash!)...but BZ collection far exceeds those 1000 books, from the pics I have seen!

BZ amazing love for the hobby, and his ability over a 40 year? period to accumulate this collection and keep in tact is both truly astounding, and mesmorizing! and a story that, as a GA collector, I long to hear (and see) day after day...much the same way I love it when Berk or Meyer or Win or Evans or Parker or any of the other "big guns" post their books...the difference is that those folks collections are previously documented and some more recently acquired, while BZ is "fresh" by comparision...

I am thankful BZ wishes to share this with us (as I am thankful that all the others I mentioned and those I didn't mention are willing to share), but I don't consider the collection any more deserving of a pedigree status, than say "collector A" , whose collection (accumulatin of books rather than OO) might rival if not exceeds this one in terms of quality and depth?

And, I suspect there are other folks out there, that like BZ, might be late coming forth, and hopefully in time, we can be around when the next great collection arises! until them, make mine BZ

again, truly an outstanding collection!

rick

Just knowing that collectors have some of these comics instead of investors makes me smile.

I hear ya' brother!

Comics were not created to be someones 'return on investment', although there is nothing wrong with that, as long as it is balanced with the passion that collectors exhibit as well in the marketplace. I have some 'investment' comics, and they are OK....but I also have books that I love, and money is not even a factor...I just love them and would never sell for some 'shallow money'. The passion of the true collector is what makes our hobby so great. thumbsup2.gif

Just knowing that collectors have some of these comics instead of investors makes me smile.
I have some 'investment' comics, and they are OK....but I also have books that I love, and money is not even a factor...
And that's just the thing. I have comics I've bought that I know I'm going to sell later. Those are investments. Granted, I pour the money right back in to the collection but that's just me. I have nothing against investing in collectibles. But some of the books we've seen deserve to be loved and cherished--and they are-- not turned into product.

hello all..

while I am thrilled at getting to view BZ collection...it is just that, a GREAT and I mean REALLY GREAT collection...however, from what BZ has posted, it is not an OO (newstand purchased), and therefore I don't think will ever get a "pedigree" status, and therefore, as BZ himself mentioned, should not be compared with the likes of the MH or Larson or Allentown "pedigree's"...would be like comparing apples to oranges (with the exception of the 1000 books that at one point were an OO accumuation rescued from the trash!)...but BZ collection far exceeds those 1000 books, from the pics I have seen!

BZ amazing love for the hobby, and his ability over a 40 year? period to accumulate this collection and keep in tact is both truly astounding, and mesmorizing! and a story that, as a GA collector, I long to hear (and see) day after day...much the same way I love it when Berk or Meyer or Win or Evans or Parker or any of the other "big guns" post their books...the difference is that those folks collections are previously documented and some more recently acquired, while BZ is "fresh" by comparision...

I am thankful BZ wishes to share this with us (as I am thankful that all the others I mentioned and those I didn't mention are willing to share), but I don't consider the collection any more deserving of a pedigree status, than say "collector A" , whose collection (accumulatin of books rather than OO) might rival if not exceeds this one in terms of quality and depth?

And, I suspect there are other folks out there, that like BZ, might be late coming forth, and hopefully in time, we can be around when the next great collection arises! until them, make mine BZ

again, truly an outstanding collection!

rick

Well said!

Wouldn't it be great if the Mile High collection was kept together for a few years after it was "discovered", and displayed to the public, in a pay per view type arraignment, before it had been piecemealed out?

You're looking at the world of 1977 through 2007 eyes. The number of people in the world willing to pay money to see the MH collection in 1977, without being offered any right to buy any of the books, was close to zero. Heck, even in 2007, people apparently aren't willing to pay money to go see a comics museum, hence some of the problems that the Geppi Museum has been having.

Wow, I've been gone for about days and there's a lot happening on the boards lately. I loved reading everyone's posts about BZ outstanding GA comic book collection and how each of us can share some knowledge about the hobby. I do not have the "senority" status of pretty much everyone here in the GA section as I am still young and have been looking at this hobby more seriously than ever before. Without knowing alot about the other pedigree collections and what books contain in each collection, it is definitely a sight to be seen with this kind of collection. How many collections are still out there with this kind of depth and history? It's probably a once in a lifetime chance to see all these books intact and in my opinion as well, should remain together as long as possible. I have not seen any other OO collections, pedigree collections, and/or just plain large collections that have been in tact. Each and every one of them are all distributed around the world. Certainly seeing individual scans and group shots of BZ's collection certainnly gave me goosebumps at how a thousand or so of these books that came from the same source are all together and how the majority if not all are in VF or higher grades. I certainly thank BZ for his generosity of posting scans of his collection. I can see how passionate he is about this hobby and it's all about collecting and not really all about the value of the books. If I had a collection like this, I'd definiely keep it that way. You don't see these things happen everyday. It's something to be cherished with and to enjoy looking. Whether it gets a pedigree status or not, it really doesn't matter. Having these precious books together is priceless. Stuff like this is what's driving my love for the hobby even more. I'm sure there will be other great collections out there that have yet to be discovered, but it probably won't be for a while. We are all privileged and lucky to have seen one of the top 5 greatest collection ever put together. Again, BZ is in the driver's seat and he can do whatever he wants. I'm definitly going to respect his wishes on what scans to put up indivdually or in a group. It is a rarity of its own to see high grade GA books with the knowledge that some books are rarer than others. To end this reply, I'd like to again say thanks for sharing your collection BZ and I'm hoping to see whatever pix you want to post up of your collection.