• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This latest great collection

35 posts in this topic

About this latest Great collection. I didn't want to pollute the Bangzoom thread, since it's so much fun, but I have some questions.. Since this is the type of collection that someone had the smarts to put together and hang on to early on and since it's the type of collection most of us dream of, is it too early to tell if it will become very,very significant? Also, even though it's a dream collection, is it still the type of collection that big dealers eat for breakfast, or would someone like BZ be too savvy for that? Just curious since I'm still not sure what were going to find by the end of this great ride but for now,I'm just tickled to death to be watching all this. I'm an old guy and it makes me feel like a kid again.It also makes me think about my first collection way back then that I frittered away.

About this latest Great collection. I didn't want to pollute the Bangzoom thread, since it's so much fun, but I have some questions.. Since this is the type of collection that someone had the smarts to put together and hang on to early on and since it's the type of collection most of us dream of, is it too early to tell if it will become very,very significant? Also, even though it's a dream collection, is it still the type of collection that big dealers eat for breakfast, or would someone like BZ be too savvy for that? Just curious since I'm still not sure what were going to find by the end of this great ride but for now,I'm just tickled to death to be watching all this. I'm an old guy and it makes me feel like a kid again.It also makes me think about my first collection way back then that I frittered away.

I think BZ is way too savvy to allow this collection to be gobbled up by a big dealer, unless it was on his terms. I'm only a minnow in this sea of GA amongst all you larger fish, but i get the feeling this will mentioned on the same level as the MH's and Larson's.

It also saddens me a little because you can see just how great and how amazing this collection is and cared for that it makes you think about all those other collections that have been lost to us because of people who consider this hobby to be nothing more than a kids hobby *sigh*.

It saddens me that the ban of american comics back in the 40's & 50's makes it an impossibility of ever seeing something of this ever appearing from down under land. Maybe there is such a collection, but i doubt it is an OO collection...so i must live vicariously through you yanks poke2.gif

But in saying that, with each new pic that gets shown, it makes me happy that the history that these comics represents has been preserved and may it never be lost to the hobby at all.

Seems like it would have to enter the market to been given pedigree status. As long as BZ keeps it, isn't it just his collection? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, it is...but there's a whole mythology and mystique being created about it on these boards which is fascinating to watch and to be a part of. I don't know how common these kind of slumbering collections are, but watching this one awaken is sure fun.

Seems like it would have to enter the market to been given pedigree status. As long as BZ keeps it, isn't it just his collection? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, it is...but there's a whole mythology and mystique being created about it on these boards which is fascinating to watch and to be a part of. I don't know how common these kind of slumbering collections are, but watching this one awaken is sure fun.

Oh I totally agree with that. I am in complete awe of his collection and dream of being able to see them in person!

I'd wager there are a few more like this out there somewhere....

Oh I totally agree with that. I am in complete awe of his collection and dream of being able to see them in person!

I'd wager there are a few more like this out there somewhere....

893crossfingers-thumb.gifflowerred.gifthumbsup2.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gifyay.giflaugh.gifhi.gif

What I find amazing is that the collection is still intact. After all these years he never sold a chunk off to fund a house renovation or vacation. What also is amazing is the quality. They have been well taken care of just sitting there.

It also saddens me a little because you can see just how great and how amazing this collection is and cared for that it makes you think about all those other collections that have been lost to us because of people who consider this hobby to be nothing more than a kids hobby *sigh*.

An interesting side note to the above story was the fact that the seller told me he'd found the entire collection tied in bundles and put out in the trash by a neighbor.

What is really sad is to think where these beautiful books were headed. How many other collections were never rescued as they sat by the curb waiting for the trash man to come by. Thank goodness someone saw these beautiful books headed for the garbage dump and had the foresight to save them, and, that BZ was able to purchase them and keep them in such pristine condition.

BTW, I'm not sure if this is a sad or good commentary of my life, but I sure do enjoy coming home from a hard day's work and seeing that there are forty or more new posts about his collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well, if all those other collections hadn't been lost, GA books would be as cheap as moderns, and putting together a great GA collection would be about as challenging as putting toether a great modern collection..

Well, if all those other collections hadn't been lost, GA books would be as cheap as moderns, and putting together a great GA collection would be about as challenging as putting toether a great modern collection..

True, but i'm looking at it from the historical aspect not just the collecting aspect. Sure it would take away the fun of searching high and low for issues, but at the same time would not being able to own a copy of some of the greatest keys in our hobby without having to sell some body part to acquire it, be just as great?

I've read about those people who have stood in awe just at being able to hold a tec 27 or action 1 etc etc. If it was me, my first thought would not be about how scarce it was or how much it was worth, but that i was holding a major key.

But it is each to their own because i see that the GA era is one where you collect for the challenge, or the stories or the artists who created such wonderful covers....or for all of the above reasons, as opposed to where moderns are less challenging to collect, dependant upon what you wish to collect.

Good points and I for one have never been happy with the way GA prices have skyrocketed, leaving all but a few out of reasonable reach. On the otherhand,had I had some foresight and held on to my first collections and/or bought low in the 70's, I'd be in much better shape. As it is, I pick up what others discard.

is it too early to tell if it will become very,very significant?

it was the second it was posted...maybe the most signifigant previously unkown collection out there...what are the chances there are more like this?

Excellent. Maybe the books won't be as nice as these ones appear (and let's keep in mind all we really have right now are a couple scans and some dig camera pics taken from several feet away while the books remain in milky bags) but its only reasonable to assume there are lots more old collections out there. I mean the Crippen collection (the 2nd chunk) was unknown until recently... and that's a major find as well. Collections will continue to be found as early collectors retire and/or, unfortunately, pass on.

is it too early to tell if it will become very,very significant?

it was the second it was posted...maybe the most signifigant previously unkown collection out there...what are the chances there are more like this? [/quote

I believe the chances to be very good, and the next 10-15 years will likely tell us whether this is so or not.

Of course, the discovery of another collection that may parallel or exceed BZ's books in no way diminishes the beauty of his copies. thumbsup2.gif

As one who has seen really nice collections and has chased books for thirty years, and have read everything there is to read on the subject, I can say this.

Yes, we have only seen pics taken from a little distance, through bags, however, it is obvious that these books are being taken care of, in nice condition, and have been taken care of for many, many years.

It is also obvious that BangZoom is no dummy and knows what they are worth and will be in the drivers seat when and if he chooses to sell. From some of his statements, he obviously has a wealth of knowledge concerning collectibles.

This collection that we are seeing pics of and having described, will take the Golden Age comic book world by storm and will diffinitely have Pedigree status, surpassing the Crippen collection easily. It is a little early yet, but my educated guess is that this collection will only be second to the original Mile High collection (which will NEVER be surpassed). There are great collections out there and they will come to light in our lifetimes. Whether this particular collection will be left to heirs (not likely) or will become a great Heritage auction, or more likely, will be bought by one person and sold piece meal, with him (the buyer) keeping the ones he doesn't already have in his collection, is anybodys guess. Personally, I believe that the present owner of this collection is like me and so enthralled with just having them, that he will not part with them for money. The problem is, everyone has relatives, children, grandchildren, nephews, etc., and at some point, for whatever reason, this collection will become available.

That is the sad part of this whole story. Right now, it is the "legend in the mist" of Golden Age comic collecting. We all dream about being the one who actually "finds" it and is able to acquire chunks or pieces of it, but someday, somehow, it will be piece mealed out to thousands of collectors and succumb as all other collections have, instead of being kept together, as originally intended, by anyone back then that kept these books in this condition. I am sure they were not thinking about money when they put these books delicately away.

Not that the present owner needs advice from me, but I would love to see the collection stay together and displayed nicely, with admission charged to pay for the care, security and such, for several years before it is eventually sold. I would pay fifty, or more, bucks to go see the collection displayed in a museum setting, and I would drive 800 miles to do it. Wouldn't it be great if the Mile High collection was kept together for a few years after it was "discovered", and displayed to the public, in a pay per view type arraignment, before it had been piecemealed out? I do like owning a few Mile Highs. but I would like better to see the entire collection in one location, displayed and discussed. Just a thought.

I'm curious about things like insurance, flood protection etc., for a collection this important. I didn't want to raise those issues on the other thread, for fear of sidetracking or changing it's course.Of course BZ's no fool, so I'm sure it's all covered.

my educated guess is that this collection will only be second to the original Mile High collection (which will NEVER be surpassed). .

Come on now. Yes, there is no doubt it is a jaw dropping collection. But there ARE flaws on some of the books posted, I hate to break it to you. From the scans we've seen this is more of a VF collection than a NM collection.

Now... VF unrestored GA with what appears to be great color and page quality is frickin' outstanding, but its not Mile High, its not Tom Reilly, and its not Allentown, from what we've seen so far.

my educated guess is that this collection will only be second to the original Mile High collection (which will NEVER be surpassed). .

Now... VF unrestored GA with what appears to be great color and page quality is frickin' outstanding, but its not Mile High, its not Tom Reilly, and its not Allentown,

My ears were burning so I came over to check out this thread.

In all discussions on this subject, please keep in mind that I never made any claims about the collection being among the best. I just started posting some scans because I thought fellow collectors would enjoy seeing them.

How do specific issues rank individually against those in "name" collections: I don't know. Some are probably in the top tier, others certainly not. I know that. That isn't important to me. I have what I have and am not trying to upgrade.

I don't consider it a competition and I hope you don't either. thumbsup2.gif

Now... VF unrestored GA with what appears to be great color and page quality is frickin' outstanding, but its not Mile High, its not Tom Reilly, and its not Allentown, from what we've seen so far.

My ears were burning so I came over to check out this thread.

In all discussions on this subject, please keep in mind that I never made any claims about the collection being among the best. I just started posting some scans because I thought fellow collectors would enjoy seeing them.

How do specific issues rank individually against those in "name" collections: I don't know. Some are probably in the top tier, others certainly not. I know that. That isn't important to me. I have what I have and am not trying to upgrade.

I don't consider it a competition and I hope you don't either. thumbsup2.gif

That's a great attitude to have. thumbsup2.gif