• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATED PROBATION LIST ONLY - no discussions
14 14

1,190 posts in this topic

so what you guys are saying is no one should receive X-mas bonuses for a job well done :o

If they do a good job during the year then I agree that an end-of-the-year bonus is warranted. If they do a job during the year then no bonus.

Perfect example: Our normal mail carrier Kent, who delivers our mail Monday thru Friday, always leaves boxes and packages on our porch and never tries to cram them into our mailbox. He always places our regular mail with the packages when we do receive some (rubber banded together so they don't fly away). He even leaves a dog biscuit every day as he knows we have 2 miniature dachsunds (the oldest one gets them because our youngest dog has a liver shunt and can't have protein). He always smiles when you talk to him too. He gets a bonus. (thumbs u

Then again the girl who delivers mail on Saturdays (even though she's pretty hot) DOES cram comic envelopes into the mailbox. And when she does leave boxes on the porch she doesn't put the regular mail with it. We still have to walk to the box to get the rest of the mail. Plus she pretty much has that look on her face all the time that tells you she got screwed over by a guy at some point and now ALL men are bastards. She DOESN'T get a bonus. :P

A card with a $25.00 Gift Certificate to my mail carrier at X-Mas guaranty's my large envelopes and boxes get delivered to my door and not bent into my mailbox.

A small price to pay considering what could get damaged. (thumbs u

:headbang: We do about the same thing, a $20 bill and a gift certificate to the movies for 2.

Certainly nice gestures, but it is sad that you have to bribe someone to do their job properly. How would your job performance be if you depended on a bribe and didn't get one? lol

My sentiments exactly. So the USPS basic service is "beat but complete". A little extra under the table and they'll resolve the "beat" part for you. meh

I guess I see it as the difference between "doing your job properly" and going above and beyond what is expected of you. The people who work for me get paid to do their job as described, those that do more than is expected are the ones who get the perks, bonuses and extra consideration.

A card with a $25.00 Gift Certificate to my mail carrier at X-Mas guaranty's my large envelopes and boxes get delivered to my door and not bent into my mailbox.

:headbang: We do about the same thing, a $20 bill and a gift certificate to the movies for 2.

Certainly nice gestures, but it is sad that you have to bribe someone to do their job properly. How would your job performance be if you depended on a bribe and didn't get one? lol

My sentiments exactly. So the USPS basic service is "beat but complete". A little extra under the table and they'll resolve the "beat" part for you. meh

I guess I see it as the difference between "doing your job properly" and going above and beyond what is expected of you. The people who work for me get paid to do their job as described, those that do more than is expected are the ones who get the perks, bonuses and extra consideration.

That point is probably lost on the average person..., :baiting:

so what you guys are saying is no one should receive X-mas bonuses for a job well done :o

If they do a good job during the year then I agree that an end-of-the-year bonus is warranted. If they do a job during the year then no bonus.

Perfect example: Our normal mail carrier Kent, who delivers our mail Monday thru Friday, always leaves boxes and packages on our porch and never tries to cram them into our mailbox. He always places our regular mail with the packages when we do receive some (rubber banded together so they don't fly away). He even leaves a dog biscuit every day as he knows we have 2 miniature dachsunds (the oldest one gets them because our youngest dog has a liver shunt and can't have protein). He always smiles when you talk to him too. He gets a bonus. (thumbs u

Then again the girl who delivers mail on Saturdays (even though she's pretty hot) DOES cram comic envelopes into the mailbox. And when she does leave boxes on the porch she doesn't put the regular mail with it. We still have to walk to the box to get the rest of the mail. Plus she pretty much has that look on her face all the time that tells you she got screwed over by a guy at some point and now ALL men are bastards. She DOESN'T get a bonus. :P

:signfunny:

even bent 50 backing boards one time that were shipped in an envelope, and shoved them into the box, and I know that took some effort, because they were tough to get back out. At least they were good for storing the bent books. :(

Now that's funny.

I get all my books sent to work, where the mailman hands them to us over the counter.

If people would buy a postal scale, and use bubble wrap and a smaller USPS shirtbox, you can ship 1-2 books in a well packaged priority box for under $5.

What's a shirtbox? Is it free like the other ones?

I guess I will start asking sellers to send in boxes again. Never had a book in a box well packed every get damaged. Manilla Envelopes are death sentence for a comic book. As a seller I would never brag about shipping this route even with 4 pieces of sturdy cardboard. I know several do it, but as a seller myself I prefer a little higher shipping because I use bubble wrap with cardboard and then pack it safely in a box.

You've got me worried about shipping in an envelope. I use the priority envelopes with stiff cardboard and bubble wrap. I've only had one complaint, but that was because I made a mistake in the packaging.

Maybe I'll give buyers the option...

even bent 50 backing boards one time that were shipped in an envelope, and shoved them into the box, and I know that took some effort, because they were tough to get back out. At least they were good for storing the bent books. :(

Now that's funny.

I get all my books sent to work, where the mailman hands them to us over the counter.

that guy deserves a serious beating. That's no longer lazy, its just downright malicious. It probably took more effort to bend the boards than it would have to walk them up to the porch. :censored: when I lived in Los Angeles this happened more often then not. Now in Pittsburgh I haven't had the slightest ding on a flat rate env. Very happy with my mail lady :grin:

Edited by Comixcroz

same here, a $20 and a $10 McDonalds gift card

but beware the muscular substitute driver who can bend any package to fit the box

So, I take it from the last couple of pages of posts that . . . we are adding the USPS to the Probation List? hm(shrug)lol

I nominate the USPS to the list. I received a book from Steve Lauterbach that was insured, had the insurance tag attached, was well packed. Unfortunately, looked like the box had been run over several times by a truck. It has been almost twelve months since I surrendered the book and made a claim. I have documented 1 fax, 13 phone calls, and 3 trips to the PO to try to recover my measley $80. Truly pathetic, uncaring and irresponsible service from our esteemed postal service. :pullhair:

Me too - and since I buy postage on line, the only time I have to wait in line and interact with the USPS counterfolk (who are actually quite nice in my town) is when I make a sale to those dang foreigners.......

You actually don't have to wait in line for the international packages. You are allowed to walk to the front and hand it to them (when they finish with their current customer).

Me too - and since I buy postage on line, the only time I have to wait in line and interact with the USPS counterfolk (who are actually quite nice in my town) is when I make a sale to those dang foreigners.......

You actually don't have to wait in line for the international packages. You are allowed to walk to the front and hand it to them (when they finish with their current customer).

That would be for an envelope only, and technically, they are supposed to ask you the 3 stoopid questions too :grin:

So, I take it from the last couple of pages of posts that . . . we are adding the USPS to the Probation List? hm(shrug)lol

I nominate the USPS to the list. I received a book from Steve Lauterbach that was insured, had the insurance tag attached, was well packed. Unfortunately, looked like the box had been run over several times by a truck. It has been almost twelve months since I surrendered the book and made a claim. I have documented 1 fax, 13 phone calls, and 3 trips to the PO to try to recover my measley $80. Truly pathetic, uncaring and irresponsible service from our esteemed postal service. :pullhair:

:sorry: They definitely make the list! lol

If people would buy a postal scale, and use bubble wrap and a smaller USPS shirtbox, you can ship 1-2 books in a well packaged priority box for under $5.

Yes - it's the smaller over-sized comic mailer box - more importantly, it is lighter.

this one: linky

not this one: stinky

I probably live in a politer place than you do - I would never do that here.

Yes - it's the smaller over-sized comic mailer box - more importantly, it is lighter.

The O-1097 box is the one I use most of the time. (thumbs u

Thanks, I'll see if my PO has that one.

Thanks, I'll see if my PO has that one.

:gossip: Create a USPS account online and order them for free.

I guess I will start asking sellers to send in boxes again. Never had a book in a box well packed every get damaged. Manilla Envelopes are death sentence for a comic book. As a seller I would never brag about shipping this route even with 4 pieces of sturdy cardboard. I know several do it, but as a seller myself I prefer a little higher shipping because I use bubble wrap with cardboard and then pack it safely in a box.

I agree with every word of this. :applause: I know that many folks ship comics in envelopes with no problems, but I cringe every time I receive one. I've received SO many corner-dinged envelopes from sellers, even when heavy cardboard was used inside. At this point I ship 99% of my items in padded Priority boxes, and (knock on wood) never had any problems sending or receiving countless packages with this method.