• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Y the Last Man

236 posts in this topic

So, can we say:

fonziejumping.jpg

shark-jump.gif

JUMP, FONZIE! JUMP!!

(For those of you not familiar with the concept of "jumping the shark," please, check out Jump The Shark and find out why Y-The Last Man just went from one of the coolest books on the racks to a book that every fan is better off leaving behind after this month's issue.

boo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gif

Come on, they build up the story about the astronauts coming back for what, four, five, SIX issues and when they get back they just BLOW up???? GIVE ME A BREAK! NOW we're supposed to linger in suspense because the WOMAN made it out alive and she is carrying the child of one of her crewmen? And we don't know if it's a boy or a girl yet?? Baaarrrrrrf. Hell, now that they "had" to leave the woman and her unborn child, we may NEVER know what the kid was! This is impossibly disappointing. Why sacrifice a good story just so you can keep selling books? (That was more a rhetorical whine than a question...) When good books go bad it makes me want to never pick up a monthly again.

Fortunately, I did pick up "Fire" by Bendis and it's quite good so far...

When did you learn to read? insane.gif You must keep us in the loop regarding these significant developments... and who finally had the guts to teach you? There were strict orders never to let this happen..it was greggy, wasn't it? Busy playing with his Golden Lasso and Bulletproof Bracelets again...Can't he keep his one-eye on you for just one second? tongue.gif

When did you learn to read? insane.gif You must keep us in the loop regarding these significant developments... and who finally had the guts to teach you? There were strict orders never to let this happen..it was greggy, wasn't it? Busy playing with his Golden Lasso and Bulletproof Bracelets again...Can't he keep his one-eye on you for just one second? tongue.gif

Shoot, I learnt tuh reid uh loooooonge tyme ugo!

But seriously, Darth, I've been reading for years. Who do you think taught your mom how to read that home pregnancy test.... son?

Damn Khaos! You are correct! And here I was all excited to read it b/c of your "Spoiler Warning". The ship blowing up was a really cheap turn. I'll pick up the next issue, but it better get back on track quickly. Really disappointing. frown.gif

Thank goodness "100 Bullets" comes out next week (finally). It's still going strong after 40+ issues. cloud9.gif

Chris

Damn Khaos! You are correct! And here I was all excited to read it b/c of your "Spoiler Warning". The ship blowing up was a really cheap turn. I'll pick up the next issue, but it better get back on track quickly. Really disappointing. frown.gif

Thank goodness "100 Bullets" comes out next week (finally). It's still going strong after 40+ issues. cloud9.gif

Chris

What really sucks about all this is Y was the book that I was telling all my more literate non-comic friends to read!! 893whatthe.gif They're all hooked as of the first two trades, but what now?!?!? 893frustrated.gif

But hot damn I can't wait for 100B next week!!!! WOO HOO! I got a look at a preview today! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Is it going bi-monthly until they finish their Batman run? (Is it the dynamic duo or is it just one of them? Oh hell, I'm excited for that too... I'll never be able to stop buying these damned things.) wink.gifstooges.gif

What really sucks about all this is Y was the book that I was telling all my more literate non-comic friends to read!! They're all hooked as of the first two trades, but what now?!?!?

Give them "Preacher". Not quite as "smart" but, as you know, impossible to put down.

But hot damn I can't wait for 100B next week!!!! WOO HOO! I got a look at a preview today! Is it going bi-monthly until they finish their Batman run? (Is it the dynamic duo or is it just one of them?

I've heard both. First I heard bi-monthly, but then I heard it's going on-hold. Haven't been able to verify it w/ Risso's art dealer. Maybe House could provide the answer?

And, if by "dynamic duo" you mean Azz/Risso then, yes. They are both doing the Batman run. If you mean Batman/Robin, I highly doubt it. It's not going to pick up where "Hush" left off.

I do know that the newest Bullets arc is going to be about that "junkie minuteman" (the guy that had the pile of bodies in the basement of that abandoned building). Apparently, he shot his buddy at the end of that arc instead of himself. I'm expecting he and Wylie will cross paths. When Graves gave him (the junkie) the briefcase, the picture was of himself (the junkie). The junkie seems to have a bit of an "angry streak" in him, and I can see him coming after Graves. My guess is that Shepard will approach him to do this. Wylie's briefcase contained a picture of Shepard, so he's obviously going to be aligned w/ Graves (much like Cole is).

Chris

Is it going bi-monthly until they finish their Batman run?

I've heard both. First I heard bi-monthly, but then I heard it's going on-hold. Haven't been able to verify it w/ Risso's art dealer. Maybe House could provide the answer?

I'll ask Azz at the Vegas convention. He's a guest. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater yet.

Yeah, the resolution to this story arc is somewhat hokey, but I still like the series and recommend it to people looking for something different on the racks.

Kev

Interesting point of view on this...my wife, whose favorite comic is "Y", thought that the twists were exceptional, especially the pregnancy one. On top of that, the female LCS counter person (you know the one Chris) thought that it was a great issue as well. They talked it up last night in the shop about how great it was.

Could it have been a girl thing, nah then Chris would have enjoyed it just as much as they did.

Intern comes strong with a zinger! blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

And you're MARRIED?? Come on, you're only a freshman in college! You need to get your wife signed on here so we can do battle about this. Your age and your marital status, that is... not the book, of course.

But seriously, can I be serious for a second here? Seriously, I need to know. I think I'm stroking out here.

My problem with the book is that it was a storyline that was built up for waaaaaayyyyyy too long to have absolutely NO payoff in terms of the "bigger picture."

Can you imagine what was going through Vaughan's mind when he was writing this?

"Oh [!@#%^&^]. I have totally written myself into a corner here... what can I do to keep this going for as long as possible (not unlike every other comic series out there just never knew when to wrap up a storyline)? I know! I'll BLOW UP the astronauts! That will prove NOTHING! Then I'll add an unborn baby into the mix! Hell, babies take nine months to... to... germinate, right? Hey, in Comic Book Time (CBT), nine months is like 35 years! YES! I've got another four or five hundred issues here! Cha-CHING!"

893frustrated.gif

Khaos. I cant understand why this issue bothered you so much. I was confused and disappointed when the ship blew up too. But thought having her pregnant continued the angle of whether he's rally the last man or not. I mean, where esle is this going?? Other than a kind of Fugitive=type story, where he runs from place to place, surviving all kinds of wierd sh't amid plot device after plot device of rumors of other men around.

Thats sort of the point isnt it? Its called The Last man.

The alternative is for him to settle down and start repopulating the planet already! He probably shpuld too. Times a wasting!

Khaos. I cant understand why this issue bothered you so much. I was confused and disappointed when the ship blew up too. But thought having her pregnant continued the angle of whether he's rally the last man or not. I mean, where esle is this going?? Other than a kind of Fugitive=type story, where he runs from place to place, surviving all kinds of wierd sh't amid plot device after plot device of rumors of other men around.

Thats sort of the point isnt it? Its called The Last man.

The alternative is for him to settle down and start repopulating the planet already! He probably shpuld too. Times a wasting!

You just listed all the reasons why this is annoying and cheesy right there.

Besides, this ISN'T a "Fugitive-type" story... he's (apparently) the last freaking man on earth... why isn't he doing his part to repopulate the planet? The fact that they're utilizing every little way to continue the storyline without bringing any sort of resolution is both tacky and annoying. Reminds me of X-Men books where storylines will carry on into infinity with absolutely NO conclusion until they are just conveniently lost into the convoluted mythos.

I guess I would just rather have a "BOOK" that actually tells a "STORY" instead of just trying to run forever. I mean, do you know if men will even survive yet? Wasn't that the whole thing with the astronauts? Weren't they going to prove one way or the other whether men could even survive on earth or not? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893frustrated.gif

you want a story: meaning a beginning middle and an end I think.

Well, I agree that these finite series make strong reading. But DC wants an ongoing series to buttress the Vertigo line. They havent had one since Preacher luckily (timing wise) replaced Sandman as their money leader. Do to DC, they dont see the need for a resolution for quite awhile... I guess Im saying (pardon the expression) "Just lie back and enjoy it!"

Frankly, Im not loving it as much as I originally did.

But, its not because the astronauts died.