• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Y the Last Man

236 posts in this topic

Fables was a bit slow but has been very interesting as of late. Loved the Adversary reveal (called that WAY before they revealed), the wooden characters becoming meat was fun, and the search for Bigby was a quick and refreshing story.

Pat

I finally sat down and read the first TPB in a book store this month. Then, I ordered TPBs 2 thru 6 from ComicSupply. This weekend, I picked up the last two TPBs.

I can't think of any other series I've enjoyed enough to sit down and read 50 issues straight of and still want more.

THIS IS THE BEST MODERN COMIC SERIES.

If you still haven't read it, you're really missing out on a fun comic. I would recommend it to anyone.

You know, I'm dying (haha) to know the cause (ie the ending). But I don't want the frickin' thing to end. You just don't get many books this good.

From what Vaughan said awhile ago, it was supposed to end at #60. That means there is about 1 year left of books. No!!!!!

No!!!!!

As I've been reading this series, I'm thinking this thing has so many different characters it could really go on forever. There is a neverending stream of interesting situations.

I seriously hope they keep it going past #60. frown.gif

I seriously hope they keep it going past #60. frown.gif

I seriously hope they stop at # 60. I love close-ended series instead of never-ending runs. Books of Magic should have stopped around # 50 and not # 75 for example. Animal Man was limited and it needed to. Bone as a finite story works well. Strangers in Paradise was direly in need of a hard stop and now that it's been put in place the book has picked up in creative juices. I'm all in favor for series ending when it's planned.

For those who haven't read Y!, do so, you'll love it.

I've just started Machina too, read the first one, and while I'm not overwhelmed, it's a good enough read. I like the interjection of politics and alternate reality.

Also started Preacher and that's been phenomenal. Got through first 16 and it's hilarious. I'm going to pick up the rest that I'm missing.

haven't looked at fables, lucifer or sandman (although I got the absolute for that one). Any insight here?

I like 100 bullets too, but it seems to have slowed a little bit, kind of like Lost, but I'm hoping it picks back up.

Okay, I officially pass on the title of Last Man to read Last Man to NR. May his reign be a short one as someone else discovers the book.

The worst part about reading all the TPBs is waiting for vol. 8 to come out. frustrated.gif

Now I'm the last man not to read this.

I'm interested now. anyone got a general blurb on what it's about with no spoilers?

Not to be a jerk....but a guy named Yorick is the last man on earth(or is he?) due to a mysterious illness.

The series itself concerns Y's mission to reunite with a loved one(s) and the people he encounters along the way. Lots of introspect, humor, action, and MONKEYS!!!!!!.

I finally sat down and read the first TPB in a book store this month. Then, I ordered TPBs 2 thru 6 from ComicSupply. This weekend, I picked up the last two TPBs.

I can't think of any other series I've enjoyed enough to sit down and read 50 issues straight of and still want more.

<H1>THIS IS THE BEST MODERN COMIC SERIES.</h1>

If you still haven't read it, you're really missing out on a fun comic. I would recommend it to anyone.

Hear, hear! And Brian K. Vaughan is the best modern writer. Check out EX-MACHINA and THE ESCAPISTS as well.

I know they've been recommended a million times here, but THE WALKING DEAD and THE GOON (my personal favorite) also rank as great modern series. THE GOON is especially remarkable because it's written and drawn by the same guy (Eric Powell). I've read comics for 30 years and the last time I got this excited over a writer/artist was Frank Miller on DAREDEVIL. That's about the highest praise I can give the guy.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, just wanted to recommend a couple of other books for those who like Y.

I have to agree that it should end sooner than later. Though I absolutely love the book, it's best to go out on a high note (like Shaq should have done after winning last year's ring!!!). I'll miss it, but longingly.

As far as Fables, definitely check it out. Seems like a lot of people lost interest and dropped it. It was a bit slow for some issues. But I REALLY love the latest arc with the Adversary "War". It's definitely one of my favorites.

I'll agree that Ex Machina is very solid. This book seems to be about 50-50 for people though. The political views are really the make-or-break for people. Personally, even if I don't always agree, I love it (though I tend to find that I do agree with a lot of Vaughan's views).

Preacher, probably the best book that I missed out on. I'm reading those currently too. Bought a whole run at a convention. Boy, talk about crazy and fun. Not a big Ennis fan (or rather, depends on the book), but this is solid. And to answer the question now: Yes, Boys is one of the books that I love by Ennis. If you haven't read The Pro (one-shot, AHAHAHAH), you've got to as soon as possible. Straight up comedy and a solid read. With one issue in prestige format, can't go wrong.

100 Bullets has lost a lot of interest for me. I've seriously considered pulling it from my weekly want list. Hard though because I love Vertigo so much.

Pat

Hear, hear! And Brian K. Vaughan is the best modern writer. Check out EX-MACHINA and THE ESCAPISTS as well.

I know they've been recommended a million times here, but THE WALKING DEAD and THE GOON (my personal favorite) also rank as great modern series. THE GOON is especially remarkable because it's written and drawn by the same guy (Eric Powell). I've read comics for 30 years and the last time I got this excited over a writer/artist was Frank Miller on DAREDEVIL. That's about the highest praise I can give the guy.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread, just wanted to recommend a couple of other books for those who like Y.

Haven't read Ex-Machina because I'm not sure how much I'd like it.

Escapist and Escapists are great. Still working on filling in my run of The Escapist (all 8 issues of it tongue.gif).

I've been a Goon fan since the Hellboy crossover.

I read the first few TPBs of Preacher and 100 Bullets, but they are really a little too violent for my taste. I'll eventually read more of them.

Next modern series I plan on tackling is Invincible.

What else ya got? popcorn.gif

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like these books:

Exterminators...funny and weird

Jack of Fables...the first arc has been great

DMZ...gritty

Other Side...just started but it's about the vietnam war told from the perspective of an American and a North Vietnamese...love it through the first two issues

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like these books:

Exterminators...funny and weird

Jack of Fables...the first arc has been great

DMZ...gritty

Other Side...just started but it's about the vietnam war told from the perspective of an American and a North Vietnamese...love it through the first two issues

I love Exterminators as well cloud9.gif

Haven't read Ex-Machina because I'm not sure how much I'd like it.

Escapist and Escapists are great. Still working on filling in my run of The Escapist (all 8 issues of it tongue.gif).

I've been a Goon fan since the Hellboy crossover.

I read the first few TPBs of Preacher and 100 Bullets, but they are really a little too violent for my taste. I'll eventually read more of them.

Next modern series I plan on tackling is Invincible.

What else ya got? popcorn.gif

Cool, we've got similar taste! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I read a ton of new stuff. I also like 100 BULLETS, THE LOSERS (now cancelled), THE OTHER SIDE, etc. I guess a little Vertigo-centric.

But the one comic I put in the Y/WALKING DEAD class would be SUPREME POWER. There were 18 issues that have been collected into 3 trades. Check them out.

The title has since been morphed into SQUADRON SUPREME, a PG-13 variation. Sorry to say, the title has lost some of its edge. Still a solid read, but not as compelling as before. SP was an R-rated take on the formation of the Justice League, with the "Superman" analogue as the center. So it was more interesting to see how these super-beings got their powers. Sort of one long origin sequence. SS is about the team...less interesting to me.

Anyhow, check it out, hope you like it!

<H1>THIS IS THE BEST MODERN COMIC SERIES.</h1>

thumbsup2.gif