• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Y the Last Man

236 posts in this topic

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like these books:

Exterminators...funny and weird

Jack of Fables...the first arc has been great

DMZ...gritty

Other Side...just started but it's about the vietnam war told from the perspective of an American and a North Vietnamese...love it through the first two issues

Just my opinions:

Exterminators - Not my cup of tea. Excessive cruelty to animals, even in a comedic fashion, is not funny to me. The one exception is Baxter getting punted over the bridge in Ron Burgundy.

Jack of Fables - At first, I thought this was going to be lame. Even the cover really didn't do it for me. But the read is very good. Highly recommended. As someone mentioned in another thread, the Fables-based Jack story was not that great (to me at least). But the stand-alone series is sharp.

DMZ - Fantastic book. One of the better modern writers who still doesn't get enough respect. Loved the one-shot Dee issue. Could easily be a movie.

Other Side - I don't know if I've read this one. How old is it? Or is this the Ennis book?

Pat

On a side note, if you like Brian Wood (from DMZ), definitely try Local. Such a solid book and nothing to do with super-heroey stuff. I've been trying to get all of Demo but am missing a few. Saw there is a super-Graphic Novel with all 12 issues though.

Pat

Just got TPB #8 today and was slightly disappointed in all of the flashback scenes. I seem to remember some folks complaining about this when the monthly issues were hitting the stands.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to a finite ending because at this rate of storytelling the book could probably have ended already without all of the filler issues.

Strangers in Paradise was direly in need of a hard stop and now that it's been put in place the book has picked up in creative juices.

Amen, brother, I've got the five pocket edition books and can't bring myself to read the last one, though I keep hearing the series has picked up now that the end is in sight...I think I'll wait till it's over and slog it through then.

I think Y could go for 70-80 issues if DC really wanted it to, but stopping at 60 ain't a horrible idea either. I do love the series.

Speaking of maxi-series, I've finally promised myself to read an issue of Cerebus a day until I finish the run, from start to finish. Seems a shame that I've only read around the series (High Society, Church & State, Jaka's story---which I love the best), as I've got every one of the durned phonebooks, so I decided to finally do it right...should only take a year. insane.gif Having a blast with 'em! grin.gif

I understand your point about too many flashbacks. But I don't see why people want this series to end.

I guess I'm the only one who wants the story to continue past #60.

frown.gif

Unless they do something stupid like kill everyone off in the last story arc, I think there will be room for mini-series to follow up what happens to the characters years down the road.

smile.gif

I recently got sucked into this series and read every issue over the course of a week or so. Since I read it so fast, I never really noticed a drop off in quality and am still looking forward to each new issue.

I love the series but probably think it's best to end it with a bang instead of letting it peter out down the line. I do hope they leave it open for some mini series down the line. Even if everyone dies at the end, the world is so interesting that I would like to read a mini series or four about random people in it.

-Bob

By the way, for those who haven't read it, you can read the first full issue in .pdf online from the DC website HERE (or right click to download and save as). I warn you though, if you don't have some money lying around to buy these TPBs today, i don't reccommend reading it. thumbsup2.gif

Exactly. 27_laughing.gif I finally sat down to read the first TPB in a bookstore last month and got hooked.

Not that that's a bad thing.

I recently got the first tpb, and have instantly become a fan. I can't wait to pick up additional trades........

Talking to the owner of my LCS last week, he mentioned that anytime someone buys the 1st TPB of Y...they are immediately hooked and will usually read all of the TPBS within the next few weeks. So welcome to the club. 893applaud-thumb.gif

For whatever reason, I had never bought or even flipped through any of the "Y, the Last Man" comics. Based on all the praise the series has gotten the past few years, I'd felt like I was the only comic reading person left who hadn't taken the plunge.

Well last week I found myself at a local book store without any decent new paperback releases to be found. So I took a chance and got a copy of the new Y #1 - TPB release. So now I'm hooked and have read the first 3 trades this past week...and just popped a bin for the next 3 trades on ebay.

So yeah, it's good......well paced, thoughtful, and even does a nice job of being fair to both sexes.

I can relate to this for sure thumbsup2.gif

I was out of town a 6 months ago and was bored. So I ran down to a LCS to see what they had. All they had was moderns and I've moved away from Moderns. Well I saw they had all the TBS for this series and remembered hearing how well it's done. I picked up a the first two and went back to the hotel room. That night I couldn't put them down. The next day I was counting the hours until the LCS opened up so I could pick up the rest of the TBS. I'm looking forward to the cure but not the end of the series. I actually started collecting the regualr series comics. Anyhow, my next modern book to read will be, The Walking dead...just picked up a set of TBS off ebay. I used to hate TBS now I love them. You can read like 5 books in one shot cool.gif The only down side is the wait.

For whatever reason, I had never bought or even flipped through any of the "Y, the Last Man" comics. Based on all the praise the series has gotten the past few years, I'd felt like I was the only comic reading person left who hadn't taken the plunge.

Well last week I found myself at a local book store without any decent new paperback releases to be found. So I took a chance and got a copy of the new Y #1 - TPB release. So now I'm hooked and have read the first 3 trades this past week...and just popped a bin for the next 3 trades on ebay.

So yeah, it's good......well paced, thoughtful, and even does a nice job of being fair to both sexes.

I can relate to this for sure thumbsup2.gif

I was out of town a 6 months ago and was bored. So I ran down to a LCS to see what they had. All they had was moderns and I've moved away from Moderns. Well I saw they had all the TBS for this series and remembered hearing how well it's done. I picked up a the first two and went back to the hotel room. That night I couldn't put them down. The next day I was counting the hours until the LCS opened up so I could pick up the rest of the TBS. I'm looking forward to the cure but not the end of the series. I actually started collecting the regualr series comics. Anyhow, my next modern book to read will be, The Walking dead...just picked up a set of TBS off ebay . I used to hate TBS now I love them. You can read like 5 books in one shot cool.gif The only down side is the wait.

I'm sure you'll be hooked once you read The Walking Dead 893applaud-thumb.gif

Along with Fell, The Boys, Fear Agent, and Y:The Last Man, it's one of my favorites

I have every issue, been getting them new since the series started, and I've read none of them. With the series ended at issue 60, I probably wil be waiting so I can read them straight through.

Can't wait. =)

I have every issue, been getting them new since the series started, and I've read none of them. With the series ended at issue 60, I probably wil be waiting so I can read them straight through.

Can't wait. =)

sell me #1 - 5

poke2.gif