• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think a CGC 1.5 is still collectible?

60 posts in this topic

I haven't owned a 1.5 in a slab, but I had a 2.0 JLA #1, not GA, but early SA.... and, well, the thing looked pretty darn good for that grade. No rips, just a fair amount of generalized "wear", but no pieces out or anything, cream pages, maybe a little pencil on the cover. I think CGC might have been tough on that one and it should have been a 3.0, so it really depends on the book. usually they're more liberal with GA material though, so I don't know if you'll find 1.5 - 2.os that look as good as that one did.

post the scan, i'm curious what the 1.5 looks like

brittle pages are a problem, but I've sold books in a slab with "slightly brittle" or whatever they use. i had to discount them a little more, but people paid real money.

I don't own a 1.5 either, and agree with you that a 2.0 still can look pretty good. This is the lowest graded book I own, but I think it looks nice for a 2.0 confused-smiley-013.gif

FF1.jpg

If it satisfies your desires it is worth it. If you not buying for investment and the price is right for you and the condition meets your satisfaction then I cannot see why you would not buy a book. We all make exceptions to our collecting criteria.

A key golden age book in 1.5 IS an investment!

A meaningless high grade book priced at multiples of guide or a common modern slabbed 9.8 book is an an investment only under the greater fool heory.

I love low grade comics, as long as they are still desireable in low grade. I have a Detective #39 with the front cover only. It's one of my favorite books! However, I wouldn't be so proud to own a Detective 300 in the same condition. I'd love to own beaters of Batman 1-10, Detective 27-50, etc.

If it satisfies your desires it is worth it. If you not buying for investment and the price is right for you and the condition meets your satisfaction then I cannot see why you would not buy a book. We all make exceptions to our collecting criteria.

A key golden age book in 1.5 IS an investment!

A meaningless high grade book priced at multiples of guide or a common modern slabbed 9.8 book is an an investment only under the greater fool heory.

So true.

I haven't owned a 1.5 in a slab, but I had a 2.0 JLA #1, not GA, but early SA.... and, well, the thing looked pretty darn good for that grade. No rips, just a fair amount of generalized "wear", but no pieces out or anything, cream pages, maybe a little pencil on the cover. I think CGC might have been tough on that one and it should have been a 3.0, so it really depends on the book. usually they're more liberal with GA material though, so I don't know if you'll find 1.5 - 2.os that look as good as that one did.

brittle pages are a problem, but I've sold books in a slab with "slightly brittle" or whatever they use. i had to discount them a little more, but people paid real money.

I don't own a 1.5 either, and agree with you that a 2.0 still can look pretty good. This is the lowest graded book I own, but I think it looks nice for a 2.0 confused-smiley-013.gif

FF1.jpg

Chrome that is a great looking copy, you should crack it out of the slabb and enjoy it. It will look even better in a mylar.

FF1.jpg

Nice book thumbsup2.gif

I recently sent in an All Star 8 and it came back a 1.5 Universal cream to off white. The book is complete. Do you think it is still a collectible?

All old comics are collectible if they are complete and can still be read. cloud9.gif

Here is another good example of a great low grade collectable. Spine is completely split, but all pages are very securely attatched and off-white. Graded Fair copy, but still highly collectable. I prefer VG or better, but sometimes if the price is right it can fill until a better copy comes around and then be sold for more than you paid.

HumanTorch8-1.jpg

Most of my key issues are in less than "collectable" condition, but that allows me to have more of them cause I spend on 5 what others spend on 1.

Hell yeah! If not for 1.5s (and below) I wouldn't own some of my coolest books!!! Think of it this way, man: someday, ALL of these books are gonna be ash when the sun goes nova and nobody is here to give a damn anyway. So enjoy 'em ALL now...cuz it's always later than you think!!!! grin.gif

An indication of what's wrong with the hobby is that your thread headline doesn't even mention the book title or issue number.

It's as if the title of the book were replaced by the title "CGC" and the issue number replaced by the grade number, and there is no reason for any additional information.

screwy.gif

An indication of what's wrong with the hobby is that your thread headline doesn't even mention the book title or issue number.

It's as if the title of the book were replaced by the title "CGC" and the issue number replaced by the grade number, and there is no reason for any additional information.

screwy.gif

Sometimes generality is easier. confused-smiley-013.gif