• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any other "Type" collectors out there? How do you collect?

56 posts in this topic

...At this point, I'm sort of a "type" collector looking for one nice book from all of the major titles. Does anyone else collect in this same manner, and if not, how do you classify your collecting interests? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...At this point, I'm sort of a "type" collector looking for one nice book from all of the major titles. Does anyone else collect in this same manner, and if not, how do you classify your collecting interests? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I focused on Batman until I finished the run. Now I am on to Detective which I don't think I will ever finish. I also keep a few Marvel Silver age titles. Other than that, I have a list of "favorite covers" that I keep knocking down each year, but there are enough on it that I don't think I will ever complete them all.

My 12 year old daughter just started collecting. Her first book was a Superboy #76, and she just purchased a Sensation Comics #72 I guess you could call that a "type" collector.

For me, I'm working on Action Comics #65 through #108

There was a very cool old thread about this.

How do you collect?

I'm a GA villain collector. I've recently decided to go after my holy grails... first GA appearances of the major Batman villains. My first acquisition is on it's way.

I'm thinking of going after Catwoman covers as she's my fav GA villian

For a while I was collecting issue # 50 from every gold book that lasted that long. I have quite a few, but my interest died out. Maybe I'll revive it soon?

Being a fairly new collector of four years and only joining these boards recently have really confused my collecting interests seeing so many incredible books posted here. thumbsup2.gif

I have some SA/BA runs I'm working on like Spidey, Cap,Avengers, OAAW, SSWS, TTA and I now I try to try to pick up books with covers that really interest me that are awesome in my opinion from any era or title. My interests have really broadened since joining these boards with the more knowledge I gain from many of you experts. hail.gifhail.gif

Great idea for a post topic and I'm always interested in what many of you other members are collecting.

There was a very cool old thread about this.

How do you collect?

I'm a GA villain collector. I've recently decided to go after my holy grails... first GA appearances of the major Batman villains. My first acquisition is on it's way.

I'm thinking of going after Catwoman covers as she's my fav GA villian

I agree. I think Catwoman is one of the more cool villains. But I don't think any villain from the Golden Age can top Dr. Death. The way he looked, his superhero enemy of course, his evil scientist mentality, and his name speaks for itself. 1147857026609_vampire.gif

I collect mainly stuff I liked when I was a kid. Mostly this falls under Batman, Archie and Daredevil, but I intend to start branching out to a couple schomburg covers, Green Lantern, and a nice midgrade superman 14.

My GA collecting interests have focused on 1-2 issues across 120+ major titles....strong preference for classic/war/flag covers and nice GGA. This way, I can upgrade individual Title issues often using proceeds from sales as part of the new book purchase. thumbsup2.gif

This complements my OA collecton of Silver Age splash pages covering each of my favorite childhood heroes.

GE

My GA collecting interests have focused on 1-2 issues across 120+ major titles....strong preference for classic/war/flag covers and nice GGA. This way, I can upgrade individual Title issues often using proceeds from sales as part of the new book purchase. thumbsup2.gif

This complements my OA collecton of Silver Age splash pages covering each of my favorite childhood heroes.

GE

Ooooh, neat stuff! thumbsup2.gif

I am a completist all the way.

One little set I was able to complete was to get a pedigree copy of a cool horror book from each pre-code publisher. It wasn't that easy to do as some of these companies (28 of them, IIRC) only puslished 1 or 2 or a handful of issues.

As far as Silver and later....I've always been a run collector....

but with GA, I've tried to get a nice example of many different publishers, titles, genres.....

every now and then a "run mentality" hits me with GA books, but for the most part, I'm satisfied with a few sweet copies of each....that'll change as I truly start to amass them, and then I'll be cover and run driven.

I'm a SA/BA completist, who's wrapping up his ASM run. I also collect by character (Phantom Stranger, Spectre and Silver Surfer). I won't be able to afford to collect a complete run of any GA title, so I will probably try to pick up only books from a specific publisher such as Timely.

I have mostly been a block collector. My main focus has been Silver age Marvel i.e. ASM 1-100, FF 1-100, Avengers 1-57, Tos 39-99, DD 1-50 ect..and Silver age DC first appearances, and early run issues. That is until the last 14 months or so, I decided the thrill of SA was gone, I could always find any key in just about any grade....it was only money and you could have it. So I started trying to buy low grade MMC's and CAP's at guide on ebay, never worked. I realized real quick that not only did they sell above guide but they where hard to locate specific issues. You actually had to wait and, and then bid against many others who have been waiting for that issue. After I won my first a Cap 41, I was hooked this expanded to Caps, MMC's, AW, AS, and then other GA titles. I had several GA issues that I picked up here and there over the last 25 years, but I had no focus. I had Westerns, Horror, Funny books, a few early Sups, a More Fun. A spatering here and there. Now I am cover collecting out side of Timely, and run completing most Timely titles. There will be a few GA small runs outside of Timely titles, but not many. I like Junior, Sunny, Phantom Lady, and I might try a Suspense run someday. So I guess at this point, I cover, Block, and run collect. Oh, and I still love picking up certain artist, but mainly by covers which draw me in.

Paul

In my earlier collecting days, I bought stuff haphazardly in nicer grades. Mostly Marvel and DC silver and bronze superhero.

Now, I'm liquidating a bunch of that to feed my renewed passion in my first love, DC war comics, specifically GI Combat, Our Fighting Forces, and Our Army at War. cloud9.gif

However, I still have a soft spot for Spideys, Thors, and Marvel/DC bronze horror.