• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

Well, I'm all for a JCoM Pixar series; but I sure don't want to see Narnia flop. A dead Narnia as a condition precedent to a live JC blows.

Sorry Theagenes, I read Narnia at age 12 (& again in graduate school); didn't read JC until maybe as old as 35! Nostalgia prevails bro!!

Well, I'm all for a JCoM Pixar series; but I sure don't want to see Narnia flop. A dead Narnia as a condition precedent to a live JC blows.

Sorry Theagenes, I read Narnia at age 12 (& again in graduate school); didn't read JC until maybe as old as 35! Nostalgia prevails bro!!

I completely agree, actually. I'm torn on this one. I just want to see a JC movie finally come to fruition - there have been several unsuccessful attempts over the last 70+ years. Sometimes it seems like a cursed franchise.

I completely agree, actually. I'm torn on this one. I just want to see a JC movie finally come to fruition - there have been several unsuccessful attempts over the last 70+ years. Sometimes it seems like a cursed franchise.

The time is right for a J.C.O.M. movie In the past when I heard a movie was being planned I allways wondered how it could be done, "think 4 armed double torsoed Tharks!"

Now with C.G. With the proper -script that movie could ROCK!!

Read all the Burroughs Books at least twice.

My favorite would be the Venus Series with Carson Napier.

But The Martian series is a very close second!!

Venus Series hm

In the middle of something now (just waaaaay too nerdy to mention) & then it is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress; after which I'll be needing something to read; so...we'll see!

Do yourself a favor and read this series you will not be dissapointed.

Looks like Prince Caspian took the top spot at the box office away from Stark this weekend. Is $56 million good or bad?

* HC pics to follow... ;)

I nabbed these two hardcovers, during different trips, from the same local Goodwill! Both were in great shape and included the original Frazetta dustjackets. (thumbs u

Someone there must've known they were good because they were priced at a whopping $1.99ea.! :grin:

Princess of Mars -- Book Club Edition, 1970:

PrincessofMarsHC1970.jpg

Gods of Mars & Warlord of Mars -- Book Club Edition, 1971:

GodsWarlordofMarsHC1971.jpg

... great thread! :bump:

Here are some of the GA John Carter books that I posted earlier in the thread with fixed links. Many of these are tough books.

John Carter's first appearance in comics was in the Funnies 30 in 1939:

Funnies30fcsm2.jpg

Funnies30int01edit2.jpg

Funnies30int02edit2.jpg

Here are some of the GA John Carter books that I posted earlier in the thread with fixed links. Many of these are tough books.

John Carter's first appearance in comics was in the Funnies 30 in 1939:

Funnies30fcsm2.jpg

Funnies30int01edit2.jpg

Funnies30int02edit2.jpg

one of the greatest origins ever, you can tell Adam Strange was influenced by it.

one of the greatest origins ever, you can tell Adam Strange was influenced by it.

Not to mention Superman. :) Originally Superman was able to leap great distances due to Earth's lesser gravity. The ability to fly and the yellow sun being the source of his power were later additions.

Jeff,

WOW, those are outstanding books -- especially the #35 & #37! (worship) (worship)

Thanks for sharing the origin panels too, I had never seen those before. :D

Awesome collection, Sir!

Thanks! It took me a while to put those together - they're tough books to find. I realy wish I could find the file copy of 36 so I would have the set.

Funnies35fcsm3.jpg

One thing I always found funny with the artistic representations of the 4-Armerd Aliens was that (until I saw the cover above) all the renderings I remember seeing from the Marvel series, etc. had them "anatomically unbelievable". I'd imagine you'd need another shoulder system, chest and pectoral muscles to operate extra arms with any strength or leverage. lol The second set just can't be stuck up against the side of a ribcage and function.

:roflmao:

Even Spider-Man when he grew the extra arms had "ribcage arms". How the likes of Gil Kane, Frazetta and others missed this... I'll never get.

Thanks, Theagenes, for the historical perspective through covers and, especially, the scans of the interior art. Interior scans are my favourite part of Gold Comics and it's nice to see a little of this in General.

Interiors are not much a part of Silver Comics as, I'm afraid, too many of the books are slabbed.

ERB started much of what we all admire today on these boards. Theagenes inspires us to continue looking back to where this all began (he is also one of the nicest guys I've met in a hobby filled to the top of the ink well with nice guys).

This is all I have to contribute of substance, worth looking at for the great Micheal Whelan covers from 1979.

Deja Thoris :cloud9:

img761.jpg