• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

The 100 million is for prints and advertising. An when you open on 3000+ screens and around the world, 100 million creeps up pretty fast. If its fudged it's by 10-20% as with all GLs.

No conspiracy to see here.

Prints are in the advertising budget? Wow, I always thought they were part of the production costs. That would explain a lot.

The 100 million is for prints and advertising. An when you open on 3000+ screens and around the world, 100 million creeps up pretty fast. If its fudged it's by 10-20% as with all GLs.

Prints are in the advertising budget? Wow, I always thought they were part of the production costs. That would explain a lot.

I always assumed the same thing - the costs announced for a movie were the total costs.

Amazing what you learn on the boards with even non-comic topics.

I always assumed the same thing - the costs announced for a movie were the total costs.

Amazing what you learn on the boards with even non-comic topics.

I'm always amazed at the body of knowledge in our little community here.

It's like "Wikicomica."

Its been mentioned here before, but one of the strangest things to me is the lack of merchandising. Action Figures, Mcdonalds toys etc. This stuff allways comes to Market around Disney Fliks, at least as far as I can remember. My kids are grown now so its been a few years since I bought a Happy Meal.

Can anyone think of another Disney or Pixar movie that was released, so completely lacking in Merchandising?

I think the lack of toys is very telling. Disney pretty much merchandises everything, even their TV movies.

I agree.

Maybe people were saving their money for the Hunger Games instead?

How Hunger Games became a blockbuster and John Carter a miss baffles me.

Hunger Games a blockbuster!

This movie is Epic!! I don't care what anyone says! It is badazz... Critics did not get it right; I'm sure when star wars came out, some duffus said it was stupid. "C'mon!! "The force"?...give me a break! The bad guy wore a ridiculous suit, and what was the deal with the energized 'light sabers.' "

John Carter is the Back To The Future of the future... :headbang:

Its been mentioned here before, but one of the strangest things to me is the lack of merchandising. Action Figures, Mcdonalds toys etc. This stuff allways comes to Market around Disney Fliks, at least as far as I can remember. My kids are grown now so its been a few years since I bought a Happy Meal.

Can anyone think of another Disney or Pixar movie that was released, so completely lacking in Merchandising?

I think the lack of toys is very telling. Disney pretty much merchandises everything, even their TV movies.

I agree.

Look at the audience: teen girls and their moms. It's like Twilight in that way, but from what I've heard, they're actually good books and the movie is getting good press, too. The books are a huge success with teens and adults. It appeals to girls and boys. It'll be a huge success.

I agree.

If we a reading Suzanne Collins and the Hunger Games in the first quarter of the 22nd century, I will be impressed.

I just got back from watching John Carter and was pretty happy. I thought the CGI was excellent and the changes to the story hung together well. The 9th ray transport to Mars made a lot more sense than the unexplained occurrence in the books. The CGI was excellent and seemless. The acting was good enough for a movie that was not really character driven. Overall I was happy and the 2 hours 20 minutes went by pretty fast.

I think the movie suffered from the lack of marketing already discussed. I never say a single ad on TV or in print and only learned about it from the net. The name was also bad as I mentioned before. And finally, I think there have been so many similar movies made that even if you recognize how ground breaking it was 100 years ago, it is hard to get excited. That is, unfortunately, the fate of anything that is so good it is copied ad infinitum until the original material seems just more of the same.

Unfortunately, the Hunger Games will probably do very well. I have not read the books, but I read the summary on Wikipedia. It sounds like the same old arena story that has been told to death. I have already watched Kirk and the Gorn. What makes it even worse is now we get to see 12 to 18 year olds kill each other. I am really not sure why anyone would want to watch this stuff. I am not sure how stories that show so little imagination are so successful.

Mike

I saw John Carter 2 weeks ago, and I saw Hunger Games last night.

In my mind JC blows HG out of the water. I was pretty disappointed with HG. My wife, who is not a comic or sci-fi geek at all, liked John Carter so much, but thought HG was actually kind of sick.

I would much rather see a JC sequel.

In my mind JC blows HG out of the water. I was pretty disappointed with HG. My wife, who is not a comic or sci-fi geek at all, liked John Carter so much, but thought HG was actually kind of sick.

I also kept thinking, "Isn't this just "Running Man" with teenagers?"

I have not seen the movie or read the book, but this is my impression from the general plot line.

My wife and I just got back from John Carter. Neither one of us ever read the books or was familiar with any of the characters; but we both enjoy super-hero movies. We both loved this movie. Solid from beginning to end with no lame ending that seems to almost ruin otherwise great movies. I will definitely add this one to my blu-ray collection when it comes out!

My wife and I just got back from John Carter. Neither one of us ever read the books or was familiar with any of the characters; but we both enjoy super-hero movies. We both loved this movie. Solid from beginning to end with no lame ending that seems to almost ruin otherwise great movies. I will definitely add this one to my blu-ray collection when it comes out!

I'm trying to think of the last time there was such a disconnect between the movie going public and the critics on a movie like this. Maybe word of mouth will one day accomplish what $100 million of Disney marketing dollars couldn't and turn this movie into a money-maker.

I'm trying to think of the last time there was such a disconnect between the movie going public and the critics on a movie like this. Maybe word of mouth will one day accomplish what $100 million of Disney marketing dollars couldn't and turn this movie into a money-maker.

there wasn't a disconnect between the movie going public and the professional critics. the movie scored 51 on rotten tomatoes and 51 on metacritic - poor numbers. the movie going public stayed away in droves. the audience has practically disappeared in its third weekend. the disconnect seems to be between the general audience & critics versus the reviewers on these boards.

there wasn't a disconnect between the movie going public and the professional critics. the movie scored 51 on rotten tomatoes and 51 on metacritic - poor numbers. the movie going public stayed away in droves. the audience has practically disappeared in its third weekend. the disconnect seems to be between the general audience & critics versus the reviewers on these boards.

exactly

On RottenTomates the professional critics gave it 51% and the regular users gave it 70%

On Metacritic the professional critics gave it 51% and the regular users gave it 73%

That is a large and consistent disconnect between the professional critics and the movie going public. I would say the reviews on this board have probably been about 80% positive---a little higher than (but still consistent with) the general public, which is probably to be be expected on a comic book forum.