• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

My wife and I just got back from John Carter. Neither one of us ever read the books or was familiar with any of the characters; but we both enjoy super-hero movies. We both loved this movie. Solid from beginning to end with no lame ending that seems to almost ruin otherwise great movies. I will definitely add this one to my blu-ray collection when it comes out!

I'm trying to think of the last time there was such a disconnect between the movie going public and the critics on a movie like this. Maybe word of mouth will one day accomplish what $100 million of Disney marketing dollars couldn't and turn this movie into a money-maker.

there wasn't a disconnect between the movie going public and the professional critics. the movie scored 51 on rotten tomatoes and 51 on metacritic - poor numbers. the movie going public stayed away in droves. the audience has practically disappeared in its third weekend. the disconnect seems to be between the general audience & critics versus the reviewers on these boards.

On RottenTomates the professional critics gave it 51% and the regular users gave it 70%

On Metacritic the professional critics gave it 51% and the regular users gave it 73%

That is a large and consistent disconnect between the professional critics and the movie going public. I would say the reviews on this board have probably been about 80% positive---a little higher than (but still consistent with) the general public, which is probably to be be expected on a comic book forum.

and a ten second perusal shows that the audience # on RT means next to nothing: Lorax 57 RT, 72 audience, Act of Valor 26 RT, 73 audience, Project X 25 RT, 73 audience.

My wife and I just got back from John Carter. Neither one of us ever read the books or was familiar with any of the characters; but we both enjoy super-hero movies. We both loved this movie. Solid from beginning to end with no lame ending that seems to almost ruin otherwise great movies. I will definitely add this one to my blu-ray collection when it comes out!

I'm trying to think of the last time there was such a disconnect between the movie going public and the critics on a movie like this. Maybe word of mouth will one day accomplish what $100 million of Disney marketing dollars couldn't and turn this movie into a money-maker.

there wasn't a disconnect between the movie going public and the professional critics. the movie scored 51 on rotten tomatoes and 51 on metacritic - poor numbers. the movie going public stayed away in droves. the audience has practically disappeared in its third weekend. the disconnect seems to be between the general audience & critics versus the reviewers on these boards.

On RottenTomates the professional critics gave it 51% and the regular users gave it 70%

On Metacritic the professional critics gave it 51% and the regular users gave it 73%

That is a large and consistent disconnect between the professional critics and the movie going public. I would say the reviews on this board have probably been about 80% positive---a little higher than (but still consistent with) the general public, which is probably to be be expected on a comic book forum.

and a ten second perusal shows that the audience # on RT means next to nothing: Lorax 57 RT, 72 audience, Act of Valor 26 RT, 73 audience, Project X 25 RT, 73 audience.

What does that have to do with anything? Jive pointed that there was a disconnect between the professional critics and the general movie going public. You denied that this was the case, citing RT and MC as your source, but those two sites actually show that you are wrong and Jive was right. Apparently there is a disconnect between the professional critics and the general public on a number of movies in addition to JC. That's great, but it doesn't change the fact that your were incorrect in stating that there was no disconnect between the critics and the general public on JC.

Fascinating: first cite a source to support a claim; then impeach that same source to support an opposing claim. All by the same poster.

hm

Critics often dislike movies that general audiences like, and vice-versa. This doesn't mean the critics are wrong, since the role of critics is not to mirror or predict what average moviegoers will enjoy. The role of critics is to provide an interesting and well-informed point of view that readers can accept or reject at will.

I have read enough reviews of "John Carter" to know that I can wait to see it on DVD. The last movie I went out of my way to see on the big screen was "Mission Impossible 4" and that was worth the trouble. The next movie I see on the big screen might just be "The Raid" based on what I've heard so far.

What does that have to do with anything? Jive pointed that there was a disconnect between the professional critics and the general movie going public. You denied that this was the case, citing RT and MC as your source, but those two sites actually show that you are wrong and Jive was right. Apparently there is a disconnect between the professional critics and the general public on a number of movies in addition to JC. That's great, but it doesn't change the fact that your were incorrect in stating that there was no disconnect between the critics and the general public on JC.

While you guys were "discussing" about critics vs the general public.

John Carter was destroyed by The Hunger Games :ohnoez:

BoxOfficeMojo

I went and saw Hunger Games this afternoon with my twelve year old son. That's all the kids at school are talking about. It is the official big thing at school. My son, who isn't easily swayed just HAD to see it.

We are getting old.

(and my review of it was that it was better than I expected it to be, but not as good as JC by a country mile).

The girl who plays Katniss is classically beautiful.

I saw Hunger Games this morning and I enjoyed it. It's a very different kind of movie than JC with a different target audience so it's hard to compare the two. My wife who is a high school library and always up the hottest YA literature has been trying to get me to read it for some. So I finally started the book today after seeing the film and I have to admit it's pretty good. Now I wonder if I can get my wife to read A Princess of Mars. hm

I saw Hunger Games this morning and I enjoyed it. It's a very different kind of movie than JC with a different target audience so it's hard to compare the two. My wife who is a high school library and always up the hottest YA literature has been trying to get me to read it for some. So I finally started the book today after seeing the film and I have to admit it's pretty good. Now I wonder if I can get my wife to read A Princess of Mars. hm

I guess my point was that it didn't have to be a different target audience.

In fact, my entire family saw JC, from my late 60's parents to my ten year old.

I only took my 12 year old to see HG.

JC is better geared to have more eyeballs on it, and yet, you and I both know they won't be.

I just watched this fan-made trailer for the second time, and now I want to see the movie all over again.

If you haven't seen it, take a look - or take a look again if you have.

Too bad Disney didn't take this approach.

don't get all twisted out of shape because the audience that purportedly loved this movie didn't bother to pay to see it in numbers. while the hunger games will soon be forgotten after the release of the next twilight movie, JC will be mentioned alongside ishtar and waterworld for the next 25 years.

It also doesn't help that John Carter only played twice a day here. Compared to the Hunger Games being on multiple screens.

Disney really screwed the pooch by not having John Carter on more screens, and played more than twice a day.

don't get all twisted out of shape because the audience that purportedly loved this movie didn't bother to pay to see it in numbers. while the hunger games will soon be forgotten after the release of the next twilight movie, JC will be mentioned alongside ishtar and waterworld for the next 25 years.

The girl who plays Katniss is classically beautiful.

That's Jennifer Lawrence. She also plays Mystique/Raven in "X-Men First Class."

I remembered her from Winter's Bone, but didn't recognize her from FC.

Man, she is old school curvy. Keep finding her work, Hollywood.

I can't be the only guy watching that film who benefited from her up close bow string to lips shots, can I?

Can some marketing genius give us a movie featuring Katniss Everdeen and Dejah Thoris hanging out, shopping, spending time together, & becoming best friends, please?

My family belongs to the Disney Movie Rewards Club, as when you purchase any of their DVDs you receive points towards other purchases. Sometimes it can be a good deal, but not usually.

Talk about missing the mark again when it comes to Marketing. I logged in today and saw a special notice for points i you go and see John Carter.

John Carter Only In Theaters March 9. Save your ticket stubs and get up to 200 points* when you see John Carter in theaters!!

A total of up to 4 ticket stubs per Disney movie Rewards member accont for 50 points each. Offer good 3/9/12 thfough 6/30/12.

50 points: = Cheap Disney sticker or two

1,000 points: $10 Starbucks gift card (to give you an idea of point value)

Even this doesn't motivate people to rush out because Disney put some incredible incentive out there to encourage going.

I just watched this fan-made trailer for the second time, and now I want to see the movie all over again.

Thanks for reposting this... (thumbs u

I didn't bother to watch it the last time through and that was a big mistake. I REALLY liked the approach of setting the stage for the viewer with a bit if literary history and pointing out (subtly, of course) much of what we know today that has been taken from this source).

Great job... :acclaim:

Here's a "What if?".... What if Disney put out a trailer like this next week to try to reintroduce John Carter to audiences with this new better type of trailer. Could something like this work?