• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

Redbox was advertising today that John Carter will be available in two weeks.

:whee:

What did it say?

"Coming in Two Weeks....John Carter! Ignore it for a second time..."

I saw it on Blu-ray already (720p download) and found that the reviews were way too harsh. I liked it and my daughter found it interesting. My wife and 5-year old want to see it now that we just got back from Disney where they had ads up in Hollywood Studios theme park. I hope there is a sequel.

I saw it on Blu-ray already (720p download) and found that the reviews were way too harsh. I liked it and my daughter found it interesting. My wife and 5-year old want to see it now that we just got back from Disney where they had ads up in Hollywood Studios theme park. I hope there is a sequel.

Funny, but of all the people I've spoken to about this film, the ratio of "Much better then I thought it would be" to "Should've listened to the Reviews" is running about 4-to-1. Maybe it was a function of lowered expectations, or maybe the movie was actually good.

Funny, but of all the people I've spoken to about this film, the ratio of "Much better then I thought it would be" to "Should've listened to the Reviews" is running about 4-to-1. Maybe it was a function of lowered expectations, or maybe the movie was actually good.

We saw it over the weekend (probably the same torrent that mndb369 downloaded), and whilst it wasn't atrocious by any stretch of the imagination, I wouldn't say it was that good either - it felt rather long, especially the entire middle part of the movie, had some truly ham-fisted acting and several "how did this happen?" plot-holes. It was visually gorgeous for sure, but all in all just a very average movie.

....It continues to pop up in my mind months after I first saw it.....which is unusual for me. It's going to be a movie that I'll watch often when it hits DVD.I totally LOVED the books when I was young.....noththing could ever live up to my expectations.....so I went to see it with that in mind and was very happy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

John Carter DVD night, thanks to Redbox!

:whee:

Looking back I still think it was a terrific movie. On par with almost anything similar put out this year, with the exception of Avengers of course.

I still can't believe it bombed at the box office.

Should have been a top 10 or 20 action movie this year.

Watched it over the weekend on ppv. Fantastic. My only compaint is that they tried too much in one flick. Still, absolute fun.

How would you compare it to Hunger Games?

:whistle:

I went to BestBuy to purchase a BluRay copy only to find they had under-ordered due to the stink of the boxoffice. Not a single BestBuy in SanAntonio had a copy left. Ended up buying a 3D copy at Barnes and Noble.

The movie did well in Europe but bombed in the U.S. I thought Disney's TV commercials essentially told the entire story in 30 seconds. There was no reason for anyone to pay to see it in the theaters.

I also thought they could have promoted it more as "from the creator of Tarzan, Edgar Rice Burroughs".

Cheers!

N.

I saw this last night with my wife for the very first time. What a good movie impacted by some horrible marketing. We loved it!

You would think Disney would at least correct their marketing error by changing the DVD title to something like "John Carter: Warlord of Mars" or "John Carter of Mars" versus the same bland title. Even "John Carter: Savior of Mars" would have been nice.

Anyone catch "The Newsroom" this week?

I was surprised at the John Carter reference.

I looked for a YouTube clip, but none so far.

PS - Olivia Munn is super sexy. :grin:

Olivia-Munn-as-Sloan-Sabbith-on-The-Newsroom-Season-One-Finale-The-Greater-Fool-940x520.png

The Newsroom: Business reporter Sloan Sabbith mentions to Will that she's thinking of doing a story on Disney's colossal 2012 box-office flop John Carter.

"It's projected to lose about $200 million for Disney," she says to Will. "Say what you want, but they're one of the few American industries still making a product people want to buy. Nobody's gonna ask for a bailout, and Disney's stock is relatively safe. Entertainment is one of our highest revenue-generating exports, and they employ members of 17 different unions, all of which have excellent minimum basic contracts. They may take it in the teeth on John Carter, but no one's going to get hurt."

LINK

"John Carter"

Okay, this only took up a small portion of the show, but undoubtedly this likely got a lot of people talking. Yes, Aaron Sorkin took some time on "The Newsroom" to talk about last year's Disney bomb, "John Carter." And his take on the whole matter (as told via Sloan)? Everyone should just chill because the entertainment industry is like, the greatest, because it employs people from seventeen different unions, is a massive export and provides a product that people want to buy. Also, it's not like Disney is asking for a bailout and their stock is still a smart buy.

It's rather fascinating that Sorkin entirely misses any other narrative around the Disney flop: the awful marketing campaign, trying to franchise something that doesn't necessarily have an audience for it (as also seen this summer with Disney's other flop, "The Lone Ranger") and how about that simple fact while Disney stock still may be something good to own, it does nothing for shareholders when executives invest hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars into a project that they have to write off? Or how about discussing Hollywood's blockbuster chase in general, which is essentially the kind of big money, high risk gambling that if banks were doing it, people would rightfully be freaking out? All it will take is for one studio to make a string of bombs, and suddenly, everyone is those seventeen unions will be getting less work. (Something that folks like Steven Soderbergh, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have already been warning about).

There is a nuanced, intelligent discussion to be had around "John Carter" and the industry in general, but Sorkin's reflexive, defensive take is almost hilariously off base.

LINK