• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Carter of Mars Thread

883 posts in this topic

Man, Jonah Hex bombed!!!

I think it was the trailer that showed the guy move the horse blanket to reveal 2 saddle mounted gattling guns!

yeah what an awesome Idea... doh!

Kept everyone away I suspect.

Hex was on one of the HBO channels yesterday afternoon. I stopped to watch it for a few minutes. It looked pretty stupid.

He didn't have the gattling guns yet, but he had just picked up some sort of mini crossbow that fired sticks of dynamite. lol Megan Fox looked pretty good though.

Actually, I think American Westerns are kinda big overseas.

That would explain why "Cowboys vs. Aliens" was such a big bomb?

Beats me. I just figure

a. America kicks azz

b. westerns are the ultimate in americana

c. the rest of the world worships us, thus

d. the rest of the world loves westerns

Where's the flaw in my logic?

That the ROTW consider Canadians to = American.

:insane:

"Disney expects $200-million loss on 'John Carter'

The Martian adventure film cost about $350 million to make and market but failed to catch on with audiences. Disney had hoped to turn the movie into a franchise."

Can't say I told you so but I :gossip:

I'm hearing this all over the media today, and it's very misleading. The actual report from Disney is that they expect to lose 200M from John Carter in the first quarter of 2012. That doesn't include box office after the end of this month, DVD/Blue-Ray, TV, On-Demand, etc. Most media are going with the flashy "Disney loses 200M" story, and neglecting to elaborate on the reality of the situation.

movie accounting is notoriously iffy but i don't believe this is correct. they are taking the loss in the first quarter based on their estimates of total receipts less the actual costs. you have to match the revenue and expenses in the period in which the gain or loss is recoginzed. there may be an adjustment in the future when all revenues are accounted for but i suspect it won't be a material amount.

The numbers don't work for that to be the case. It's been said repeatedly that John Carter needs to make 400M to break even. Worldwide, it will have exceeded 200M in box office by the end of this weekend. Every dollar made on box office after this weekend, plus Blu-Ray/DVD, TV, On-Demand, etc, cuts into that 200M loss. How could all those factors only add up to an "immaterial amount?"

Not to derail.....but any thoughts on how much Titanic will bring in when they play it in 3-D and IMAX 3-D? Do stunts like that generate any large sums?

(Lucas must see something lucrative with all of his fluffed up rereleases on DVD and in theatres?)

If the Titanic 3D re-release does better than John Carter,then the general public has no taste in movies :P

It will do better. The buzz is huge for Titanic 3-D. Bigger than the last Star Wars 3-d movie that came out. Like I said before never underestimate mainstream when it comes to making money. lol

Speedy D answered your question succintly.

The director is a Pixar hero. I think this is his first Disney venture outside of Pixar. His Pixar work has done so well that he was given extraordinary leeway and control over John Carter, including marketing and trailers.

In Hollywood, if you can become so successful that everything you touch mints money, so they give you extraordinary freedom to do your pet projects. The studio makes you happy, so you stay and dont take the project elsewhere where it might make the OTHER studio a bucket of money.

This is as it has always been, and every now and then it bites them in the tukas.. sometimes a BIG bite as we see here now. But they will take the same gamble again. And there will be some who gloat at "the genius's" faliure, as here, is all Im saying.

Man, Jonah Hex bombed!!!

I think it was the trailer that showed the guy move the horse blanket to reveal 2 saddle mounted gattling guns!

yeah what an awesome Idea... doh!

Kept everyone away I suspect.

That was pretty dumb. Jonah Hex could have been a good movie; some of the shots were pretty nice. But overall, it felt like a movie I've already seen before, better.

Its been mentioned here before, but one of the strangest things to me is the lack of merchandising. Action Figures, Mcdonalds toys etc. This stuff allways comes to Market around Disney Fliks, at least as far as I can remember. My kids are grown now so its been a few years since I bought a Happy Meal.

Can anyone think of another Disney or Pixar movie that was released, so completely lacking in Merchandising?

I think the lack of toys is very telling. Disney pretty much merchandises everything, even their TV movies.

Its been mentioned here before, but one of the strangest things to me is the lack of merchandising. Action Figures, Mcdonalds toys etc. This stuff allways comes to Market around Disney Fliks, at least as far as I can remember. My kids are grown now so its been a few years since I bought a Happy Meal.

Can anyone think of another Disney or Pixar movie that was released, so completely lacking in Merchandising?

I think the lack of toys is very telling. Disney pretty much merchandises everything, even their TV movies.

I agree.

I agree.

It's the smoking gun that shows that Disney never intended for this movie to succeed. Since it takes a long time to develop merchandise, that calculation must have been made some time ago.

I agree.

It's the smoking gun that shows that Disney never intended for this movie to succeed. Since it takes a long time to develop merchandise, that calculation must have been made some time ago.

Where exactly did they spend this $100 million? I've seen maybe a dozen trailers for the movie in the past few months, and seen no other cross-promotion for it on any other network or channel. For two weeks last summer, I couldn't turn on ESPN or Sportcenter specifically without seeing a spot promoting Real Steel. Doesn't Disney/ABC own ESPN and couldn't they have done the same for John Carter?

$100 million? Not even close. No way. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but the more Disney professes they did all they could for this movie, the less I believe it since the evidence just doesn't add up.

I agree.

Where exactly did they spend this $100 million? I've seen maybe a dozen trailers for the movie in the past few months, and seen no other cross-promotion for it on any other network or channel. For two weeks last summer, I couldn't turn on ESPN or Sportcenter specifically without seeing a spot promoting Real Steel. Doesn't Disney/ABC own ESPN and couldn't they have done the same for John Carter?

$100 million? Not even close. No way. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but the more Disney professes they did all they could for this movie, the less I believe it since the evidence just doesn't add up.

Disney Needs New Film Plan After Taking $200 Million Loss on ‘John Carter’

The company announced on Monday that it expects to report a loss of $200 million on the movie at the end of this quarter. Carter’s estimated production budget was around $250 million, and that’s in addition to the roughly $100 million Disney spent marketing the film. Since opening at the beginning of the month, the movie has brought in just $184 million in ticket sales, but since ticket sales are split almost evenly with theater owners, that means Disney has yet another flop on its hands.

I agree.

The company announced on Monday that it expects to report a loss of $200 million on the movie at the end of this quarter. Carter’s estimated production budget was around $250 million, and that’s in addition to the roughly $100 million Disney spent marketing the film. Since opening at the beginning of the month, the movie has brought in just $184 million in ticket sales, but since ticket sales are split almost evenly with theater owners, that means Disney has yet another flop on its hands.

Yeah, I know what they reported...I just don't see the anecdotal evidence. With $100 million spent on marketing, you would expect a major toyline, fast-food promotions, video games, plush Thark babies for sale at Disney stores for $19.99 a piece, and so many commercials on TV that everyone would be sick of them by now.

Unless a lot of that budget was used to market overseas, I just don't see it.

I agree.

Yeah, I know what they reported...I just don't see the anecdotal evidence. With $100 million spent on marketing, you would expect a major toyline, fast-food promotions, video games, plush Thark babies for sale at Disney stores for $19.99 a piece, and so many commercials on TV that everyone would be sick of them by now.

Unless a lot of that budget was used to market overseas, I just don't see it.

Oh, I thought you meant the amount. I've been looking for a breakdown but haven't found it. It doesn't make sense to me either. As someone here stated before, they'd have had better results with a dozen fan-boys blogging up the internet. I wonder if a large chunk of that budget went to an outside advertising firm, or whether it was all attempted in-house? I'm not typically a conspiracy theorist, but a lot of the web discussions make a believable case for company politics being the most likely culprit for the whole fiasco.

I have no answer for merchandise..........but as far as promoting it, I felt it was a carp load.

We have a 3 1/2 year old and an 11 month old, so we have the Disney Channel on A LOT. I don't know about other networks Disney owns, but my Wife and I were convinced they advertised it way more than even last Pirates of the Caribbean on the Disney channels!! It was fricken annoying. Similiar to Real Steel on SC!!

I have no answer for merchandise..........but as far as promoting it, I felt it was a carp load.

We have a 3 1/2 year old and an 11 month old, so we have the Disney Channel on A LOT. I don't know about other networks Disney owns, but my Wife and I were convinced they advertised it way more than even last Pirates of the Caribbean on the Disney channels!! It was fricken annoying. Similiar to Real Steel on SC!!

It can't cost that much to have commercials on their own channels. Maybe that is how they came up with the $100 million number. They overcharged themselves for the airtime on their own channels.

The 100 million is for prints and advertising. An when you open on 3000+ screens and around the world, 100 million creeps up pretty fast. If its fudged it's by 10-20% as with all GLs.

No conspiracy to see here.