• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thor appreciation thread
10 10

748 posts in this topic

Talk about a double sized beaut! After taking a month off (along with the Avengers) Thor 193 (along with Avengers 93) open up Marvels attempt to double the page numbers but go bi-monthly (correct me if I am wrong peeps) they then give us this blue-wrapped beauty featuring none other than the possesor of the Power Cosmic, The Silver Surfer. Add to it being a Picture Frame Marvel, and it is clear why this is such a popular issue.

Thor193.jpg

No missing of months and not to go bi-monthly, but rather to allow all the 'cover' months to synchronize.

Thor and the Avengers did not miss a month but skipped a 'cover' month to match the other books that published the same 'calendar' month.

For example, Thor #192 (Sept) and Spider-Man #101 (October) both came out in July of 1971.

Thor #193 (now, November) and Spider-Man #102 (November) both came out in August of 1971.

Dennis

Beautiful JIM 103 with great cover colors! Is that from the recent Heritage auction of the Janowicz collection?

Here are two of my favorite later issue covers. The plots were consistent nail-biters during this time of multi-ish stories.

Thor150-1.jpg

Thor153.jpg

Beautiful JIM 103 with great cover colors! Is that from the recent Heritage auction of the Janowicz collection?

Here are two of my favorite later issue covers. The plots were consistent nail-biters during this time of multi-ish stories.

Thor150-1.jpg

Thor153.jpg

Im assuming that neither are availablefor aquisition popcorn.gif

Im assuming that neither are availablefor aquisition popcorn.gif

Not now, Arex. However, as I get closer to retirement age, the time nears when I'll be parting with my remaining slabs, as I have done already with my ASM run...(while planning to hold onto my oo Bronze collection tenaciously).

Love that #103 thumbsup2.gif You rarely see that book in anything like HG. To echo Bob's question, from Heritage?

Yes. It's from the Heritage auction. I thought that I had also won the #98 and 106, but got beat out on the floor auction. I'm collecting mostly Golden Age books now, but I have a soft spot for Thor. Love the cover of that 153. And, you're right, Bob. There was some great stories during this time period.

— Rick

Love that #103 thumbsup2.gif You rarely see that book in anything like HG. To echo Bob's question, from Heritage?

Yes. It's from the Heritage auction. I thought that I had also won the #98 and 106, but got beat out on the floor auction. I'm collecting mostly Golden Age books now, but I have a soft spot for Thor. Love the cover of that 153. And, you're right, Bob. There was some great stories during this time period.

— Rick

Thanks for clearing that up Rick thumbsup2.gif Be happy you won that great book from Heritage: I thought I won 3 books only to lose them all to the floor boo.giftonofbricks.gifsorry.gif893censored-thumb.gif

— Rick

Thanks for clearing that up Rick thumbsup2.gif Be happy you won that great book from Heritage: I thought I won 3 books only to lose them all to the floor boo.giftonofbricks.gifsorry.gif893censored-thumb.gif

I was lucky enough to win one book from the Janowicz collection, an FF29. The colors and whiteness are spectacular, and I wish now I had bid more aggressively on others. Congrats again to Rick on a gorgeous JIM 103.

— Rick

I was lucky enough to win one book from the Janowicz collection, an FF29. The colors and whiteness are spectacular, and I wish now I had bid more aggressively on others. Congrats again to Rick on a gorgeous JIM 103.

What's the story with the Janowicz collection ? Original owner collection or picky collector ? I was bidding on a book from that collection on Heritage yesterday and it went for a crazy price frustrated.gif