• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie "Comic Book Villians". So who sits at the table?

59 posts in this topic

What is the movie with Mark Hamill that is supposed to come out regarding comics. Anyone know the premise or plot?

IMDB entry

As I recall, this is a mockumentary (think "Spinal Tap") set at the San Diego Comicon.

This sounds like it may be some kind of inside joke that the producers threw in there to get the really hardcore fans (like most of us here) wondering. It may just be a fictional account or is there really an elite cadre of dealers that meet clandestinely to assure the future of the comic book industry? gossip.gif893frustrated.gif

I thought that's what the CGC Forum dinners after wach big show was all about? tongue.gif

What is the movie with Mark Hamill that is supposed to come out regarding comics. Anyone know the premise or plot?

IMDB entry

As I recall, this is a mockumentary (think "Spinal Tap") set at the San Diego Comicon.

Let's just pray it's better than "Comic Book Villains." Perhaps the saddest things about Comic Book Villains:

1) it paints dealers/collectors in a horrible light: conniving, avaricious, juvenile...I didn't say it was inaccurate, btw... smile.gif

2) it won't motivate *anyone* to go out and collect back issues.

3) it may well discourage others considering similar subjects for films (Mark Hamill's forthcoming opus notwithstanding)

In some ways, Comic Book Villains is to the comic book back issue community what "The Ninth Gate" was to bibliophiles... except anyone watching the latter (horrible) film will know it's entirely fictitious.

I'm with Pov on this one... I saw the film the day it came to my local video store, and was fairly disappointed.

I'm with Pov too...the movie just stank!

And I'll second your recommendation on Dogtown & Z-Boys - a verrry cool documentary, narrated by Jeff Spicoli himself. "That's my skull! I'm sooo wasted!"

Gene

And I'll second your recommendation on Dogtown & Z-Boys - a verrry cool documentary, narrated by Jeff Spicoli himself. "That's my skull! I'm sooo wasted!"

Gene

Hehe - Sean Penn simply doesn't do bad movies anymore... his "Sweet and Lowdown" is another modern classic... Penn plays the 2nd greatest jazz guitarist in the world, after Django Rheinhardt...

There seems to be a big poker game with the "playas" at every major convention. But the "playas" involved in the game I know of tend to be industry big-wigs in general, not just guys who have found pedigree collections.

Kev

I thought it was a good movie. Not the best, but good. Could of been better. The table were the special group is gathered together doesn't really eist. More of a referance to the tables were celebrities sign autographs. The guy in the movie just wanted to be famous for having found a pedigree collection of quite a few rare books and he wanted to be among those special people.

I love the line the one guy tells his no comic knowledged wife as he hands her the OVERSTREET PRICE GUIDE(FF cover ED #31); "Here honey, bed time reading material!"

I bought the DVD of this movie just for the fun of it and did a little checking-out of it. Did you know most of those comics shown are just cover copies put over other comics. To bad they don't have a behind the scenes on the DVD. I would of liked to have seen how they got those cover copies. I know BATMAN #18 is one of the copies on the DVD cover. There's a bunch more shown that I just can't remember right now. Throughout the film you get glimpes of the comics, I wish they would of shown them a little longer. Sometimes its hard to tell what comic you just saw in the film. Another reason why I like DVD's. Pausing.

If you think the guy that made this movie doesn't know anything about comics your obviously wrong. JAMES ROBINSON also was involved in DC's STARMAN comics during the 90's. He also made BLADE and thats how he met the one actor Donal Lough who plays RAYMOND in this film.

Those that haven't seen this flick and are into comics, check it out. Its worth at least one viewing.

James Robinson's Starman was very much about the joys of collecting (and selling).

When I originally brought up this film in a thread AGES ago, I thought it was ok, and I stand by that even though I haven't watched it since.

It was billed as a black comedy, not a documentary, so I would not expect it to be an accurate reflection of real life as some of you seem let down by the fact that it was in fact, a black comedy and not a documentary.

As a black comedy it truly reeks and the acting is very forced and the situations ludicrous (not funny ludicrous though).... but as a twisted look into the darker side of the collecting and acquiring bug that we all have, and for the little references that pepper the film (most of which seem to be correct) it was worth at least one sit-thru.

Kev

Sure. Can you teach me how to play poker? I learned once but I've forgotten most of the various types of poker games.

Kev

Basic poker sure!!!!

I'm sure otehrs could teach us variations

Gene

Hehe - Sean Penn simply doesn't do bad movies anymore... his "Sweet and Lowdown" is another modern classic... Penn plays the 2nd greatest jazz guitarist in the world, after Django Rheinhardt...

RIGHT ON!!! "Sweet and Lowdown" was an AMAZING movie!! Oh man, I need to go pop that soundtrack in... wink.gif

Gene

RIGHT ON!!! "Sweet and Lowdown" was an AMAZING movie!! Oh man, I need to go pop that soundtrack in... wink.gif

If you guys like that stuff you should check out Oscar Aleman. I'll put him up with Reinhardt any day.

If you guys like that stuff you should check out Oscar Aleman. I'll put him up with Reinhardt any day.

...Bear in mind that Django Rheinhardt had the fingers on his playing hand broken by the Nazis, which certainly hampered his virtuosity to a degree afterward...

Don't dis Django... sumo.gif

Did you know most of those comics shown are just cover copies put over other comics. To bad they don't have a behind the scenes on the DVD. I would of liked to have seen how they got those cover copies.

This seemed pretty obvious to me from the outset... first, no one who owns comics of that ilk would let anyone simply stack them up and "litter" a room - even a movie set room - with them, not for love or money. Second, the colors are a little too bright, and the covers a little too glossy, even for a pedigreed collection. Many of the books from the era in question didn't have much, if any, "gloss" as we know it today. Third, there are scenes later in the film where it becomes obvious these aren't originals (don't wanna give anything away)...

If you think the guy that made this movie doesn't know anything about comics your obviously wrong. JAMES ROBINSON also was involved in DC's STARMAN comics during the 90's. He also made BLADE and thats how he met the one actor Donal Lough who plays RAYMOND in this film.

Did anyone actually imply the maker(s) of the film were clueless? I thought it was clear that someone who cares about comic books was involved on some level - the screenwriter, perhaps, or the producer? But it's equally clear to me that somewhere along the line, things spun out of control and the end result is a mish-mash of clever inside jokes, fun anecdotes, wacky chase scenes and a bit too much sight comedy - as though a -script doctor was brought in to 'fix' things and instead headed off in yet another direction...

Sure. Can you teach me how to play poker? I learned once but I've forgotten most of the various types of poker games.

Kev

Basic poker sure!!!!

I'm sure otehrs could teach us variations

We'll play Hold 'em and Omaha......

We'll use graded comics, rather than $$$

This will be my 1st comic con since Dale Kweon intoduced us all to PITT..... 893whatthe.gif.

It's been a long time. smirk.gif