• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 30 Marvel Super Keys ?

50 posts in this topic

I put together a list last night of the 30 most valuable Marvel comics (according to Overstreet). I was planning on making it just 25 but Avengers #4 doesn't make that list, and I don't think the list would be accurate without that book on any list. Anyways I was wondering what your feeling on what books are overrated or overpriced (not by a sheer monetary perspective but by comparasin to the other books in the list)?

31 Marvel Superkeys

1) AF#15 $43,000

2) FF#1 $36,000

3) ASM#1 $33,500

4) Hulk#1 $26,000

5) X-Men#1 $15,000

6) J.I.M.#83 $11,000

7) T.O.S.#39 $ 9,500

8) FF#5 $ 7,800

9) FF#2 $ 7,700

10) T.O.A.#27 $ 7,500

11) ASM#2 $ 7,300

12) Avengers#1 $ 6,000

13) FF#4 $ 5,800

14) ASM#3 $ 5,300

15) FF#3 $ 5,300

16) Hulk#2 $ 5,200

17) Daredevil#1 $ 5,200

18) FF#12 $ 4,250

19) ASM#4 $ 4,200

20) Hulk#6 $ 3,600

21) ASM#14 $ 3,500

22) ASM#5 $ 3,500

23) ASM#6 $ 3,200

24) T.T.A.#35 $ 3,200

25) X-Men#2 $ 3,100

26) J.I.M.#84 $ 3,000

27) Hulk#3 $ 3,000

28) T.O.S.#40 $ 2,950

29) Hulk#4 $ 2,800

30) Hulk#5 $ 2,800

31) Avengers#4 $ 2,700

The first thing that jumps out at me is that all the books are pre 1965 before I guess hoarding really started. I think that Avengers #4 is too low on the list, as it is really a key book. The 1st appearance of Cap has to have more of a want list than Hulk #4 and #5, even though in much more plentiful supply. I would just assume it would surpass those 2 books on demand alone. I also think that FF#12 is an overflated book when in comparasin to a FF#6 which doesn't even make the list. The second appearances of Sub-Mariner and Dr. Doom, and the 1st super-villian team up ever in the Marvel Universe in my mind surpasses a Thing vs. Hulk match up. Hulk #3 through #6 appear on the list on scarcity alone, but I wouldn't think that these are super high on a want list of a non-Hulk collector due to the fact there are no major villian appearances or key plotlines. I'd love to here your thoughts or opinions.

Jim

I'm not surprised by the list, but I question how some of those Hulks are valued higher than some other fairly respectable keys. I, for one, find Daredevil 1 to be of greater importance than an issue of Hulk other than 1.

I would've thought X-Men 1 was higher than Hulk 1. I understand why it's not after thinking about it, but if you asked me to guess prior to seeing the list, I'd have assumed X-Men 1 is valued higher. Even given hoarding, print runs, etc. it just seems like the X-Men are SO much more popular and have been for SO long that...

Sorry for picking on Hulk. I love that green-skinned m0m0, but I don't think he's as respected a character as some others.

I have 17... although none are at risk of being anywhere close to high census. blush.gif

I sure would like a presentable AF 15 or ASM 1, but I'm afraid those ships have sailed.

Thankfully, I picked up my Hulk run in the early 90s.

the issue with x-men vs hulk is a simple supply and demand one

the demand may be higher for x-men but the supply is much more plentiful of high grade x-men 1s (8.5 and above) than Hulks. I'd personally rank Hulk #1 above ASM #1

Which ones if you don't mind my asking? I'm jealous. I have none yet.

crazy.gif

all of the Amazings, X-Men 1, Journey 83, Avengers 1 and 4.

I'm kind of surprised Daredevil isn't rated higher. Or Dr. Strange. Seems to me the first appearance of all of the Major Marvel Characters should rate higher than 2nd, 3rd appearances, or apearances of minor villains.

I am surprised FF #48 is not on the list.

Bear in mind that this is a most valuable list. Due to high supply, you can get an FF 48 in VF for around $500 - $600. (Unless I am completely out of touch. tongue.gif)

You can't touch any book on the list in VF for close to $600.

That said, Daredevil 1 and ST 110 should be in there somewhere.

I am surprised FF #48 is not on the list.

Bear in mind that this is a most valuable list. Due to high supply, you can get an FF 48 in VF for around $500 - $600. (Unless I am completely out of touch. tongue.gif)

You can't touch any book on the list in VF for close to $600.

Huh. I always see FF #48 on eBay for quite a bit of money. But I reckon eBay is not the best indicator of price.

I'm not surprised by the list, but I question how some of those Hulks are valued higher than some other fairly respectable keys. I, for one, find Daredevil 1 to be of greater importance than an issue of Hulk other than 1.

I would've thought X-Men 1 was higher than Hulk 1. I understand why it's not after thinking about it, but if you asked me to guess prior to seeing the list, I'd have assumed X-Men 1 is valued higher. Even given hoarding, print runs, etc. it just seems like the X-Men are SO much more popular and have been for SO long that...

Sorry for picking on Hulk. I love that green-skinned m0m0, but I don't think he's as respected a character as some others.

Hulk prices reflect scarcity, I believe. Remember, Marvel cancelled the title after only 6 issues due to low sales. His real popularity didn't hit until the 1970s.

the list is also skewed as its based solely on Overstreet Guide prices. Some are way behind market and others are only a grade behind (meaning 9.0s sell for his 9.2 price. If someone were to assemble a parallel GPA list, it would interesting to compare side by side. One would hope that Gemstone would have prepared that exact lis,t by the way, right?....