• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Mystery Comics #1

14 posts in this topic

I need a little help on grading a very nice GA comic.

Super-Mystery Comics #1 from 1940.

I rarely get my hands on a comic of this value...and of course condition is all

important to determining the value. So take a look and let me know what you think!!

Stuff you may or may not see in the scans include "A" penciled on cover, very light chipping to top right corner(front cover only), tiny corner fold to lower right corner...and I don't know what the discoloration on the top left corner of the back cover is???? No warping or difference in texture to the book...it may just be an odd sun/dust shadow. And a tiny bit of yellow(maybe from another book) is sticking to the back cover.

smc1.jpg

smc1b.jpg

On the front cover.. is that a stain in the upper left corner or amatuer colour touch??

Very good eye.

yes there has been some color touch to the top leftt corner and magno's leg area.

that's the only way I could afford to get this issue.

I intentionally left that out earlier as I wanted to get unbiased opinions from my fellow forumites before assigning the apparant grade. Some folks hate resto so much that I felt that they wouldn't even look at it for grading purposes or would derail the thread with endless anti-resto comments.

So what do you think about the book????

On the front cover.. is that a stain in the upper left corner or amatuer colour touch??

Very good eye.

yes there has been some color touch to the top leftt corner and magno's leg area.

that's the only way I could afford to get this issue.

I intentionally left that out earlier as I wanted to get unbiased opinions from my fellow forumites before assigning the apparant grade. Some folks hate resto so much that I felt that they wouldn't even look at it for grading purposes or would derail the thread with endless anti-resto comments.

So what do you think about the book????

I think the top edge is trimmed a little compared to the rest... but I'm just throwing it out there...

I actually think the book would grade a 6.0 (MA) -if it's trimmed, if not I would say (SA) thumbsup2.gif) GA bumped

I was going to say 5.5 at first glance, with the color touches....it presents very nicely. I'll stick with the grade. The stain could bring it lower if CGC got ahold of it, luckily it's restored, and will not be going to CGC.

I'll go along with apparent 5.0, mostly for the back cover. I'm guessing the ULC probably has a bit of paper added in addition to the color touch, as it looks very sharp compared to the other corners, but it wouldn't keep me up at night. What a cool book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll go along with apparent 5.0, mostly for the back cover. I'm guessing the ULC probably has a bit of paper added in addition to the color touch, as it looks very sharp compared to the other corners, but it wouldn't keep me up at night. What a cool book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I agree thumbsup2.gif

Purple 9.0 nice book

Thanks for the nice bump...or did your 6 flip to a 9??? grin.gif

thanks for all the replys.

in hand I call it a F to F+....the stain doesn't look as bad as the scan makes it appears. I would feel comfortable listing this one as a straight app. Fine(6.0).

I thought the front was a 7.0, the back a 5.0--so overall, I'd go with a 6.0, apparent grade. I have absolutely no idea how to factor in restoration. That's just out of my league.