• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four comics...

34 posts in this topic

Of course, from an investment standpoint that is a trade that can probably be very beneficial. But as for enjoyment...it sounds pretty boring to just have four books even if they are all grails. confused-smiley-013.gif

Agreed. Although just 4 books would sure cut down on the clutter. I have so many stacks of books that I've lost track of which is which

* Moderns -- to be read

* Moderns -- read, but need to be bagged, boarded and entered in Comicbase

* Moderns -- Entered, need to be filed in boxes

* Back issues -- to be graded

* Back issues -- to be read

* back issues -- read, to be filed

and on and on....

If I read 5 comics a day for the next 2 years and didn't buy anything new, I **might** work my way through the backlog.

It's really pathetic when I think about it. foreheadslap.gif

Agreed. Although just 4 books would sure cut down on the clutter. I have so many stacks of books that I've lost track of which is which

* Moderns -- to be read

* Moderns -- read, but need to be bagged, boarded and entered in Comicbase

* Moderns -- Entered, need to be filed in boxes

* Back issues -- to be graded

* Back issues -- to be read

* back issues -- read, to be filed

and on and on....

If I read 5 comics a day for the next 2 years and didn't buy anything new, I **might** work my way through the backlog.

It's really pathetic when I think about it. foreheadslap.gif

I know the feeling. I'm in the same boat. I would love to refine my collection. I think that most people are constantly refining their collection down to higher quality, less quantity material. I know I am doing that right now. But four books is too much refinement for me.

When comicdey was down here in FL, we went to Greg White's Comics and man is he backlogged. In definitie need of some refinement 27_laughing.gif He said he is backed up over 5 years. So collections he got 5+ years ago he is just going through now. insane.gif

If I had to compress my collection down to four books, I would just sell them all and quit. For me there would be no point in having only a few comics, or in starting over again. Once I got my money out I wouldn't want to turn around and put it right back into the hobby.

I agree completely.

Too many books that I derive large amounts of enjoyment out of to enjoy the hobby.

If I had to compress my collection down to four books, I would just sell them all and quit. For me there would be no point in having only a few comics, or in starting over again. Once I got my money out I wouldn't want to turn around and put it right back into the hobby.

I agree completely.

Too many books that I derive large amounts of enjoyment out of to enjoy the hobby.

hail.gif

If I had to reduce my present collection to four books, none of this wish-list stuff, I'd keep:

Batman #277 - The first Batman I bought when I started collecting

Great Comics #3 - Futuro Take Hitler to Hell

Fantastic Four #4 - First silver appearance of Submariner and my favorite FF story.

and probably Phantom Lady #15 for the Matt Baker GGA goodness.

In the discussion of Quality vs. Quantity, action1kid's collection of only four comics is the essence of quality over quantity. Action1kid sold his collection of GA keys to buy a nice copy of Action #1. Most of us sell comics off to buy some other comics, but what if you took that to the extreme. What if you compressed your collection down to only four comics, what would they be?

For me, if I sold everything off I think I would buy a copy of All-American #61 (1st Solomon Grundy), Batman #11 (classic Joker cover), Detective #140 (1st Riddler), and an Amazing Fantasy #15 (1st Spider-man). Then, I could concentrate on upgrading those comics and eventually compress that down further to only one comic... Detective #27 cloud9.gif.

So what would your four comics be? popcorn.gif

Need you ask? grin.gifWhiz #2(1)!!!!!

If I was doing this by choice and could rebuild my collection, I'd have to go with the most iconic and significant:

Cap 1

Action 1

Det 27

AF 15

If I only could have 4 books in my collection forever, they would be:

My ratty original copy of Spidey 114

My even rattier original copy of Thor King Size Annual 3 my grandmother bought me.

The copy of Invaders 8 my dad bought me when I was sick and that led me to collect.

Probably some random Harvey or Western my dad brought home from work.

You just can't beat sentimentality.

You just can't beat sentimentality.

That's why I'd probably keep all of my Adventure, Superboy,Superman & Action comics that I bought off the newsstand in 1959-61 ...the memories are tough to discard.

The... best....reading...ever!

Here's my answer:

Patrick The Wolf Boy 1

Fantastic Four 51

Star Wars Tales 1

X-Men 137

I would be satisfied with those four books as my collection. And no, they wouldn't need to be high grade.

I currently own somewhere upwards of 200,000 comics, could be as many as 400,000 (I really haven't done inventory in quite a while). But every one of those books is for sale, and as such they are no more my "collection" than the shares of Hibbett Sporting Goods I own. Even the comics I hoard are for sale. I just hoard them because I feel the market value today is at discount to the future market value. Which frankly is the same reason why I bought Hibbett stock last year at 20. My purchase of TOS 49 is really no different from a purchase of any other undervalued commodity. The comics in my garage, in my closet, behind this desk, in the back of my car, and in the storage units hither and yon... that's all inventory. An investment portfolio of sorts. If that stuff were all gone I would have no more emotional of a reaction to it than if my 401K suddenly went to 0.

Now if I couldn't reach over and reread "Skippy The Jedi Droid"??? Now that would irritate me... Not having instant access to "This Man, This Monster" or the "Death of Phoenix"... Cathartic stories of loyalty and sacrifice culminating in epiphany for the principal characters? I'll eat that greggy with a spoon! thumbsup2.gif

My Hulk 1 could go at any time. Heck, it's got so many added parts it's getting close to sentience. But take away my last copy of "Skippy The Jedi Droid" and you'll see a grown man cry...