• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Amazing Spider-Man Comic to Get?

47 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of building a nice (but affordable) Spider-Man collection, and am torn between a handful of issues to pick from (having recently sold a few non-comic items on eBay and made a tidy profit. I'm just looking for a couple different idea about which issues all of you think would be the best overall additions to a Spider-Man fan's collection? ALL suggestions welcome!

While there's some fantastic stories in the first 20 issues, I have to go with the following three books:

39 & 40 - Green Goblin Story Arc, Fantastic Romita Covers

50 - 1st Kingpin

Truth be told, I could give you 20 more. Check out the ASM thread in the SA forum.

What are thoughts on ASM 121-122? I found a pair of them for sale graded at a conservative F (6.0) and have had them on my list as well. Thoughts?
Great story.

I wouldn't worry about the grade if you are happy with them.

What are thoughts on ASM 121-122? I found a pair of them for sale graded at a conservative F (6.0) and have had them on my list as well. Thoughts?

Required reading!

If you keep your eyes open in the marketplace forum, these will come up for sale every so often. gossip.gif

Best Amazing Spider-Man Comic to Get?

Only looking for one comic? confused.gif

If it's a reader then go for the earlist issue you can afford.

If it's a nicer investment book (CGC 9.0 for example) then try for issue 50, or one of the bronze keys; 100, 121, 122, 129...

I'm assuming you aren't a rich dude and can't afford CGC 9.0s of the early ones.

You go girl!!!

That story arc 31-33 is the best Spidey story bar none.

I note with interest that you have a 9.2 33 Grrrrr.

hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

You are correct Sir!!! And just for anyone wondering how I might know that

with a slabbed copy is that I also have a FN raw copy to read. Great story

that rivals TTA 82 and TOS 79 and 80. Another classic. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

How are things down under??

flowerred.gif.

Fay, it just keeps getting better and better. Some parts of the continent could use a little rain, but not where I am.

But I don't want to derail the thread so my offering as to the second best Spidey story would be........ASM 100. I mean now he's got 6 arms!!!!!

Actually I would suggest reading and finding an arc that you like.

It is hard for me to suggest a comic that you haven't read.

If you go to Barnes and Noble you can find some of the full color

runs of ASM dirt cheap some volumes $5 or less (of a 10 copy run)

This is the best way because throughout the first 100 issues

there are great stories throughout.

One of my personal favs is the 144 -149 stint of the 1st clone saga.

But it is hard for me to recommend that to anyone that doesn't know the

bond that Peter and Gwen shared and how much strife her death (121-122)

was to his life.

One of the things that I thought was so ingenious of this series is that a huge focus

of the comic is not only the man in the suit, it is growing up with the teenager named

Peter Parker and all of his trials and tribulations.

What I would recommend reading is:

AF15

ASM 1-20, 31-33, 39-40, 50-52, 88-90, 96-98, 121-122, 129, 134-137 144-149, 229-230 238-239

for starters...

thumbsup2.gif

I'm assuming you aren't a rich dude and can't afford CGC 9.0s of the early ones.

Perish the thought, of course we're all rich. Just depends on your definition

of rich. Kinda like cheesecake, some of us are made "out of a box", and

others are made "with all natural ingredients". makepoint.gif

Well assumptions on being "rich" aren't far off- teaching part-time and begin working on my Ph.D. in a year. But down the road.... who knows, right?

I'm actually pretty familiar with most of the major story arcs having read them via reprints or kind friends who would let me (carefully) read through their original copies when we were kids. Now, I'm at the point where I'm working on getting my hands on some of these issues. As a teen, I was a BIG fan of McFarlane's work on Spidey, so that was the first thing I did- pick up every issue of ASM and Spider-Man he did work on. Then came the "black suit"/Venom issues, which I've gotten every key issue of. The past few months, I've been turning my eyes on SA and BA issues of our favorite web-slinger.

Thanks to ebay, I was able to sell some old computer periphials and have an extra $200 or so. I wanted to try to pick up a real gem for my collection as opposed to a LOT of filler issues, but am torn. Obviously some of the stand out SA Spider-Man issues would be great to add, but as many have mentioned, there are some really moving BA stories as well- hence my imploring those you out there for your 2 cents smile.gif And I have to agree with being torn over the loss of Gwen Stacy- which is why ASM 121-22 is factoring in as high in my interests.

All the advice and suggestions are definitely appreciated. Anyone else have some ideas?

How far your $200 will stretch is dependent on how grade sensitive you are. You should be able to pick up a couple of nice (but not 9.2) copies of 121 and 122 for much less than your budgeted amount.

If it were me, I'd go for a SA key such as ASM 13, 15, 20 or 50.