• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost Rider #1 (1950)

18 posts in this topic

I don't know what they will do about the color touch, guess it depends on how much is a little.

7.0 purple or 7.0 qualified, maybe higher, but the pq is a little off. I am assuming that the spine is not split on top right?

That is a great book

no the spine is not split that is the black ink from the color touch bleeding through.

In that case I don't think a 7 is out of the question, I have a whiz that looks similar overall, but has some color breaks to the lower spine (but a lot more gloss) and got a 7 so I think you're in good shape there.

PLOD Apparent 6.0 (Moderate Amateur) sumo.gif

Maybe it's the crack I've been smoking, but could you explain the 6.0, I don't own the book so I have no horse in this race, but what makes it a 6 vs being higher (or lower?)

Just curious

thanks for the grades the comic looks better in person but I will be happy with a 7 but Iam hoping for atleast a 7.5 as for a 6 I am not experienced enough to disagree

Maybe it's the crack I've been smoking, but could you explain the 6.0, I don't own the book so I have no horse in this race, but what makes it a 6 vs being higher (or lower?)

Just curious

JC,

Here's the way I feel about it. The color touch is extensive and shoddy. Take it away and what do you have? Obviously, about a 2" area of color loss along the spine. Now, would you allow a 7.0 with this defect? Nope. If the color touch was professionally well done, I might consider an apparent 7.0 due to the book's general positives. You cannot, however, ignore the defacing of the spine in your grade as the defect that it is.

-D

Just curious

JC,

Here's the way I feel about it. The color touch is extensive and shoddy. Take it away and what do you have? Obviously, about a 2" area of color loss along the spine. Now, would you allow a 7.0 with this defect? Nope. If the color touch was professionally well done, I might consider an apparent 7.0 due to the book's general positives. You cannot, however, ignore the defacing of the spine in your grade as the defect that it is.

-D

Generally I agree - but it is hard to tell just how much color loss the color touch is hiding, as it is amateur and may have been overdone - it may well have been a 7.0-7.5 book without it - but unfortunately as it is noticeable on the front cover, the overall effect down grades it as much as if the entire area had color loss. Would it really be considered moderate as opposed to slight restoration though - I wouldn't think so. The rest of the book looks pretty nice - I'll go with apparent 6.5 (slight amateur restoration) - but I wouldn't bother getting it slabbed.

Just curious

JC,

-D

Generally I agree - but it is hard to tell just how much color loss the color touch is hiding, as it is amateur and may have been overdone - it may well have been a 7.0-7.5 book without it - but unfortunately as it is noticeable on the front cover, the overall effect down grades it as much as if the entire area had color loss. Would it really be considered moderate as opposed to slight restoration though - I wouldn't think so. The rest of the book looks pretty nice - I'll go with apparent 6.5 (slight amateur restoration) - but I wouldn't bother getting it slabbed.

Ok, I defer . . . grin.gif

Just curious

JC,

-D

Fair enough...you make a good point about the spine

Please forgive me for being out of line, and utilizing my own standards...., but....

My personal grade....

WOW...!!!

Don't care what the "techinal grade" is.....

this falls under my own personal "Wish It Was Mine" grade....Awesome Ayers Cover... hail.gif

Good Looking Book...!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Bump

I guess I'm not seeing things others are seeing, because without the color touch defect this looks like an 8.0 to me. Just a couple of dings on the spine, and a little rounding of the corners, on an otherwise beautiful dark cover. As for the defect, I don't know how you factor restoration into a grade.

Wonderful comic!