• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Ditko documentary

19 posts in this topic

Coming to BBC. From Blake Bell's Blog:

http://www.bestofmostof.com/07apr/index070428.htm

"SATURDAY APRIL 28, 2007

Nothing worse than the anticipation of sitting on a story about which you've been sworn to secrecy. Nothing better than being allowed to let it out...

Ditko Documentary from the BBC

A surprise edition of BestOfMostOf.com on this Saturday night. Spider-Man 3 may be coming to theatres this coming Friday, but a related project can now be announced:

Famed BBC Radio and TV personality Jonathan Ross has been working on a documentary for the BBC (the state-owned, television and radio empire in England) about the co-creator and original artist of the Amazing Spider-Man, Steve Ditko.

Jonathan contacted me back in January regarding research for the documentary he's producing entitled, "In Search of Steve Ditko." It's going to be a one-hour documentary on BBC4 (the BBC's art channel in the UK).

The long list of those interviewed for the documentary include: Jerry Robinson, John Romita, Neil Gaiman, Paul Levitz, Ralph Macchio, Flo Steinberg, Alan Moore, Mark Millar, Stan Lee, Cat Yronwode and others, all filmed in the U.K., New York City and Los Angeles.

Jonathan is a huge Ditko admirer, even braving every Ditko fan's fear of rejection by knocking on Steve's studio door in Manhattan and chatting with him for over 20 minutes back in mid February.

You can learn more about Jonathan at the BBC2 radio web site and listen to the (3-hour) show today where he mentions the documentary and Steve Ditko at the one-and-a-half hour mark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/ross/

It's a banner time for Ditko fans, with the release of the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus (on the shelves April 25th, reprinting all the Lee / Ditko Amazing Spider-Man stories from the 1960s...and featuring a 1500-word essay written by yours truly) and the Spider-Man 3 movie just around the corner.

The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus can be ordered (for 37% off the cover price, a savings of $37), from Amazon.com in its two versions - the comic book store version, or the Alex Ross variant cover version. Order it from the above links and we get a bit of gravy that goes towards the upkeep of this site.

Stay tuned to this site (http://www.bestofmostof.com/) in the coming week for more details on the BBC Ditko documentary and more Spider-Man 3 movie coverage."

Please note: The above is quoted from Blake Bell's blog.

--Steve

Thanks for the heads up and I'll definitely be watching for the book and see if

I can find that documentary on a channel here in Canada.

Congrats on the essay you wrote Steve, I can hardly wait to read it. thumbsup2.gif

Nice work. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

flowerred.gif

Can't wait 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Saw Kirsten Dunst and Tobey Maguire being interviewed on the Jonathan Ross show last week and it was splendid...

Ross went all fanboy on them...the best part was that he was talking a lot more about the comics than the film itself...

When Ross talked about issue #99 and the 8-armed Spidey, Tobey Maguire didn't believe the story was ever printed, even after he claimed that he read the first 100 issues makepoint.gif

The third movie just premiered over here 39 minutes ago, at midnight...Sold out months ago sorry.gif

When Ross talked about issue #99 and the 8-armed Spidey, Tobey Maguire didn't believe the story was ever printed, even after he claimed that he read the first 100 issues makepoint.gif

gossip.gif Tobey was right! (At least as far as #99 goes.)

You're right of course...Ross made a blunder while showing off, all the fun starts in #100...

But still if Tobey claims to have read the first 100 issues, he should know about the 8-armed Spidey 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm clamming up about this now, starting to sound like a fanboy instead of a Marvel Zombie grin.gif

gossip.gif I didn't write it, Blake Bell did. I was quoting his Blog.... sorry.gif

But I can't wait for the documentary either! yay.gif

Thanks for the heads up and I'll definitely be watching for the book and see if

I can find that documentary on a channel here in Canada.

Congrats on the essay you wrote Steve, I can hardly wait to read it. thumbsup2.gif

Nice work. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

flowerred.gif

The long list of those interviewed for the documentary include: Jerry Robinson, John Romita, Neil Gaiman, Paul Levitz, Ralph Macchio, Flo Steinberg, Alan Moore, Mark Millar, Stan Lee, Cat Yronwode and others, all filmed in the U.K., New York City and Los Angeles.

I think the fact that Steve's name isn't on this list is pretty telling. It sounds pretty much like a one hour show comprised of people talking about Steve Ditko.

Ditko's style took many years to grow on me, I guess because it was soo different. He's a classic and I hope they have some great info about him, I know very little about his background. Looking forward to this one.

It is 6 arm Spidey and it was in issue 101 which is also the first appearance of morbius. So If Maguire stopped at issue 100 he wouldn't have known about six arm spidey.

I think the fact that Steve's name isn't on this list is pretty telling. It sounds pretty much like a one hour show comprised of people talking about Steve Ditko.

Well, being that he's a recluse, doesn't do interviews, and doesn't make public appearances, I'd say you're right. If Ditko himself made an appearance it would be pulitzer material (well for me, anyway) -- the comic book equivalent of sighting the Loch Ness Monster! I don't expect a peep from Ditko himself, unless they filmed knocking on his door and him yelling from the other side to get bent! 27_laughing.gif

If the piece provides a nice bit of historical and biographical information, some anecdotes from people who have worked with him, and hopefully some fresh information or stories, well, that's enough for me. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That was an interesting thing from Ditko circa 1973. The stuff he produced in the 70s and 80s for the big comic companies was pretty terrible for the most part, but that looked pretty cool. Did he do independent stuff in the 70s where he let his talents show? He must be into his 70s now, no? How has he survived the last few years? Does he sell the occasional sketch or something?

Thanks, Rhino, a interesting link. As I was reading it, I was thinking that being like an "ordinary" person, gets Ditko termed a "recluse". The hobby media seems to have some difficulty in dealing with people that do not necessarily revel in celebrity.

Dennis

That was an interesting thing from Ditko circa 1973. The stuff he produced in the 70s and 80s for the big comic companies was pretty terrible for the most part, but that looked pretty cool. Did he do independent stuff in the 70s where he let his talents show? He must be into his 70s now, no? How has he survived the last few years? Does he sell the occasional sketch or something?

His independent stuff since the 1970s has increasingly reflected his objectivist philosophies. It's absolutely fascinating if you like that sort of thing. I like it, but I seem to be in the minority.

I've met people who write to him regularly but I can't speak much to his personal situation.

Thanks for the Info. It's about time Ditko was so honored. He's definitely one of the most versitle and prolific artists/writers in comic history.

My favorite Ditko work was Chalton's Capt. Atom; The Question; and Space Adventures. Also enjoyed his many Horror & Sci-Fi tales.

Trading For Silver Age Magic Related Comics: Mandrake; Mr. Miracle; H.O.S. with Mark Merlin stories: Etc.