• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your absolute favorite Captain America Comics cover?

99 posts in this topic

...Pick one, and post if you have it. If you don't have it or an image of it, just tell us which Golden Age Captain America cover is your favorite? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

#74 - hands down. I'm too lazy to post mine - but I'm sure someone else will soon be along to do so.

Meanwhile I have a scan handy of my 2nd favorite:

cap46.jpg

2-12-07007.jpg

I have a theory about this cover. The guy on the bottom left has his hand up, and there's a gun floating in mid-air just behind it, as if the gun was shot out of his hand. The hand is rather large, and takes up a signifcant amount of space on the bottom right of the cover. When Schomburg drew it, he probably didn't know that most of the hand would be covered by the banner reading "The Human Torch, In This Issue!".

Judging by the look on the guy's face, the free-floating gun, and the fact that the other soldier in yellow seems to be staring at the gun and the hand, I think Schomburg may have drawn a bullet hole in that hand. Maybe the editors at Timely thought it was a little bit too much, and placed the Human Torch banner there for just that reason.

Or, maybe I'm full of malarky. But I think it's a real possibility.

2-12-07007.jpg

I have a theory about this cover. The guy on the bottom left has his hand up, and there's a gun floating in mid-air just behind it, as if the gun was shot out of his hand. The hand is rather large, and takes up a signifcant amount of space on the bottom right of the cover. When Schomburg drew it, he probably didn't know that most of the hand would be covered by the banner reading "The Human Torch, In This Issue!".

Judging by the look on the guy's face, the free-floating gun, and the fact that the other soldier in yellow seems to be staring at the gun and the hand, I think Schomburg may have drawn a bullet hole in that hand. Maybe the editors at Timely thought it was a little bit too much, and placed the Human Torch banner there for just that reason.

Interesting theory. I do find it bizarre that his hand and face are a flushed purple color but the rest of the Nazi's are normal skin color.

West

2-12-07007.jpg

Looks to me that he's just putting his hands up as he runs away. The gun is (perspectively) in the background, and it doesn't seem - to me - that it's even his.