• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your absolute favorite Captain America Comics cover?

99 posts in this topic

2-12-07007.jpg

I have a theory about this cover. The guy on the bottom left has his hand up, and there's a gun floating in mid-air just behind it, as if the gun was shot out of his hand. The hand is rather large, and takes up a signifcant amount of space on the bottom right of the cover. When Schomburg drew it, he probably didn't know that most of the hand would be covered by the banner reading "The Human Torch, In This Issue!".

Judging by the look on the guy's face, the free-floating gun, and the fact that the other soldier in yellow seems to be staring at the gun and the hand, I think Schomburg may have drawn a bullet hole in that hand. Maybe the editors at Timely thought it was a little bit too much, and placed the Human Torch banner there for just that reason.

Or, maybe I'm full of malarky. But I think it's a real possibility.

Looks to me that he's just putting his hands up as he runs away. The gun is (perspectively) in the background, and it doesn't seem - to me - that it's even his.

I think the inability to view my hypothetical bullet hole is what makes it difficult to determine who's gun it is. But, looking at the cover, who else's could it be?

2-12-07007.jpg

I have a theory about this cover. The guy on the bottom left has his hand up, and there's a gun floating in mid-air just behind it, as if the gun was shot out of his hand. The hand is rather large, and takes up a signifcant amount of space on the bottom right of the cover. When Schomburg drew it, he probably didn't know that most of the hand would be covered by the banner reading "The Human Torch, In This Issue!".

Judging by the look on the guy's face, the free-floating gun, and the fact that the other soldier in yellow seems to be staring at the gun and the hand, I think Schomburg may have drawn a bullet hole in that hand. Maybe the editors at Timely thought it was a little bit too much, and placed the Human Torch banner there for just that reason.

Or, maybe I'm full of malarky. But I think it's a real possibility.

Looks to me that he's just putting his hands up as he runs away. The gun is (perspectively) in the background, and it doesn't seem - to me - that it's even his.

I think the inability to view my hypothetical bullet hole is what makes it difficult to determine who's gun it is. But, looking at the cover, who else's could it be?

I don't know, but 3 guys behind him have their hands up in a similar fashion. If it is his gun, that would support that he's just throwing his hands up a la surrendur, and the gun is in the background because he's running away from it.

i thought all schommy nazis were right-handed? personally, it's a good theory, but i just don't think there was a decision to edit any violence. however, i do think that the gun belongs to the soldier in question.

This one is definitely my #1 fav Cap cover... cloud9.gif

Cap_7.jpg

Diz- are you starting to get into Timelys? poke2.gif

Out of the Cap run, #1-3 are the best of the first 10 issues. #28 and #33 are very good too. I've never liked the #74 for some reason. confused-smiley-013.gif...

Of course, if you are talking the BEST Cap cover of ALL TIME...well, it's

All Select #1. Done deal. The interior art is not very good unfortunately, but the FC is just SMOKIN hail.gif

allSelect1front.jpg

Of course, if you are talking the BEST Cap cover of ALL TIME...well, it's

All Select #1. Done deal. The interior art is not very good unfortunately, but the FC is just SMOKIN hail.gif

allSelect1front.jpg

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

I was wondering when we would get into the off title Cap covers. While Captain America #13 is my favorite from his title, this is my favorite Cap cover of all.....

usa7.jpg

I was wondering when we would get into the off title Cap covers. While Captain America #13 is my favorite from his title, this is my favorite Cap cover of all.....

usa7.jpg

Gorgeous, Richard....Simply Gorgeous! cloud9.gif

OT: Schomburg was MOST IMPRESSIVE in his artistry and historical accuracy. Haruna was a legendary Japanese battleship extensively employed during WWII including Battle of Midway, Indian Ocean Raid and the climactic Japanese attack on U.S. bases at Guadalcanal.

Look how closely Alex S. modelled his warship on the actual Haruna... Nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

h88378.jpg

I have a hard time believing nobody has picked this one yet... did I miss it?

first Red Skull cover, Schomburg, girl-in-glass-tube... 893applaud-thumb.gif

1783194-CAP%233POST0001.jpg

Not to mention S & K interior art and Stan Lee's first work for Timely...

usa7.jpg

USA 7 is tied for 2nd on my list with All Select 2...

usa7.jpg

OT: Schomburg was MOST IMPRESSIVE in his artistry and historical accuracy. Haruna was a legendary Japanese battleship extensively employed during WWII including Battle of Midway, Indian Ocean Raid and the climactic Japanese attack on U.S. bases at Guadalcanal.

Look how closely Alex S. modelled his warship on the actual Haruna... Nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

h88378.jpg

Great historical point Dino. Schomburg was the best GA cover artist...WWII has always been my favorite part of US History...

usa7.jpg

h88378.jpg

Great historical point Dino. Schomburg was the best GA cover artist...WWII has always been my favorite part of US History...

So how exactly is Bucky shooting below and behind Cap's leg to blow up that plane on the flight deck. Seems like Schomburg missed the whole perspective class in Art School on this one.

Bucky is shooting at an off-panel Zero, the plane on the deck has been hit by one of the American planes. The busy image gives the unfortunate illusion that Bucky's machine gun fire is hitting the plane on deck. That could be a valid complaint, but don't blame bad perspective.

hello all...

my absolute favorite cover is the one where Cap. America is battling the bad guys (can't remember the issue, but I am sure you all know exactly which one I am refering to) smile.gif

gator

collecting all Captain America Comics in 2008

hello all...

my absolute favorite cover is the one where Cap. America is battling the bad guys (can't remember the issue, but I am sure you all know exactly which one I am refering to) smile.gif

That's one of my favorites as well! thumbsup2.gif