• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How popular is Action Comics vs. Detective Comics ?

47 posts in this topic

Action #1 is the hobbies "big" book...always has been / always will be.

Aside from extreme interest in that single issue though, these Boards are full of what appears to be a very large dominant percentage of Batman/Detective threads, Avatars, and 'wanted to buys'. So I guess my question is, what do you think is the percentage of Action/Superman collectors vs. Detective/Batman collectors?

Does the Boards Batman/Detective preference mirror the National comics collector/investor marketplace, or are the CGC Gold Boards just inordinately 'Batman heavy'?

Your opinions are appreciated.

Steve

Batman in number one in my book. I always like how he had no super powers, just lots of hard work.

In other words... Batman is cool, Superman is boring. tongue.gif

Way cool Batman is -

1780909-Batman22.jpg

screwy.gifdevil.gifpoke2.gif

I actually don't see too many Detective threads that cover the whole title. They tend to be pre-Robin Detective threads.

On the other hand, there are several Action threads.

One of the aspects of Action Comics that, in my mind, will always make the title more attractive than Detective is the presence of numerous war covers. I can understand why they didn't have B&R in Europe fighting the Germans or the South Pacific fighting the Japanese, but there could have been some very cool homefront/espionage war covers in Detective, had they chosen to do so. My favorite Batman covers are the war covers, 12, 15, 17, 18, & 30.

interesting...back in the early 90's...I collected action 1-100 and Batman 1-100....didn't collect detectives or superman (the action 1-14 kind of "fell" into my lap, but Batman was the title I wanted)...

today, i am collecting Batman 1-103 (done), Detective 27-200 (ain't even close) and Superman 1-20 or so (already did the action, so I have decided to go after some supes)...

that said, if a nice collection of both action and detective hit the market, I would likely want the tecs more than the actions..

gator

I agree, it's not overwhelmingly one-sided in the GA/SA. Once you hit 1968-present it is Batman all the way. I think I sell bronze Batman/Detective 3-1 over Superman titles. (And the Batman collectors never want World's Finest--interesting isn't it?) For modern books? Batman 4-1 or more. Action Comics after issue 500 never sells for me whereas Detective does as do all the Bat titles.

One of the aspects of Action Comics that, in my mind, will always make the title more attractive than Detective is the presence of numerous war covers. I can understand why they didn't have B&R in Europe fighting the Germans or the South Pacific fighting the Japanese, but there could have been some very cool homefront/espionage war covers in Detective, had they chosen to do so. My favorite Batman covers are the war covers, 12, 15, 17, 18, & 30.

Nice point, & much agree!