• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How popular is Action Comics vs. Detective Comics ?

47 posts in this topic

Since I'm primarily a cover collector when it comes to GA books, I'd have to go with the Action books. Plus, Superman has always been my second favorite character (after Spider-Man of course).

Aghh, I'm surrounded by a bunch of people who care more about the covers than what's inside.

Not entirely... confused-smiley-013.gif ...but the cover is certainly important.

I agree, it's not overwhelmingly one-sided in the GA/SA. Once you hit 1968-present it is Batman all the way. I think I sell bronze Batman/Detective 3-1 over Superman titles. (And the Batman collectors never want World's Finest--interesting isn't it?) For modern books? Batman 4-1 or more. Action Comics after issue 500 never sells for me whereas Detective does as do all the Bat titles.

27_laughing.gif As a kid, I started with Brave and Bold and Batman, not buying Detective or World's Finest. A few years into comics, I started Detective, but not World's Finest. Now, 30 years later, I'm slowing buying up those World's Finest I passed on the first time around.

I have been a GA Action/Superman collector for quite a while and would pick up the occasional Batman here and there. I must say I have recently been inspired by a fellow board member to pursue Batman 1-20 and am pretty exited about the hunt.

Aghh, I'm surrounded by a bunch of people who care more about the covers than what's inside.

Having read through a number of GA archives in the last few years - I can see the reason why.

I think the GA board is such a small segment of GA collectors that it's hard to make any definitive estimate the numbers of Detective vs. Action collectors.

That being said, everyone knows that pre-Robin TECs are hot and are consistently selling for 3-4 times guide. Several copies of each issue have made themselves available on these boards which generates additional conversation.

I think if an Action run of say 7-13 came to auction or for sale on these boards, it would generate much the same interest as the pre-Robin TECs. It's just that when is the last time an Action 7 or an Action 8 came up for sale? Almost never. So, IMO I would say general interest for early TECs & early Actions are very similar.

Comparing later books such as TEC 50-70 to Action 40-50, I'd say Actions are much more popular mostly for the reasons nearmint mentioned (Action has the war covers)

I like both titles, and hope to add more issues from each to my collection. grin.gif

I think the GA board is such a small segment of GA collectors that it's hard to make any definitive estimate the numbers of Detective vs. Action collectors.

That being said, everyone knows that pre-Robin TECs are hot and are consistently selling for 3-4 times guide. Several copies of each issue have made themselves available on these boards which generates additional conversation.

I think if an Action run of say 7-13 came to auction or for sale on these boards, it would generate much the same interest as the pre-Robin TECs. It's just that when is the last time an Action 7 or an Action 8 came up for sale? Almost never. So, IMO I would say general interest for early TECs & early Actions are very similar.

Comparing later books such as TEC 50-70 to Action 40-50, I'd say Actions are much more popular mostly for the reasons nearmint mentioned (Action has the war covers)

I like both titles, and hope to add more issues from each to my collection. grin.gif

As usual, I agree with Durden!! thumbsup2.gif

Superman has always been my favorite character.

Since I do not have the budget to collect all of the GA's that I might want I only buy Superman<100 with the occasional Action thrown in.

I certainly keep the Batmans/Dectectives to fill in when I buy collections, but the only one I have ever bought at either a convention or off eBay was Dectective 225.

Oh, and I do buy Worlds Finest.

I think if an Action run of say 7-13 came to auction or for sale on these boards, it would generate much the same interest as the pre-Robin TECs.

I've been wondering if it's simply the relative lack of Superman covers in the early part of the run that makes it more attractive for those wanting to put together a very early superhero run to focus on the Detectives (27 up). Only 5 of the first 15 books of the Action run have Supes covers.

That said, maybe you are right to focus on 7-13 as a starting point by way of comparison of the two situations. 13 is much discussed here certainly. Have any 7's or 10's come up for sale recently?

Did any of you Action collectors decide to start your run with the beginning of the continuous Supes covers at #19? Although #17 is a really cool cover also.

I think it's a close call between Batman and Superman. I know it seems like Batman and Detective Comics collectors could outweigh Action and Superman collectors but, I am starting to see more and more people collecting Actions especially. I can personally say, that I have recieved many PM's from people trying to buy my Actions.

Have any 7's or 10's come up for sale recently?

Not really. In the last 3 years I've seen one copy of Action #7, a CGC 4.0, and it sold for around 4 times guide I believe. I've seen a couple Action #10s, but most were VERY low grade, and all were restored.

Did any of you Action collectors decide to start your run with the beginning of the continuous Supes covers at #19? Although #17 is a really cool cover also.

I'd love an Action 7, but don't feel I'd ever find one I can afford. So, I decided to start at Action 10 and hope to continue on through 23 plus some various issues past 23. I'm keeping some of the non-Supes covers in my attempted run due to the scarcity of some of them plus I like the coolness factor & the stories of the pre-1940 books.

I have been a GA Action/Superman collector for quite a while and would pick up the occasional Batman here and there. I must say I have recently been inspired by a fellow board member to pursue Batman 1-20 and am pretty exited about the hunt.

very good idea smile.gif

gator

I'd love an Action 7, but don't feel I'd ever find one I can afford. So, I decided to start at Action 10 and hope to continue on through 23 plus some various issues past 23. I'm keeping some of the non-Supes covers in my attempted run due to the scarcity of some of them plus I like the coolness factor & the stories of the pre-1940 books.

I was just looking at 19-30 in the guide and they seem relatively reasonable in non-high grade considering what they are. Though I suppose that they are never available at guide.

I'm complete on Action 51-63, and now I'm working backwards to 30(So far, I have 6 books between 30 & 50).

I'm a big Fred Ray and Jack Burnley fan, so I prefer those covers to the earlier ones. Although, if I ever have a stupid amount of discretionary income, I'll be on the lookout for 7 & 13. Especially 7.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm a huge fan of Detective. Tec #71 is one of my favorite covers of all time.

Outside of Action 1 Ithink Detective is the more interesting and attractive run.The Detective cover art covers are classics and more attractive, Batman has many interesting villians who are ALL very popular villans.Supes only has Luthor and he does not compare to Bats villians popularity.Detective comics also has more KEY issues in its early runs 1, 27, 33, 38, 140, 225 and on. and most of all , this is comming from a Superman fan !

history channel's specials last night were referring to batman and robin as gay in the early days while wonder woman was butch.

Action #1 is the hobbies "big" book...always has been / always will be.

I've always been partial to Obadiah Oldbuck. But, that's just me. stooges.gif

grin.gif

sign-funnypost.gif