• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dad&Son's Pressing Project ( follow up to Joeypost's project )

178 posts in this topic

I don't dispute anything you state above (and I doubt many people would), just not really clear what the true purpose is, especially since there seems to be multiple threads of just this type.

Just because people can likely easily achieve a successful press of a book, or that we all likely have pressed books in our collection, does that mean it should be more accepted? Practiced by all?

If that is the goal, that's fine. Just would be nice if people actually said that so we understood the reason for the public experiment.

Personally, I don't want to practice it. But that's me. Others clearly differ. And I know where you stand on disclosure and that is what tr

I'm not trying to say it should be more accepted to practice... I think it should be more accepted that it is heavily out there... only the true players probably know the real numbers to a certain degree... my goal is truly awareness... like yourself.. I have a successful career too.. I'm not doing this for monetary purposes... I do it because

#1 - it fascinates me and I love a challenge...

#2 - I like to improve the look of my books in my collection.. I enjoy reading the oldies as if they just came from the newsstand.

if I can educate and share to an extent and people see that and appreciate that I would try to share my experiences then I feel it's a win/win situation. thumbsup2.gif

oh and did I mention I disclose.. smirk.gif

I don't dispute anything you state above (and I doubt many people would), just not really clear what the true purpose is, especially since there seems to be multiple threads of just this type.

Just because people can likely easily achieve a successful press of a book, or that we all likely have pressed books in our collection, does that mean it should be more accepted? Practiced by all?

If that is the goal, that's fine. Just would be nice if people actually said that so we understood the reason for the public experiment.

Personally, I don't want to practice it. But that's me. Others clearly differ. And I know where you stand on disclosure and that is what tr

I'm not trying to say it should be more accepted to practice... I think it should be more accepted that it is heavily out there... only the true players probably know the real numbers to a certain degree... my goal is truly awareness... like yourself.. I have a successful career too.. I'm not doing this for monetary purposes... I do it because

#2 - I like to improve the look of my books in my collection.. I enjoy reading the oldies as if they just came from the newsstand.

if I can educate and share to an extent and people see that and appreciate that I would try to share my experiences then I feel it's a win/win situation. thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

893blahblah.gif

I can see a difference in the brfore and afters.. but I am really curious whether Borock et al would notice the work from just the after book in hand. And whether it would be a purple "bad" press job, or a Blue legit successful enhancement.

For me personaly, I think showing before and after pics of a pressing job is educational. (amateur or professional) Everyone has their own views on the subject and that's obvious.

To be honest, I always thought that a pressed book would look "squashed", so to speak. Well, most of the spines on my squarebounds look no different than the after pictures posted here. Some were bought new, so there is no way that any of them have been pressed. (other than in their boxes)

Can someone answer a question I have?...

How would someone price a book that was pressed? Based on what the same book would sell for in the exact final grade.

Eg. A 9.4 non-pressed book valued at $200.00 versus a 9.4 pressed book

(a real answer would be better than a "whatever someone was willing to pay for it) tongue.gif

I can see a difference in the brfore and afters.. but I am really curious whether Borock et al would notice the work from just the after book in hand. And whether it would be a purple "bad" press job, or a Blue legit successful enhancement.

$64,000 question.. but I will always fall back to the point.. how do you prove if it was pressed with a press or just natural... when done right... it's something you can't say with 100% certainty... I don't think anyone is fully qualified to be able to make that call.. because it's too non-evasive. You would be pizzing off a lot of folks if you started to just guess their books were pressed

thats the problem. In order to answer your question the market would have to be filled with pressed/disclosed and non-pressed copies in 9.4. At it stands now, there arent enough sellers wiling to disclose the enhancement. So, your answer is: Who knows?

punish this.. thanks for bringing nothing to the table... so useful like so many others that use graemlins... do some studying.. some hard learning on the subject then bring your puppy to the dog fight... oh .. here you go... 893blahblah.gif

i'll get right on that "hard learning".

I think the only true problem with pressing a comic, is disclosure. I haven't bought any pressed books as far as I know. But I don't think I would pass up on a book I was looking for if it was in 9.6 pressed.

So long as I got it for a decent price thumbsup2.gif

If I am not mistaken. CGC will only downgrade a book for what flaws it exhibits..be it a bad press job or bad storage methods for that matter.

They are not out to determine how the flaws got there, just what flaws are present, and downgrade for them accordingly.

We all might have an idea about what traits a pressed book may exhibit. But in the end it is mere guess work given the natural tendencies of the comics themselves.

Ze-

I don't think anyone is fully qualified to be able to make that call.. because it's too non-evasive.

Alright Paul, I wasn't going to do this at first but now it's driving me nuts. INvasive!!!!

I don't think anyone is fully qualified to be able to make that call.. because it's too non-evasive.

Alright Paul, I wasn't going to do this at first but now it's driving me nuts. INvasive!!!!

Meyabe he was implying that it was difficult to dodge or avoid? confused-smiley-013.gif

Meyabe he was implying that it was difficult to dodge or avoid? confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe I meant evasive confused-smiley-013.gif...I don't know anymore... sorry.gif

$64,000 question.. but I will always fall back to the point.. how do you prove if it was pressed with a press or just natural... when done right... it's something you can't say with 100% certainty... I don't think anyone is fully qualified to be able to make that call.. because it's too non-evasive. You would be pizzing off a lot of folks if you started to just guess their books were pressed

It doesn't matter in this case. You actually created creases on the lower edge of the comic. Somebody looking at this comic can see that pressure was applied. It doesn't matter how it got there and in today's market a collector seeing damage like that can only assume it was pressed. They would probably pass this by and be more than happy to buy the wavy copy as it proves no pressing has occured and CGC doesn't deduct hard for the problem on GS copies...

Jim

Strictly from a technical standpoint, what I think we see in these examples is:

GS glue bound books get wavy because, over time, the paper expands and contracts. However, the glued spine area is fixed in place and that paper cannot expand and contract freely, so you get a wavy spine.

I'm betting that the press applies just enough heat to loosen the glue on the spine and therefore frees the paper in that area to relax and flatten out.

I would also presume, once the glue hardens and fixes the paper firmly in place once again, over time, the waves will reappear with the ongoing expansion and contraction of the paper.

Can someone answer a question I have?...

How would someone price a book that was pressed? Based on what the same book would sell for in the exact final grade.

Eg. A 9.4 non-pressed book valued at $200.00 versus a 9.4 pressed book

(a real answer would be better than a "whatever someone was willing to pay for it) tongue.gif

That's the biggest issue in the whole debate. People that are pressing books for resale are doing it to achieve maximum prices on the books. They are getting the same $$$ for a pressed 9.4 (that may have been a 9.0-9.2) as a non-pressed 9.4.

Some people don't mind, some people do. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know what the actual "value" would be in comparasion but I assume if the book was disclosed pressed, that'd cut out a chunk of serious collectors from the grouping of buyers. That might be the reason so many dealers are scared to fully disclose, or maybe they're just being jerks. Who knows.

I don't know what the actual "value" would be in comparasion but I assume if the book was disclosed pressed, that'd cut out a chunk of serious collectors from the grouping of buyers. That might be the reason so many dealers are scared to fully disclose, or maybe they're just being jerks. Who knows.

One would think a book that was 9.4 before pressing and 9.6 after would still fetch a better price than the original 9.4. Again the cost of pressing and re-subbing would have to be factored in. This would eliminate many books but there is still enough books that this is still worth while (especially if there is no disclosure).

Hey Mark,

And .... so we do these "projects" to demonstrate what exactly?
my point, that maybe comes off as indirect, is to show that it's that simple...and people should realize that anyone with a little effort and practice can do it too on many levels..hence driving the point that it's been around for a long time and everyone has probably unknowingly owned or owns a pressed book.

Sorta like saying... talk is talk.. but put your money where your mouth is and show us... so I decided to throw out some before and after pics

well.. I've only been tinkering for less then 2 months and studied the experiments hard and have been able to progress further each time...

Personally, I don't want to practice it. But that's me. Others clearly differ. And I know where you stand on disclosure and that is what truly matters. thumbsup2.gifhi.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I too have read these latest pressing experiment threads and wondered what the purpose/goal was. This isn't directed solely at Paul or Joey, but more to the members I've seen chiming in with the astonishment I've seen...but, what do you guys find so amazing about the results?

Pressing is like steroids, the problem is they both do their job at enhancing the subject exposed to them. I don't believe anyone has ever argued that pressing DOES'NT work to enhance the appearance of a book and there's a guy named Bonds about to break Hank Aaron's HR record that should be all the proof you need to know roids work too. confused-smiley-013.gif

So, the "Wows" in these threads do confuse me. confused.gif If it's just a matter of how simple it is to get these results, that also has been discussed many times before on these boards. I could probably crumple up a perfectly good book, then stack a bunch of Ecylopedia Britanica's on top of it and show you a flatter book after a couple days, but what's the mystery there?

So, just to recap:

1) Pressing does enhance a book (if not done poorly)

2) Basic pressing (ie: flattening out of a crumpled/wavy book) is not that hard.

3) If you want 9.8 type of spot pressing, you still want to go to Matt Nelson.

confused-smiley-013.gif