• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dad&Son's Pressing Project ( follow up to Joeypost's project )

178 posts in this topic

Thanks John!!!! thumbsup2.gif

Anytime Paul, anytime!

I think I am going to go search for a well rolled spine. Maybe see if I can do a little demonstration of my own.

I just turned the hot shower on (humidty to relax paper) and I plugged in the George Forman Grill (skillet model - I don't own an iron). I'll let you know how it turns out! insane.gifpoke2.gif

John hi.gif

Anytime Paul, anytime!

I think I am going to go search for a well rolled spine. Maybe see if I can do a little demonstration of my own.

I just turned the hot shower on (humidty to relax paper) and I plugged in the George Forman Grill (skillet model - I don't own an iron). I'll let you know how it turns out! insane.gifpoke2.gif

John hi.gif

27_laughing.gif go get'em man!!! thumbsup2.gif you've just released all the secrets in one post tongue.gif

Press Project #3 - Unexpected 100 pager

Ok.. the 100 pager that has flaws that pressing can't take out.. small tears, colour breaking creases but for the most part did remove the rippling in the spine and all soft creasing that run throughout the cover.. thumbsup2.gif

Before #1

bp1.jpg

After #1

AP1.jpg

Before #2

BP2.jpg

After #2

AP2.jpg

Before #3

BP3.jpg

After #3

AP2.jpg

Before #4

BP4.jpg

After #4

AP3.jpg

Before #5

BP5.jpg

After #5

AP4.jpg

Before #6

BP6.jpg

After #6

AP6.jpg

Anytime Paul, anytime!

John hi.gif

27_laughing.gif

I just got 2 Cookie sheets and a bag of rocks!

Gonna go pre-heat the oven now thumbsup2.gif

Anytime Paul, anytime!

John hi.gif

27_laughing.gif

I just got 2 Cookie sheets and a bag of rocks!

Gonna go pre-heat the oven now thumbsup2.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

C'mon now... we don't want to give away ALL of the secrets! We wouldn't want people who choose to experiment WITH THEIR comics to ruin any!

BTW - Be sure to spay "Pam" on the cookie sheets. Also, the oven should be set no higher than 450 degrees. Just letting you know from experience shy.gif

John takeit.gif

I am worried that some collectors/dealers will think that pressing is easy and destroy some very nice books.

We'll that's been illustrated here to a point. The GS Werewolf example added creases near the bottom edge of the spine...

One of my concerns about pressing has been that collectors would try the "home garage" method and subsequently damage perfectly good books. There is apparently a world of skill level involved between professional pressing and amateur flattening of comics. What we saw with this example illustrates how NOT to press a comic...

And really...it's all academic unless methods of pressing are revealed. I fear some will see threads such as this and think they can pull the iron out and have a go...and destroy some comics in the process. What would be interesting is what is used in the process to do an adequate job. At least it would give people inclined to experiment a basis and not needlessly screw-up their comics...

Jim

Jim, although I do respect your opinion, as everyone else's on this matter, why is it so important to you what other people do with THEIR OWN books? If I ever were to own a copy of Marvel Mystery Comics #1 and wanted to write my name in it, why would you care? You don't own the book. I do. The same goes with this pressing "issue". If people want to press their own books, who are you to tell them what is right and wrong? And why do you care if they ruin their own property?

I am worried that some collectors/dealers will think that pressing is easy and destroy some very nice books.

We'll that's been illustrated here to a point. The GS Werewolf example added creases near the bottom edge of the spine...

One of my concerns about pressing has been that collectors would try the "home garage" method and subsequently damage perfectly good books. There is apparently a world of skill level involved between professional pressing and amateur flattening of comics. What we saw with this example illustrates how NOT to press a comic...

And really...it's all academic unless methods of pressing are revealed. I fear some will see threads such as this and think they can pull the iron out and have a go...and destroy some comics in the process. What would be interesting is what is used in the process to do an adequate job. At least it would give people inclined to experiment a basis and not needlessly screw-up their comics...

Jim

Jim, although I do respect your opinion, as everyone else's on this matter, why is it so important to you what other people do with THEIR OWN books? If I ever were to own a copy of Marvel Mystery Comics #1 and wanted to write my name in it, why would you care? You don't own the book. I do. The same goes with this pressing "issue". If people want to press their own books, who are you to tell them what is right and wrong? And why do you care if they ruin their own property?

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

The fact is that people chimed in about why they felt this was "entertaining" or educational and yet he soldiers on about his agenda. I mean, if you can't get anything out of the thread aside from making snide comments, then you should either A) stay out or B) shut up and keep it to yourself.

Every one of us who tries to keep the discussions civil and productive have said the same exact thing more than once, and usually when we are fairly new on the boards. Believe me, and I bet I can speak for Scheradon on this one, we agree with you. Unfortunately this never seems to work because the people who typically post the snide comments that contribute nothing to a thread don't care what other people think. They proceed to ruin the thread no matter what.

Hopefully with more people, whether a newbie or not, like yourself Sid, we can start down a new path. And it will help that the CGC moderators are starting to crack down on posts. It is just a matter of time before several forumites who do little to nothing to contribute to a thread are suspended, if not outright banned.

Here's to you Sid. flowerred.gif

I've found it almost impossible to follow this debate.

My only question is whether there has been any discussion about an online database of high resolution scans? Heritage's database is currently almost indispensable for tracking comics, but their incentive is not necessarily to provide a free service to the hobby and it could get closed down at any moment.

I think the idea behind NOD is admirable, but IMO an online database of _all_ comics worth more than $XXXX is the only realistic way to keep undisclosed pressing/restoration under control. If such a public service was available, I would instantly contribute scans of my whole collection so that they could get "time stamped" to the benefit of future potential buyers.

tb

Because eventually some of these comics are going to hit the market. I doubt there are many people who will try to press their comics that aren't also thinking about unloading them...

If I thought they were keeping these experiments for eternity you wouldn't hear a peep from me...

Jim

Because eventually some of these comics are going to hit the market. I doubt there are many people who will try to press their comics that aren't also thinking about unloading them...

If I thought they were keeping these experiments for eternity you wouldn't hear a peep from me...

Jim

What you're focusing on is disclosure. I am all for people saying if there has been something done with a book before they sell it. What I'm getting at is this: It seemed as if you were telling people what they should and should not do with their own comics.

What you're focusing on is disclosure. I am all for people saying if there has been something done with a book before they sell it. What I'm getting at is this: It seemed as if you were telling people what they should and should not do with their own comics.

Then I'm being misunderstood. Just to be clear, collectors can do whatever they please to their comics.

My concern is they will see these examples of pressing, hear how simple and cool it is, and try it at home to see if they can pretty up comics. The vast majority of the collectors doing so aren't going to be experimenting solely to make their collections prettier...they are going to have an eye towards selling them.

It's the whole CGC paradigm again only switched to home pressing...why slab your own comics if you're not going to sell? I know a few do but the vast majority of collectors have never used CGC and probably won't until the day they are ready to sell. Same applies to pressing at home in my opinion...

And without seeing the tools required for a decent press job and/or skill required they are going to jack a load of comics up, probably not even realize it (and it really wouldn't matter even if they do), and probably dump/sell them afterwards (who wants damaged goods?). And no, they are more than likely not going to disclose...at least those that are known damaged by their little endeavors...

Jim

My concern is they will see these examples of pressing, hear how simple and cool it is, and try it at home to see if they can pretty up comics.

Or is your concern that they will see how simple and cool pressing is and they will want to see if they can have their books pressed to spiffy up their comics?

Of course I am just kidding Jim, and giving you a hard time.

If people are going to attempt to do things and fail miserably their books will exhibit flaws that are downgraded accordingly by you,me, and CGC. So disclosure of a bad press job is a moot point. One just grades the book in front of them as damaged goods and decides if they still want it. But I can see your concern for the people damaging books that they had no business working on in the first place. I really can.

Practicing on readers is one thing, trying to parlay that into a pot gold was what I think the impetus of these threads were all about. Making people aware that it has and probably does go on. And to keep an eye out for it.

But in the end, as was said already. They are their books, and theirs to do with as they see fit. Even if you or I might disagree.

I need to run as I am working on a time sensitive project, but hope you can see I am not trying to antagonize, just converse.

Kenny

I am proud to say that I love the cartoon, have watched a ton of episodes with my daughters.. AND plenty without them. I'm very secure in my admiration and appreciation for the sponge... great stuff.

sumo.gifheadbang.gif

1794354-Hulk-Boblg.jpg

Isnt Spongebob on now poke2.gifstooges.gif

WTF foreheadslap.gif

sorry.gif

I seriously hope you don't watch that... screwy.gif

I do, Patrick is one funny character 27_laughing.gif

1794354-Hulk-Boblg.jpg.fab8e509dc501a8d2b1d8dd330a544e2.jpg