• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got some boxes back from CGC

71 posts in this topic

Well I wanted to try an experiment to see how well I could do at a convention or EBAY buying RAW books versus buying RAW books from a noted dealer and Heritage's weekly auctions.

The results are in

my purchases

bot as an came back from CGC as

8.0 7.5

8.0 8.5

8.0 8.0

8.0 7.0

8.0 8.0

8.0 7.0

8.0 8.0

8.0 7.0

8.0 7.5

8.0 8.5

8.0 7.0

8.0 8.0

8.0 9.0

8.0 7.5

8.0 8.5

8.0 8.0

8.0 8.5

8.0 8.5

8.0 8.5

8.0 7.0

8.0 7.5

8.0 7.0

8.0 8.0

8.0 8.0

8.0 6.0 oops

8.0 7.0

8.0 7.5

8.0 8.5

8.0 7.5

8.0 9.0

8.0 8.5

8.0 9.0

8.0 8.5

8.0 8.0

8.0 7.0

8.0 8.0

8.0 8.5

8.0 7.5

As you can see from these examples, I bought the books based on what I thought the books looked like to me. Some were advertised as higher graded, some were not graded at all, and some were graded 8.0. I only purchased the books if I thought they were at least an 8.0 grade and could purchase them for less than 8.0 guide. prices varied from 8.0 guide to %50 of 8.0 guide. Except one they all are within two grades of 8.0 with most being within one or 8.0 even. So while I do not profess to be able to grade books at all, I did OK on my own.

Now for the other two examples

First a leading dealer

9.2 9.0

8.5 9.0

8.5 7.5

8.5 8.0 restored SP

9.2 8.0

9.2 8.5

9.0 8.0

9.0 8.0

9.0 8.0 restored SP

9.0 9.0

9.2 8.5

9.0 7.5 restored SP

8.5 8.0

9.0 9.0 restored SP

8.0 8.5

9.0 8.0

9.0 8.5

This is why I no longer buy books from this dealer even though they have books I would love to have. With this track record I asked for a CGC screening which I would pay for and if they did not like CGC's grade they did not have to agree to sell me the book for the agreed upon % or multiple of guide based on grade. I am being unreasonable?

Now for the auction house

8.5 8.0

8.5 8.0

9.2 9.0

9.0 7.5

9.0 8.5

8.5 7.0

Close but not close enough where I will buy RAW based on their grading anymore. I guess I will just have to stick to CGC graded books from this auction house.

I would be curious to hear from other collectors as to what their experiences have been like. If you notice, I did not receive one purple label from all my purchases from EBAY and conventions, but from a major dealer, 4 out of 20 books came back restored, confused-smiley-013.gif

i've had too many problems trusting a dealer's grading, because when it comes down to it it's still all subjective. a dealer may view a particular raw copy in a higher light than what it really is in hopes of selling it. unless it's a really good price, i rarely buy raw copies anymore online. i'll just stick with buying graded key books.

Who is the dealer?!?! That is a hideous percentage of PLODS.

I did a very minor test run like this with books from my LCS. They let me cherry pick the books when they buy a collection and their grader is sick and twisted when it comes to Silver here are the results:

Their grade then CGC: TTA 41 7.0 - 9.0

ASM 25 6.0 - 8.0

FF 11 6.0 - GLOD 5.5 (OOPS!!!!)

FF 48 7.5 - 7.5

Hulk 6 5.0 - 5.5

My prognosis: Keep buying from these guys because they are super tough!

Bullet,

first, thank you for posting the results.

Second, would you care elaborating on your pre-conceived grades. I notice all the books you sent were listed as 8.0. Was it because you thought they were all VFs or because you thought they were all at least VFs? That part is confusing.

Third, yikes! The auction house has a clear case of rose-colored glasses sorry.gifflowerred.gif I mean, not a single book was under-graded or even correctly graded! The over-grading is averaging more than half-a-grade.

Fourth, what's the nature of the Resto according to the labels? Is it consistently the same: color touch or this or that or is it whatever it takes to make this particular book better? The dealer's over-grading slightly less, just a tad over a half-grade but still he is as erratic / scattered as the auction house.

Robert, many kudos to you for taking the time to compile this list. I am not a stat type of guy, but even I can appreciate what I am looking at when I read your post.

The missed resto across the board is indeed alarming. But I assume the bulk of it was minor CT? So count me as also curious about what was missed, and who was selling them (sorry, but that is a natural by product of saying you bought books as unrestored, and they were not)

A half, or full grade difference is not that bad considering the amount of books you posted. And lastly, I agree with you.. I too bought some raw books off clink recently. I was dissapointed with what I receieved. And felt foolish for even trying.

As a rule of thumb..if it aint slabbed and is up on an auction house, there is probably a reason

Great idea for a thread, and I look forward to hearing more details as they unfold.

Ze-

how do you guys get that many books graded? i was lead to believe that you can't just send books in to cgc. so how do you do it?

Sure, CGC likes money just like anyone else. Just go to a dealer site that offers 20% discount on submissions, fill out the online form and send the books in. confused-smiley-013.gif

how do you guys get that many books graded? i was lead to believe that you can't just send books in to cgc. so how do you do it?

You need the secret handshake and cypher lock code. Very hard to come by...

Or you need to visit www.cgccomics.com and well, you know... read it. grin.gif

Thanks for compiling the list. It's a bit scary and a bummer if you like to buy in the VF to VF/NM range so you can still carefully read the books and it's seems the only safe way to buy books are slabbed. yeahok.gif