• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Romita Jr. purchasing advice?

26 posts in this topic

I'm not a huge Romita Jr. fan but I figured I could use at least 1 example of his work in my collection. This seems to be one of his better efforts, and it fits my collecting parameters (ie it features Gobby).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=%20230128002605

If "outing" this piece means I lose it then it wasn't meant to be. Is this price in line with Romita Jr's other works? Too high? What would a reasonable offer be? Thanks in advance.

Jim

Hi Jim,

The seller originally had the BIN set to $1,200, which was going for broke. The $800 BIN is high, in my humble opinion, but, not out of line if the right bidder comes along. My gut tells me that a $500 offer would be appropriate, but, that might be more than the seller is willing to discount.

There were some wonderful Romita Spider-Man / Hullk battle pages on eBay recently, but, unfortunately I can't remember exactly what they sold for. I seem to recall that they were in the 800 - 1,200 range, so, again, I don't think the BIN is that far out of line.

You would think that after seven years of collection Spider-Man art that I'd have a handle on it by now - yeah, right ;-}

Good luck if you go after the page!

Best,

I think Jeff had it just about right. I remember pages from that issue selling back on the Artist Choice a few years back. $800 is too high. $500 sounds right for today's market.

The hard thing in today's market is trying to make a reasonable offer to someone that has overpaid for a piece. Not saying that is the case here, but $800 is just too high.

My two cents.

I'm not a big fan of Jr. also, at least his later stuff. But if I was spending $800 I would prefer one of his earlier pages, like the one that just sold on e-bay for a little over $800.

JRJr Spidey page

I'm the total opposite. I look at that older page and don't like it while this one made me say, "woah!"

I love his newer stuff but alas I only collect art with word balloons so I'm hoping to get an Iron Man page eventually from his 2nd run or a Daredevil page.

This page is awesome but I think that price is too high and would be a steal for 500.00 though. I guess it depends on how much you want it. I struggle with that all the time. smile.gif

I agree with Thomas on this too. I like his Thor and Hulk stuff better, but this is a sweet Spidey page. $800 is a bit high, but $500 is a bit low IMO. I'd say $600 to $650 would be about the sweet spot. Very nice page.

Honestly, I like the page better than that cover.

And the page just sold for a $700 offer ...

Given the quality of this page, I don't think that's a bad price at all. The images of both Spidey and the Goblin are very nice.

If I'd seen it sooner I might have pulled the trigger. devil.gif

HI, Guys:

This is my first post here on the CGC art forum and I couldn't believe what I've read from some on this thread in stating that $500 is about right for a half-splash with Gobby from Spec #75. This issue is fairly significant for several reasons:

1. The return of Gobby

2. Great Spidey/Gobby/Spidey Clone battle

3. Death of the Spidey clone, Ben Reilly

I am very familiar with the Romita Jr art market, and I can assure you if I'd seen this at $1K I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat, and that's not just rhetoric.

HI, Guys:

This is my first post here on the CGC art forum and I couldn't believe what I've read from some on this thread in stating that $500 is about right for a half-splash with Gobby from Spec #75. This issue is fairly significant for several reasons:

1. The return of Gobby

I am very familiar with the Romita Jr art market, and I can assure you if I'd seen this at $1K I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat, and that's not just rhetoric.

Is that you, Yoram? If so, welcome to the boards! Thanks for the valuable information, I stand corrected on my original estimate. That said, what do you think my page from that issue is worth:

75SM36.jpg

I haven't looked at the comic in awhile, but, I believe that in the first panel it's the clone being motraly wounded.

Thanks,

HI, Guys:

1. The return of Gobby

It went for $700, so I don't think $500 was too far off the mark. Admittedly, closer to the $800 the seller wanted. At $1000, I'm sure you'll get your chance at some other pages.

HI, Guys:

1. The return of Gobby

Used to like jr.'s work, that's why I liked the page from Amazing 235. But his later work looks rushed to me. Not enough detail, looks like he doesn't care anymore, just pump it out.

And the Goblin, in my world he's dead! And he didn't have sex with Gwen.

The reason you posted isn't because you have a few pages from the book for sale on e-bay right now is it? poke2.gif

Just kidding! Good luck with the sale!

We'll I didn't win it. I put in a $600 offer and waited for two days. I guess he submitted a counter offer of $700 to the 5 guys who put in any offer and I was sleeping still from a hard Friday night at 11:00 AM frown.gif It was one of those pieces that even though I was impressed with the image, not having enough paypal $$$ in my account, it was going to be a huge pain to get the MO from the bank and all that stuff. Just plain laziness on my part. With the summer convention season warming up, I figured if I picked it up, it would try to be at a "steal". Oh well, my fault. I'll live, but still one of the nicer Romita Jr. pieces I've seen in a long time. I have to agree with some of the earlier posters, the actual artwork on that other Ebay page was nicer...as it looks like his fathers work...the content though left much to be desired.

Jim

Okay... I'm not trying to jack someone else's thread, but WHEN DID THE GG HAVE SEX WITH GWEN STACY?!? I've spent the past year since getting back into collecting working on old stuff. Can someone PLEASE tell me this isn't true??? What the *spoon* has been going on since I left???