• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did you start collecting???

When did you start collecting???  

336 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start collecting???

36 posts in this topic

My Dad collected and when I was four in 1976 he gave me some and I learned to read with them.

I stopped in 1991 and concentrated on boozing and University and eventually sold them all.

I started again a couple of years ago.

Two periods:

1) Age 8 - All Star 13 got me hooked. (September 1942)

Collected until about 1950. Sold the collection (switched to Science Fiction pulps)

and took a short break from comics.

2) Age 39 - Started again in the spring of 1983. Been at it ever since. Still missing

a few of the ones I know I had then. The condition of my current copies is, alas,

no where as good as the ones I had then.

I chose 5-10 but I had two periods of collecting.

I didn't start what I consider serious collecting until 1981. I was 13. That's when I really started to take care of what I bought. Before that, I bought and read comics but never bothered to try to preserve them in any way.

I bought a comic here and there prior to age 10. My first collector comic was Star Wars #1 right off the newstand. I was 11 at the time. I bought every issue until #50 then started learning more and focused my efforts on obtaining first issues and first appearances of my favorite characters. I collected until my college years, the last book I remember buying before I stopped was the Robin death books in the late 80's.

I just recently got back in the hobby and look forward to buying and selling.

The first comic I remember reading was Where Monsters Dwell #8 in 1971. I was 8 years old.

I didn't start collecting comics seriously until 1976 at age 13.

Some of the first comics I bought new off the stands and kept were:

Incredible Hulk #197

Marvel Team-Up #44

Marvel Super-Heroes #56

Defenders #29