• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did you start collecting???

When did you start collecting???  

336 members have voted

1. 1. When did you start collecting???

36 posts in this topic

i've been reading comics ever since I learned to read, caught the collecting bug from a lifelong friend that i met in the first grade. when i first visited his house he had a drawer full of comics 893whatthe.gif and it was the older war books, hand-me-downs from his brothers that first caught my attention. it's been a fun ride ever since cloud9.gif

I was not sure what to put.

I first started collecting in 1967 just b4 I turned 12. I stopped by 1970 and age 15.

I restarted with Crisis in late 1985 at age 30 and moved into it in a big way by 1986.

Since I would not have started in '86 with out the earlier foray, it seems that it should be the earlier age.

Started getting some Spideys, Uncle Scrooge, Popeye between 5-10, I collected mainly Archie titles from 15-17 (no LCS so it was all general store stuff), and then when I moved to a city with a LCS (19) I started collecting everything especially super hero and independent tiles.

For me it was more about availability then anything else, I bought what was available to me.

Well, I started when I was around 5 years old- my dad bought some sort of bundle package of comics that included Amazing Spider-Man 267. Being the youngest of 3, I wasn't allowed to own any of the comics. Of course, I still got hooked.

A few years later, I finally decided to start collecting on my own, and not just read all of my brothers' comics. I still have Spectacular Spider-Man 171, and though it's not worth a dime, you can still find it in my long box.

Once high school hit, the comics went away. College came and left, and then I went off into the military. In my last month of service, I found out a mutual was a comic book afficienado. A few hours later of browsing his books, I had to reclaim some of my old books. And a few more. And more. :-D And here I am!

Seriously collecting at 7 years old... always cared about condition and quality as my father was my influence and nutured my love for the hobby.

Quit at 20 during the krappy early 90's drek and foil cover variants flooded the hobby. Returned in April 2006 with a vengence to learn the evolution of the hobby certainly took a spin that I was drawn to.

Another nice thread, Starting reading at 4 or 5, started collecting at 10.

Earl.

That's me too! laugh.gif