• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underground Comix

199 posts in this topic

Cover of the first issue of one of R. Crumbs most well known characters. I think over $50,000 is very likely...

I don't doubt it - although it's not one of his more interesting covers, but the OA market puts a premium on when and where art was published above and beyond the aesthetic merits of a given piece.

I absolutely agree with your statement rjpb.

I would personally rather have an interesting interior page than a more bland cover, and it usually costs a lot less! I will admit though some of Crumb's back covers are gems. My favorite is the back cover to Zap #0. It sums up one of the most traumatic days of my life in 1962.

From the people I have been in contact with over the years, I am of the understanding that there is a much greater "underground comix" presence in Europe now and in the recent past than in the US. Gilbert Shelton's Freak Brothers have been a hit for many years over there. Not only are there many reprints floating around, but also many other licensed & "knock off" products. Gathering & compiling that data would be a major effort, and if done, would make an excellent publication.