• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TPB Recommendations?

44 posts in this topic

Going to be buying a number of TPBs in the next couple days as I'm going to have some downtime on my hands and need some reading material. Got any recommendations? What I'm looking for are done-in-one stories that don't need a lot of backstory to enjoy. I'll probably be giving these away to other non-comic readers so please make your recommendations with that in mind. Need some solid reading and not the same old thing here. Also, I'm pretty familiar with the regular Marvel and DC superhero stories so any outside the norm stuff would be good.

I'll be buying based on your recommendations...and I already have the Walking Dead covered... smirk.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Jonah Hex. The first TPB is all done-in-one stories.

I'd also recommend just about anything in the DC Showcase series.

Hellblazer - All His Engines is great.

A lot of the Vertigo series are great and have a lot of appeal outside of the normal comic buying public - Y-The Last Man (about 4 issues left to go in the series and maybe 8 TPBs total?), Preacher, Transmetropolitan, etc. We3 is a twisted little one shot TPB.

For more superheroics, Kirkman's Invincible is really great, especially the first 3 TPBs. My wife actually loves this book despite hating other super hero books. It has great characterization that sets it apart from the typical book.

Wildstorm's Planetary is a great book and serves as a bit of a retrospective on the comics medium. 26 issues have been released (with the first 18 collected in three TPBs) with the final issue to come out this summer. Really one of the best reads out there!

There's a huge Bone collection that collects the entire fun series. It's very non-comic-reader friendly.

Hope that helps!

-Bob

all the marvel and darkhorse conans

Any of the absolute books

Invincible

wow all stuff i'm selling smile.gif

also

Midnight Nation

Empire (DC)

Wanted

Powers

Deadman (vertigo)

Jim,

I don't know how far back the material can go but looking at my shelves and material you can pass along to non-comic book readers / collectors, consider:

Joe Kubert's Fax from Sarajevo and Joe Sacco's Safe Area, Gorazde

Superman: Secret Identity

Don Rosa's The Life & Time of Uncle Scrooge

Showcase Jonah Hex

Walt & Skeezix Collection

Gotham Central trades

Sandman Mystery Theater trades

My 2¢s.

Usagi Yojimbo.

Nuff Said sumo.gif

Well, you've probably already read the one's on my "reading list" but I'm looking to pick up copies of:

DC Identity Crisis

DC Archives: Batman vol. 1 (for a little "history" refresher:)

Marvel 1602

I'll second most of what's up there. smile.gif

But I'd add: DMZ -- great book, and the first TPB/storyline is great.

Right now I'm reading "DC's Greatest Imaginary Stories" -- lots of great Gold- and Silver-age nonsense like Jimmy Olsen marrying Supergirl, and Superman being killed by a seemingly reformed Lex Luthor. Great for camp value.

Y is 8 TPBs in, and there are about 2 more to come.

The Strangers In Paradise pocket books (1-5, with the 6th to end the series out after the series ends in a couple months) are always great.

I'm loving Fables iin TPB form, but it's not an easy in-and-out title.

For lighthearted stuff, also, you can never go wrong with Groo. smile.gif

Cerebus, Wimbledon Green the World's Greatest Comics Collector, Box Office Poison, Tricked, Top 10, Ivan Brunetti's new collection the name of which I can't recall at the moment, Mouse Guard, and if you can't get away from mainstream heroes, Brubaker's Captain America and All-Star Superman are top notch.

Cerebus, Wimbledon Green the World's Greatest Comics Collector, Box Office Poison, Tricked, Top 10, Ivan Brunetti's new collection the name of which I can't recall at the moment, Mouse Guard, and if you can't get away from mainstream heroes, Brubaker's Captain America and All-Star Superman are top notch.

Wimbledon Green should be required reading for everyone on this board.

Wimbledon Green should be required reading for everyone on this board.

Agreed ... However I don't think that's the first book we should hand out to non-collectors. If they thought we were a little askew before reading that, then they'll be convinced that we are collectively certifiable 27_laughing.gif