• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

finally, my very own flea market find

24 posts in this topic

well, as the title says, out today i find an older guy selling everything you can think of. sees me looking at a few comics he has, asks if i like older books. pulls out a box of about 60 books and a stack of mags. the classic " i dont know anything about them" line but i can have the box for 100 bucks. a quick glance and i see showcase 41, 42, and 43. i agree on the spot. when i get home, i find about 20 showcase between 41 and 90, and a handful of dell four colours creepy and eerie 2 to 10 each! all at least vg/f. im a happy boy. there was a stack of underground books too, anyone know a good web site for value and how to tell the printings on undergrounds?

Nice pickup. thumbsup2.gif

As for Undergounds, the Fogel guide is pretty good. There are some sites that help in identifying 1st prints as well.

heres a list of the undergrounds if anyone can help me out with info on them

spiffy stories #1 1969

fog city comics #2 1978

the legion of charlies # ? 1971

deep 3-d comics #1 1970

snappy sammy smoot # ? 1979

amazon comics # ? 1972

adventures of the little green dinosaur #1 and #2, 1972

cartoon history of the universe #2 1979

dreams of everyman #? 1992

an army of principles #? 1976

crystal night #1 1980

rip off comics #7 1980

mystic funnies #2 1999

Nice find! Maybe I should stop in at Flea Markets? 27_laughing.gif

Most of the time Flea Markets are a bust. But if you are patient and consistently check in, you might be surprised at what turns up. About 3/4 of my collection has come from great Flea Market deals. thumbsup2.gif

Last time I went to the flea market I got fleas, or was that crabs that time and fleas from somewhere else? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
893applaud-thumb.gif

Most of the time Flea Markets are a bust.

Ain't that the truth. I hit a fairly large flea market every year on vacation. Been going there for at least 20 years and never found squat for comics.

Those are precisely UnderGrounds. Those aren't big money UG's though, I think the Spiffy would probably be the most valuable one at around $10-20 at most.

The Spiffy might be worth a little more than that depending on condition, but in VG that's probably close. The rest aren't worth much, although a few are good reading.

Good for you my man!

I lost patience for flea markets very fast in my parts - the only people selling comics are jokers who now ZERO about the actual hobby/market and sell everything close to NM guide prices regardless of title, issue #, and grade. No wonder they have the same books YEAR after YEAR.

These folks dream in technicolor thinking they have a fortune in colored paper. I guess if they knew any better they wouldn't be working in a flea market *sigh*. It's really frustrating to come across some decent comics at prices NO ONE will ever pay. To me that's a real waste - comics in the possession of clueless individuals who could care less about them. My frustration is compounded when they aren't even boarded! Arghhh!

To quote Jason Lee from MALLRATS:"Bag and board the comics you savages!!!!" - disclaimer: quote may be incaccurate.