• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Papers or Grading Comics...

20 posts in this topic

I have an enormous stack of papers to finish grading all and final grades are due in Wednesday. What's worse is many of my students didn't bother to read the directions for this final and their essays all sorts of screwy. Only going to have about 2 "A's" to hand out this semester. Ugh.

Meanwhile, I just got a stack of Amazing Spider-Man issues 302-310 in today from dc360, and have been itching to go through and finely grade them (versus the 10 second eyeball I give all comics when they show up in the mail), catalog them into my database, and then (and most importantly) READ 'EM!

I suppose the grading would be easier if the fridge was stocked with some beer, but alas! I am deficient in that department.

So what are the rest of you out there doing tonight? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Give them all F's! With all of this education inflation going on, I want whatever degree I get to retain at least a shred of value. insane.gif

I'm studying for a math test tonight. Christo_pull_hair.gif

What kind of math? God knows i was aweful in math.

I teach high school English and empathize. I just finished with my seniors taking AP Composition and now have squirrely ninth graders bemoaning their reading in Henry IV, Part 1. Boo *spoon*ing hoo!

Read the comics. You can always fudge the amount of time you spend on the papers by making a few check marks and question marks here and there. Right? devil.gif

Enjoy!

Dan

What's worse is many of my students didn't bother to read the directions

Always reminds me of my 5th grade teacher.

One day he passed out a test and told us to read the whole thing first, then complete the test as fast as possible, and whoever was done first received extra credit. (The last line on the test said "Do not answer any of the questions on this test, just fill in your name and bring it to my desk in 15 minutes.")

Over half the class did not follow the instructions, but set about answering the 100 question pop quiz as fast as possible only to realize at the end all their efforts were pointless.

Those that followed the instructions received an A , those that did not.. an F

I never forgot that lesson, nor the look on his face as he asked us if we were going to follow instructions in the future.

27_laughing.gif

Ze-

Give them all F's! With all of this education inflation going on, I want whatever degree I get to retain at least a shred of value. insane.gif

Any good at English? poke2.giftongue.gif

Drummy- for the love of all that is holy, put those freshmen to work! smile.gif I'm teaching freshmen in college, and it drives my blood pressure through the roof when I see some of the papers they hand in. I don't expect perfection as I know I still make an error here and there- who doesn't? But yeah, definitely need some beer to ease the grading pains.

And Z-, I did this to them already. ONE PERSON got it right in each of my classes. That's right, ONE PERSON! *Head shaking*

If it wasn't already past 9pm, I'd go fix the problem with my fridge....

College Algebra. Math is my weakness, but I am forced to take it because I'm a business major. I took the class last semester but had to drop it. Now I'm trying again. frustrated.gif

Heh, I tried Calculus 3 times before I gave up and just dropped Comp Sci as a minor altogether. boo.gif

College Algebra. Math is my weakness, but I am forced to take it because I'm a business major. I took the class last semester but had to drop it. Now I'm trying again. frustrated.gif

Heh, I tried Calculus 3 times before I gave up and just dropped Comp Sci as a minor altogether. boo.gif

Calc was hard as hell. Only class ever that I really worked my arse off in (did all my assignments, had a tutor, etc..). Got my "passing grade" (D) and my credit, never looked back, and never took another math course.

I teach high school English and empathize. I just finished with my seniors taking AP Composition and now have squirrely ninth graders bemoaning their reading in Henry IV, Part 1. Boo *spoon*ing hoo!

Read the comics. You can always fudge the amount of time you spend on the papers by making a few check marks and question marks here and there. Right? devil.gif

Enjoy!

Dan

Skimming over papers cloud9.gif

I cant say I havent done that a time or two myself

2nd Language :tounge: even though ive living in NC my entire life

Calc was hard as hell. Only class ever that I really worked my arse off in (did all my assignments, had a tutor, etc..). Got my "passing grade" (D) and my credit, never looked back, and never took another math course.

The last time I checked, if a subject had all letters in it, it was called English 893whatthe.gif

You're a teacher confused.gifinsane.gifstooges.gif

You're a teacher confused.gifinsane.gifstooges.gif

acclaim.gif

I still have calc nightmares. Had to suffer thru Calc I and Calc II. I got C's in both classes which really pizzed me off because I had a 3.9 GPA.

I never forgot that lesson, nor the look on his face as he asked us if we were going to follow instructions in the future.

27_laughing.gif

Ze-

Classic! I went to school with Erik Larsen, and he always believed he'd be a comic book artist. In junior high and high school, the teacher would hand him a test and he would just draw all over it - superheroes, his own characters, caricatures of other students and teachers, etc. When the teacher was handing the graded tests back, he or she would always say "sorry, Erik - had to give you an 'F' - but I'd like to keep the art, if you don't mind..?"

27_laughing.gif

Ze-

Classic! I went to school with Erik Larsen, and he always believed he'd be a comic book artist. In junior high and high school, the teacher would hand him a test and he would just draw all over it - superheroes, his own characters, caricatures of other students and teachers, etc. When the teacher was handing the graded tests back, he or she would always say "sorry, Erik - had to give you an 'F' - but I'd like to keep the art, if you don't mind..?"

I remember doodling all over a math test in grade 8 that I didn't study for at all. Threw it in the trash can on my way out at the end of class. My teacher plucked it out....uncrumpled it...and put it on the pile with the rest of the tests. tonofbricks.gif

Well, about 1/3 of the way through the pile. Some of my students saved me the time by not bothering to even hand in the assignment, others by only doing 1/3 to 1/2 of it. Sigh.

And the ASMs have proven to be a great 15 minute break laugh.gif

Don't worry, my freshmen (in high school) learn to write! grin.gif They read The Odyssey, Great Expectations, Henry IV, then write 4-page papers on all of 'em...by the time I'm done with 'em, they know what's up, at least with regard to a 5-paragraph type of essay.

That said, many of them lose skills of they don't keep up with it. And believe me, I'd rather read my books than grade papers written by 14-year-olds.... foreheadslap.gif

Dan