• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What hero characters (OA wise) do you collect...if any?

31 posts in this topic

This may have already made the rounds by previous posts...but it never hurts to refresh ones memory, eh! smile.gif

Some heroes my original art collection focuses on (in no particular order)...

Hawkman

Black Canary

Dr. Fate

Phantom Stranger

Gambit

Adam Warlock (HIM)

Magik

Dr. Strange headbang.gif

The Vision

Stargirl

- Hart

I collect by artist, but one of my goals is to own pages of art from every major book (with that book's major character) that Jack Kirby drew for Marvel. That's gonna take some time.

For Ditko I want to get an ASM and a Doc Strange page. That's also gonna take time (and $$$ tongue.gif )

Marvel Zombies

Silver Samurai

Wolverine

and I'm working on Spider-Man and something cool by Ed McGuinness, Leinil Yu and Humberto Ramos. Wouldn't mind a nice Batman or G.I. Joe page either.

Ideally I'd like to focus my collection around Cosmic Odyssey pages and all of those heroes and villains but I rarely see any for sale or its tremendously overpriced. frown.gif

Character wise other than that would have to be Superman.

I'm with Steve. I collect artists as opposed to characters. Here's a very ambitious list of the artists I hope to have works by some time in the future:

Kirby

Ditko

Eisner

Crandall

Kane

Starlin

Morrow

Jae Lee

Cassady

Angelo

Sketches

Colossus

Captain America

Catwoman

Sin City

OA pages

Newspaper themed (mostly JJJ / Bugle pages)

Western art

Anything with the characters listed above, or by the artists listed below

Artists

Chris Bachalo

Adam Hughes

Steve McNiven

Terry Shoemaker (I'm trying to put one particular sequence together)

Link below laugh.gif

When reflecting on your question, I realize that I've spent months ( and years) looking for just the right piece on several heroes. Not always popular heroes. In fact, usually NOT popular heroes. And, for whatever reason, I'm satisfied when I get a single example of the particular character.

I wanted a Battle Girlz cover from Rod Espinosa. Thanks to Rod, the cover I wanted is mine. Wanted one specific Ninja High School cover from Ben Dunn. An older cover that I'd seen at auction...just once. Finally, it resurfaced -- and I got it cheap. Loved one of the covers of I Battle Monsters (by Babiar) and adored a Babiar Warrior Nun cover. Managed to get 'em both -- primarily because Antarctic Press only seems to get love from me and Mike/Mr Not-So-Nice.

I loved Gun Fu and wanted a Cheng Bo Sen cover. Again, not a major/popular character but I loved the Joey Mason artwork. Despite a lack of popularity, the cover was pricey, anyway. I don't regret it one bit. One of my favorite covers; absolutely great.

I enjoyed the Powerpuff Girls cartoons and started looking for a Mojo Jojo cover or splash. Hugo Brache (Artguy) helped me there. The best MJ splash EVER.

Six other people and me loved Giffen's Trencher. I wanted a cover or splash. That one took awhile to find. My wife just gets a funny look on her face everytime she sees it. She also gets a bemused look when she sees the ultra-muscular Prime splash that Breyfogle sold me. Breyfogle did Prime better than anybody.

There isn't a lot of adoration for the (nearly forgotten) Charm School -- but I'm a big fan. I'd love the cover for the very first issue. Elizabeth Watasin won't part with it...but she did let me get the artwork to issue 3.

Mainstream, I enjoyed Mutant X (didn't get my favorite cover but got a good 'un, anyway) and I really, really wanted a Liefeld Cable cover or splash from his glory years -- yeah, you heard me. I paid good money for an early Liefeld Cable splash...and I did so happily. And I'd happily do it again.

My absolutely favorite character is the Angel from X-Men but I've not yet found the right Angel piece despite years of looking. I'd still like a good Spider-Man splash or cover; and a good Wonder Woman splash or cover. I've seen good ones, too, but nothing that my bank account can begin to support.

It took two years but I finally found a Lobo cover that I really, really liked. Now, I've just got to finish paying for it.

Thanks for asking.

The main characters I collect are:

Silver Surfer

Captain Marvel (Marvel comics 70s version)

Jack of Hearts

Hulk

There are a ton of other characters I like and collect but right now those 4 are my main focus.

There are quite a few since I am looking for nice examples as well as pieces with sentimental value. That being said there are two series that I am always looking for covers from; namely Power Pack and Strikeforce Morituri.

I do many major Marvel heroes from the late '70's --

S. Buscema Hulk

Perez/Byrne/Buscema Avengers

J. Buscema Thor

Kirby and Buscema Cap

Andru/Romita Spidey

Perez FF

Infantino/Colan DD

Tuska Iron Man

S. Buscema Defenders & Nova

Tuska/Byrne Champions

S. Buscema Marvel Team-Up

and others...

Lots to pick from!

Dan

The Mighty Thor!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thank heaven he's finally coming back. It's been a ridiculously long time without him in the Marvel Universe.

I have examples of a few other heroes, but my main emphasis is on Thor.