• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: looking for an arcade cabinet

33 posts in this topic

I know it's way off topic, but I figure there have to be a decent number of comic collectors interested in arcade games and vice-versa. I'm looking for a cheap, gutted (don't need the screen, controls, or gameboards) arcade cabinet to start a MAME project, but I'm not having much success finding what I want. I live in the DFW area, so it would have to be within a few hours of there since shipping such a thing is out of the question. If anyone has any leads, then let me know. Thanks thumbsup2.gif

edit: I will be playing lots of comic-themed games on it...does that make it comic related? grin.gif

I know it's way off topic, but I figure there have to be a decent number of comic collectors interested in arcade games and vice-versa. I'm looking for a cheap, gutted (don't need the screen, controls, or gameboards) arcade cabinet to start a MAME project, but I'm not having much success finding what I want. I live in the DFW area, so it would have to be within a few hours of there since shipping such a thing is out of the question. If anyone has any leads, then let me know. Thanks thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I have a working MAME cabinet. Plays everything from 1980 on, two player. Am looking to get rid of it, but I am too far away.

I have a working MAME cabinet. Plays everything from 1980 on, two player. Am looking to get rid of it, but I am too far away.

That's cool. I've seen several for sale around here, but I already have a computer and screen collecting dust here, so I don't want to buy a cabinet with those things already in it. Besides...building it myself will be way more fun.

foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

trout.gif

Here's a massive list of arcade games for sale. Some, like the $100 one, are for broken arcade games with usable cabinets (I assume).

http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=arcade

I'd contact this guy since he probably has some broken ones:

Will buy your old and broken arcade video games

Reply to: sale-334319771@craigslist.org

Date: 2007-05-19, 4:17PM CDT

Looking to buy old and broken arcade video games. Projects fine. Complete games preferred. Non-working ok. Nothing water damaged or hacked up.

Please send list and desired prices and photos if possible. Will pick up and pay you cash if we land a deal.

Here's a massive list of arcade games for sale. Some, like the $100 one, are for broken arcade games with usable cabinets (I assume).

http://dallas.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=arcade

I'd contact this guy since he probably has some broken ones:

Will buy your old and broken arcade video games

Reply to: sale-334319771@craigslist.org

Date: 2007-05-19, 4:17PM CDT

Looking to buy old and broken arcade video games. Projects fine. Complete games preferred. Non-working ok. Nothing water damaged or hacked up.

Please send list and desired prices and photos if possible. Will pick up and pay you cash if we land a deal.

Thanks...I actually emailed that guy earlier this morning, but I'm still awaiting a reply. I've found a couple on craig's list that are in my price range, but the cabinet style wouldn't work for me.

How much are you willing to spend? Building it from scratch would cost well over $100 just for the 3/4" plywood. Driving 3 hours each way would also probably be about $100 in gas.

http://cmdrtaco.net/jubei/

Whatdya know...I already came across that cabinet a couple days ago while looking at what other ppl had done and really liked it. I can spend at most $200 for an empty cabinet if it's exactly what I want and in good condition. I lack the woodworking skills and equipment to build a cabinet from scratch, but I can handle modifying an existing one. I found a guy who said he has an emmaculate midway "war" cabinet and is asking $200. Do you know if he's talking about this type of cabinet?

http://www.klov.com/images/M/cMortal_Kombat_3.jpg

I hope that's what he's talking about because that's the style of cabinet I'd really like to get since the screen isn't too tilted and the stock control panel has decent surface area. He's only an hour away too and right near my gf's parent's house where I go a lot anyways. Hopefully I can get him below $200 though...

edit: I recently joined the BYOAC forum too if you're on there.

I'm hoping to get a MAME cabinet with all of the professional controls, Gardner monitor/etc. once my comic collecting dies down. 27_laughing.gif

H.A. Franz & Co. is a distributor of coin-operated Arcade Games, Vending Equipment, Foosball Tables, Jukeboxes, Pinball Games, Pool Tables, Redemption Equipment, Changers,Kits,Parts and Service covering Texas and Oklahoma with offices in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.

http://www.hafranz.com/

MAME is a freely available executable that allows emulation of coin-op arcade games that runs on various popular operating systems.. Finding the ROMs of the games is a little more difficult. What these guys are talking about is simply building an arcade experience with professional monitors, controls, and cabinet that would house the PC.

Here's a pic of my cab. Got the cab for $50. Threw an old 600 Mhz Dell with 128 RAM in there. Did a hella lot of wiring inside. Bought new controls and a device to allow buttons to interface via serial. Fun winter project from a couple of years ago. Biggest problem was getting the video card to recognize a 20+ year old arcade display properly.

5y9g2vo.jpg

4uj3ofm.jpg

Wow! THat's awesome BLowup the moon!

Are the comics characters stickers?

Really neat cab.

The comic characters are something I threw together in Photoshop and printed on glossy.

I always wanted an arcade game then got serious about finding a Qix game. Remember Qix?

qix.jpg

Anyway, discovered MAME, picked up a cab, and now can play practically every game ever made.

joust2.png

Silly control wiring...

4tf5gnd.jpg

Well everybody...I bought a cabinet that's exactly the style I want! It's in excellent condition (I'd give it a 9.6 tongue.gif ). It looks like this:

1065803398.jpg

Everything is included except the monitor (I'm going to put a 27" tv in it though anyways). So I get all the original controls (which will be replaced), powersupply, art and lighting, coin mechs...everything but the screen. I'll probably just leave the old side art and stuff on there at first and get it up and running. I can do custom art and marquee later once I have a functional cabinet. I bought it yesterday, but didn't bring it home due to rain. The guy I bought it from still needs to remove the screen I didn't buy and clean it up for me anyways (lots of dust on the outside). I should have it home sometime this week and then I can figure out my control layout and start ordering parts thumbsup2.gif