• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A tricky one...Hawkman #1

20 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, it's a 5.0. A little harsh I thought, but then I don't have much experience with CGC books and how they grade higher grade books with a single major defect like a staple pull.

It doesn't bother me too much, it's a beautiful book.

crack it, remove the staple and tuck the cover under the staple and refold the staple. CGC doesn't consider it restoration.

What if, in the process of doing that, the staple breaks?

crack it, remove the staple and tuck the cover under the staple and refold the staple. CGC doesn't consider it restoration.

What if, in the process of doing that, the staple breaks?

Good point.

Is this really a legit thing to try?

I was just looking through the Third Ed. of the Overstreet Grading Guide, and noticed that it says that you can replace staples on any grade up to Fine, and you can even replace them up to NM if you use "vintage" staples. That's surprising.

I guess if the staple breaks you just dig out a beat up issue of something contemporary and pirate one of its staples.

I think if I ever tried that I'd practice on a book I wasn't attached to. I could see myself screwing up the paper around the staple...

I was wondering about staple replacement as well. The TTA #27 I posted recently, though a low grade book, has VERY clean staples. I looked at them under a loop and couldn't see any indication that they'd been removed and/or replaced. No sign of any rust. Anyway, I too read that info in the Overstreet Grading Guide. Does CGC notate staple replacement? I ask because of batman_fan's comment stating that they don't consider it restoration. Beyond that, staple pull or no, nice looking copy of Hawkman #1.

Unfortunately, it's a 5.0. A little harsh I thought, but then I don't have much experience with CGC books and how they grade higher grade books with a single major defect like a staple pull.

one of the many areas of grading that has always had me perplexed.

i've had three nice SA DC's come back with "pulled staple" and each of those got a qualified green label with a grade in the 8.0 - 8.5 range. my sense has been that if the book is of a high enough grade otherwise, they give the qualified label and grade ,due to the staple pop. if midgrade (for example) they would count the staple pull as a major defect and downgrade the book accordingly with a blue label.

i've always been somewhat cold to this approach and am not sure which makes the most sense. (although i've always leaned towards eliminating the qualified label approach).

would be very interested to hear what Divad or others think about this.........(FFB was the one that i thought had the best handle on this and he's "away" for a while.........) frown.gif

CGC probably got it right. The book doesn't appear to be in a high enough overall grade to receive a Qualified grade due to the staple pop. Factoring in a 2 point deduction for a staple pop and keeping the Blue label, for an otherwise 7.0 copy sounds about right. It serves justice to the book, the present owner, and the possible buyer of the book. A Qualified Green label 7.0 might sound better on paper, but in the marketplace a nice looking Blue label 5.0 is probably going to yield a higher price. grin.gif

one of the many areas of grading that has always had me perplexed.

i've had three nice SA DC's come back with "pulled staple" and each of those got a qualified green label with a grade in the 8.0 - 8.5 range. my sense has been that if the book is of a high enough grade otherwise, they give the qualified label and grade ,due to the staple pop. if midgrade (for example) they would count the staple pull as a major defect and downgrade the book accordingly with a blue label.

i've always been somewhat cold to this approach and am not sure which makes the most sense. (although i've always leaned towards eliminating the qualified label approach).

A reluctant . . . but accurate analysis. wink.gifhi.gif