• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No More Grades, Just BIG NUMBERS!

635 posts in this topic

Lighthouse, your Devil's Advocate post was great. Okay, Dexter is now a loose grader. He buys another CGC'd book that is touted as NM, and it's an 8.5. It's not as nice as his 9.2, but it's close enough to what he considers NM to be fine. Then suddenly -- uh oh! Dexter has to unload his collection due to financial problems. Confidently, he begins listing his raw books using the grading system he's now had professionally corroborated. In this forum, Dexter's auctions are posted and laughed at. "Someone get these creeps who can't grade off of ebay!" says the person who started the thread, and mass grumbles of agreement and jabs at Dexter follow. Dexter commits suicide.

I'm left with these question: why remove somthing that was helpful to a lot people, buyer and seller alike? Why widen the gulf between CGC books and raw? Why open the door for even more misrepresentation on ebay? (There is a high probability that there are going to be a lot of sellers 'assigning' alphas to those numbers that have no basis in reality.) And finally: CGC are graders, so why remove the grade? There is more on the label than just a grade, but when it comes down to it, the most important thing on that label -- the reason you pay big money to get them encapsulated -- is the grade they assign. CGC's 9.2 stands for NM-. NM- stands for NM-. Leave the number on the label for databases and those people who like numbers. Leave the grade on there for people who want to know the grade!!!

You know what the worst thing about being home-schooled was??.. Sex Education,...we didn't get those high budget films like you kids at public school did,...me and my brother had to settle for grainy 8mm reels of our parents pointing out their genitals....sure they blacked out their faces,...but you knew it was them just the same....God I hated my childhood.

J.D.

Sex Ed? What is that? And they show films? Cool... like what, stag films?

Kev

I took a language test once and scored the only 100% in the test's history

I find your description of what you scored on your language test to be extremely confusing. What does 100% translate to? A+, A++, or just A? You'll have to forgive me, but I have trouble thinking about things like that in terms of numbers. tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I feel this thread taking a sudden turn for the worse... crazy.gif

27_laughing.gifWORSE? Oh I don't think we need to worry about that at this point. There was nothing worthwhile posted here after the second page. Is not! Is to! Is not! Is to! Not a single mind was changed and no one learned a thing. Totally worthless.

OK. Starting now, I'm not gonna' read this thread anymore. This time I mean it! mad.gif

27_laughing.gifWORSE? Oh I don't think we need to worry about that at this point. There was nothing worthwhile posted here after the second page. Is not! Is to! Is not! Is to! Not a single mind was changed and no one learned a thing. Totally worthless.

OK. Starting now, I'm not gonna' read this thread anymore. This time I mean it! mad.gif

ninanina sucks.... smirk.gif

Anybody want a peanut?

Ahh...good times...good times... :whee:

I've never seen so many people agree with JC.

:o

From my understanding, the entire reason CGC came about into existence was because internet sales were growing and the market was ripe for there to be an independent grading company to level the playing field a little (ie. find hidden resto, tighten up loose grades, etc).

My understanding is that the changing of the size of the CGC grade was primarily because the big number on the left was easier to see in the scans on internet websites/eBay than the small number/writing.

Dropping the alpha designation is pretty much irrelevant since most people knew the correlation and by now, all collectors do. It's just cleans up the label and leaves room for more info about the book (greggy got it right from the get go).

Pretty self explanatory if you ask me. If there is a void, somebody is eventually going to fill it. In this case it just happened to be CGC.

Ahh...good times...good times... :whee:

I've never seen so many people agree with JC.

:o

From my understanding, the entire reason CGC came about into existence was because internet sales were growing and the market was ripe for there to be an independent grading company to level the playing field a little (ie. find hidden resto, tighten up loose grades, etc).

Not quite. A grading company had been discussed way back in the very early 90's, before anyone but the gov't and educational institutions knew about the "internet."

Keith Contarino can be found discussing it in the Overstreet Update columns from 1991. It was a natural outgrowth of the coin grading that had been extremely successful to that point.