• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My visit to Geppi's Museum of Entertainment

27 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Let me just say that my fiancee is the greatest. This past thursday was my birthday and Emily tells me that she has a surprise weekend getaway planned. We have spent nearly every weekend this year planning our pending wedding and have not had the chance to really get away and relax. So she tells me that she has this little secret trip planned. I didn't know what to expect but never imagined this. I was very surprised to find ourselves arriving in Baltimore. And even more surprised when, after checking in at the Inn at Henderson's Wharf in Fells Point, she brought me here. Geppi's Entertainment museum.... I'm a very lucky guy.

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

Emily is not into collecting,knows only a little about comics, and had only heard of when i mentioned it once when it opened.

Here are a few pics of my time there.....

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

The most amazing room i've ever seen....

IMG_1157.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1168.jpg

Some amazing books.....

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

cloud9.gif

IMG_1166.jpg

me and the big guy...

IMG_1174.jpg

The museum was breathtaking. I coul'dve spent all day in the "Four Colors" room but we had tickets to a game at Camden Yards. Anyone who has not gone to this museum must go. I absolutely loved it 893applaud-thumb.gif

IMG_1160.jpg

What significance do the stamps on these books have?

R.

Methinks they are copyright stamps... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They look like copies used in the lawsuit against Fawcett. That might explain the reference to exhibit number if they were presented as evidence.

They are filed in the year 1939.

a) that is really cool

b) too early for SOTI

anyone have any dates regarding copyright files or lawsuits against Fawcett?

Whatever they are, those have got to be the coolest Action #1 and #2 just for that very reason. Important file copies of some sort.

hail.gif

I'm a very lucky guy.

Wow! What a story and great pics! 893applaud-thumb.gif Methinks it's your turn to reciprocate with your own secret trip for you two...destination: somewhere in the Caribbean thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, she is the best. Well, it's not a secret but I'm taking us to Italy and Switzerland for two weeks for our honeymoon. thumbsup2.gif

Probably too early for the Fawcett lawsuit. I'm thinking they were exhibits in the lawsuit against Fox Publications for their Wonder Man character in Wonder Comics #1 in 1939.

You are correct sir! I owned three of the issues from the evidence set as well. The first 12 issues were submitted at the trial.

That place looks very cool. All those incredibly valuable comics on display like that makes me wonder...I know it is not like they are sitting in the sun or anything, but still... the exhibit lights can't be helping their state of preservation...won't they fade? confused-smiley-013.gif

Probably too early for the Fawcett lawsuit. I'm thinking they were exhibits in the lawsuit against Fox Publications for their Wonder Man character in Wonder Comics #1 in 1939.

Correct, that is what they were used for.

All of the exhibits were for obvious reasons designed with museum-level concerns taken into account, including the kind and intensity of light used to illuminate objects as well as all materials used in their display, with the aim of preserving them for the long term and preventing anything but the most miniscule damage. We had museum professionals involved in every aspect of the design, so nothing was left to chance in caring for the items on display.

i work for the getty museum, and we have all our paintings out in the open, but sunlight is kept off the works (at least directly). actual artwork (pencil,etc) is under even lower light than the paintings. as i stated, anything we have under glass is protected by uv blockers.

for now, i'll assume it's the same for geppi, but i'll let someone who works there say for sure.