• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with a choice

50 posts in this topic

Aqueous cover cleaning is one of the few types of restoration that would keep me from buying a book. Changes the feel of the paper. I loathe it.

Color touch, piece replacement, tear seals, I can handle any of that, priced accordingly. But cover cleaning and/or page whitening? No sale.

I am gonna buy one of these off of metropolis but I can't decide which one I want more...im gonna post pictures of all three and what they are priced at and I would like some opinons...Thanks!!! flowerred.gif

NA30.jpg

$1000 Graded 6.0 w/ white pages (graded by metro)

The Adventure is the cherry of the 3 books....because it is Adventure. The Jumbo's are nice, but not as main stream / in demand. The Adventure is also raw....that let's you have an immediate upside if you send it to CGC, and it comes back certified as Fine/unrestored/white pages....or even close will still put you ahead of what you paid, and give you a little project to look forward to. Buying graded books is boring.....what fun is that?

PS --- cleaning is restoration/restoration-ish...it's a nice looking book "as is".

.....let us know what you decide. thumbsup2.gif

Steve

Aqueous cover cleaning is one of the few types of restoration that would keep me from buying a book. Changes the feel of the paper. I loathe it.

Color touch, piece replacement, tear seals, I can handle any of that, priced accordingly. But cover cleaning and/or page whitening? No sale.

Many years ago I was visiting a friend who was showing me an Action #1 he had acquired. The pages felt odd so I asked if it had been restored and he said, yes. I didn't delve any further because I assumed it had been pressed. But maybe it had been cleaned?

Whatever had been done to it, I didn't like it. It felt artificial.

Given your stated interest in both Adventure Comics AND Jumbo, I'd still recommend the better conditioned Jumbos over the lower graded Adventure.

Of course you may have a different opinion, so go with that. confused.gif

Decisions, decisions, decisions. It's so complicated. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yeahok.gif

What the heck, I'm going to buck the trend. I love the Jumbo #18 cover. The figures are bigger and more dynamic than on the #13...and Sheena is hotter!...and the electric color strike (always a weakness of mine smile.gif) and higher grade are bonuses too.

But knowing that you're an avid early Adventure collector, I'd think the Adventure would be the clear choice for you. If not that, then pass on all three and wait until a book you really can't live without presents itself. thumbsup2.gif

I liked the 18 for the same reason. Generally I would pick an Eisner cover but I don't the 13 is particularly strong effort. Second choice would be the New Adv -- would be first if it was a fresher looking fine.

Based on the responses posted here it looks like you'll get fans of each -- which I guess means you should buy all three. wink.gif

and the electric color strike

It's from the scanner, not the book. You can always tell by looking at the color of the label. On that one, the label is a way brighter blue than it would be in-hand. The book's colors will be duller than they appear. I learned this the hard way.

I hate it when dealers don't adjust the brightness of their scans to reflect reality. 893censored-thumb.gif

That should be a normal glossy cover with nice colors -- which would be typical of this issue and the ones printed close to it. The scan might be amped a bit but you can call and confirm the look of the book with Metro.

NA30.jpg

I think we have a winner!!!! yay.gif Thanks for all the help....i was leaning towards the NA 30 to begin with and your opinons pushed...or should I say shoved me over the edge. Flessel's the man thumbsup2.gif

I might end up waiting to see if anything in the heritage auction catches my eye...if not then NA 30 here I come.

Ronaldo

I think we have a winner!!!! yay.gif Thanks for all the help....i was leaning towards the NA 30 to begin with and your opinons pushed...or should I say shoved me over the edge. Flessel's the man thumbsup2.gif

Ronaldo

Good call, Renaldo! I was waiting for your answer. Just got me two new Jumbos.

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ronaldo

Rich, are you bragging about nailing fat chicks, or did you get two new comics?

Ronaldo

oh oh...you better watch out Schomy ,I see the cost of those caps rising, bedrock's better half , frequents the boards, I am told...even posts now and again....

gator

Ronaldo

acclaim.gif

Nice thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Which ones you get confused-smiley-013.gif

Ronaldo

27_laughing.gif Maybe both! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ronaldo

oh oh...you better watch out Schomy ,I see the cost of those caps rising, bedrock's better half , frequents the boards, I am told...even posts now and again....

gator

I have it on good authority that MrBedrock likes the Jumbos.

Sing it with me ...

"The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'

That's what MrBedrock said

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand

Or so we have read

His Jumbo baby fits him like a flesh tuxedo

He'd like to sink her with his pink torpedo

Jumbo bottoms, Jumbo bottoms

Talk about bum cakes, MrBedrock’s girl's got 'em

Jumbo bottoms drive him out of his mind

How could he leave that Jumbo behind?

He met her on Monday, twas his lucky bun day

You know what I mean

He loves her each weekday, each velvety cheek day

You know what I mean

His love gun's loaded and she's in his sights

Jumbo game is waiting there inside her tights, yeah

Talk about mud flaps, MrBedrock’s girl's got 'em

How could he leave that Jumbo behind?"

I have it on good authority that MrBedrock likes the Jumbos.

Sing it with me ...

"The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'

That's what MrBedrock said

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand

Or so we have read

His Jumbo baby fits him like a flesh tuxedo

He'd like to sink her with his pink torpedo

Talk about bum cakes, MrBedrock’s girl's got 'em

How could he leave that Jumbo behind?

He met her on Monday, twas his lucky bun day

You know what I mean

He loves her each weekday, each velvety cheek day

You know what I mean

His love gun's loaded and she's in his sights

Jumbo game is waiting there inside her tights, yeah

Talk about mud flaps, MrBedrock’s girl's got 'em

How could he leave that Jumbo behind?"

catchy tune!

893applaud-thumb.gif

gator

Ronaldo

I was actually talking about lunch. Hotdogs! But I couldn't respond because I've been in the library for the last little bit!