• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth Getting Graded? (Printing Defects)

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have an odd book that I'm debating getting graded at Wizard World Philly.

It's a copy of Fantastic Four #542, the Civil War issue with Johnny Storm on the cover.

The odd thing about it is that when printed it was stapled with 2 parts of the last half of the book. So there's no beginning. It has the end of the book repeated twice.

So it's a printing defect... Just don't know if it's worth getting graded just because it's an oddity.

I've already decided to get a copy of Superman/Batman #27 I have with a double cover graded.

There's another book I have with a weird defect. It's an issue of Firestorm where one page was folded over when the book was put together, so it missed the staples so the page just sits in the book out of order... I never even considered having the one graded.

The funny thing is, my LCS always gets these defects. Their entire orders of FF and Firestorm had the same defects. Marvel never replaced the FF either... said it was sold out.

I think I got the only double cover of Superman/Batman that came in, and I didn't know it until I went to read the book...

So what do you guys think? Should I get the FF book graded or is it a waste to get a label that says it's incomplete?

General rule, any printing defects does not add to the value of a book. It's just not like collecting stamps or coins, where a defect adds to the value. So, in my opinion, it would not be worth getting graded.

Ummmm....with apologies. crazy.gif

General rule, any printing defects does not add to the value of a book. It's just not like collecting stamps or coins, where a defect adds to the value. So, in my opinion, it would not be worth getting graded.

Nah, I saw printing defects at least double the price.

So, a book that would otherwise sell for $0.50 should be worth at least $1 if it's all screwy like that.

thumbsup2.gif

There is niche market for these kind of oddities but slabbing would not add much of value to that market-especially on a modern comic. I doubt you would even get back the grading fees, etc. IMHO.

Not true acorss the board. Double covers, foil books missing the foil (Black Venom, Bloodshot, Bone Wolverine... ha, I just said Bone Wolverine)... there are many types of defects that being a premium.