• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've had it with Ebay!!

74 posts in this topic

Buyer's ID kept private would have been a red flag for me.

Righto. Private auctions are about the biggest red flag possible. I also collect autographs, and private auction in that area almost always means fakes.

Get a refund if at all possible. You dropped 5 bills on a bunch of $5 VGs. frown.gif

Yeah, that lot isn't worth anywhere near $500. frown.gif

Yeah thats what sucks about it, for 500.00 I was expecting a damn nice run.

I have become fairly adept at scoring silver DC lots with small pics - there are quite a few out there. The main thing is the price though (ain't it always?) I've gotten some cherries and some stinkers alike. I know you don't want to hear it, but I never would have dropped $500 on that lot - whenever you have the small pics, you have to weigh the auction like you were at a gambling table (at least that is how I approach it after 9 years of dealing with the sporadic grading on Ebay). If the pics are small, and especially if the value is so weighted on one book (the 171 in this case), you have to gamble that they are mostly vg's and not vf's. If you could win that lot for $150 - then go for it - you might get a pleasant surprise, like the 171 is a F+ or better. But your downside is only that you paid $3-4 per book for a run of glossy vg's.

You can usually tell if the books are totally beat from the small pics (ie - not glossy or really poor spines) but you cannot tell the defects that separate the vg's from the f's & vf's. I bought a run described as good to fine where half the books g to vg and half were from Fine to VF/NM - the lot was worth ten times what I paid for it - and have also bought a few where I got what I got smile.gif

Those books look glossy & have decent spines from the pics - but you cannot tell about color breaking creases & closed tears/spine tears that would keep them out of higher grades 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The picture of the stack of books would had me running from that auction. But you can't do anything about that now. Good luck and hopefully he will allow the return of the books. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

problem is, he'll add up the VG price in OPG on those books and still tell you you paid less than guide, right? (What is the lot in VG? -- though most seem better than a VG, particularly the later issues)

When I see F+ to VF+ I assume he's saying F+ and wishes he had some VF+. And then I'd assume a one point overgrade. Had you viewed this as a VG+ lot, you'd be less unhappy.

1/2 of the ebay sellers can't grade, the other 1/2 can't tell the truth confused-smiley-013.gif

That is pure BS - you just have to find the good dealers and stick with them. I wouldn't have found this board without my eBay connections of respected dealers. There are plenty of eBay sellers who grade just fine and do tell the truth. Many, many here sell on eBay. Conversely, several here can't grade their way out of wet paper bag. Buy small at first then go for what you know - you can't go very far wrong.

That being said, this board is generally much safer than eBay, but if you limit yourself to here, your missing out on tons of great stuff. Which is just fine - I don't need the competition.

That being said, this board is generally much safer than eBay, but if you limit yourself to here, your missing out on tons of great stuff. Which is just fine - I don't need the competition.

I think it just depends on your experience as to if you think the glass is "half empty" or "half full". Most of the people I purchase from eBay I can count on my two hands. For a lot of people who purchase raw on eBay, it wouldn't be a stretch to call it gambling.

That said...we tend to complain about the poor sellers but never give praise to those that do. And for good reason....we don't need to share the "secret sauce"! wink.gif

I think it just depends on your experience as to if you think the glass is "half empty" or "half full". Most of the people I purchase from eBay I can count on my two hands. For a lot of people who purchase raw on eBay, it wouldn't be a stretch to call it gambling.

That said...we tend to complain about the poor sellers but never give praise to those that do. And for good reason....we don't need to share the "secret sauce"! wink.gif

Yeah - but since most here sell on eBay, which of us are liars, and which of us can't grade??? confused-smiley-013.gif Which one are you? Which one am I? Which are both? I think a lot of people here confuse CGC "grading", which they think they know, and which is not defined, with the rest of the world. I have *spoon* y weeks on eBay, and *spoon* y weeks here. I purchase *spoon* y books that are CGC "guaranteed". The original statement is offensive, which is maybe why it was ignored by the posters here. Grading is an art, not a science. No one is perfect - you need to start cheap with unknown dealers, and get comfortable with who you dealing with - that's common sense.

Just because some attic-cleaning widow is trying to unload her deceased husband's "treasure" on eBay doesn't make her either a crappy grader or a scam artist. Use some common sense in your dealings, and realize there is no free lunch.

I didn't take his statement at face value...as I'm sure he and others would agree that categorically eBay has value...and everyone has had a bay collecting day anywhere. Probably a little strong--yes. But "buyer beware" will never steer you wrong. wink.gif

I agree though...common sense "should" prevail...but sometimes collectors ignore that to take unnecessary risks. Some are risk averse. Some balance that risk. And some just don't know what the *spoon* they are doing.

Did you pay with CC through paypal?

If so, and the guy doesn't want to fess up, do a chargeback confused-smiley-013.gif I've never had to do one myself, so I can't tell you what to do, but I am sure there are many on here who could.

Just a thought...

John thumbsup2.gif

I paid through Paypal, but not with a CC, which sucks. Now I only have Paypal to back me, and not a CC company.

You've probably already figured this out now, but always pay with a CC when doing transactions with the unknown - that way you have some ooomph when deals go sour. makepoint.gif

If so, and the guy doesn't want to fess up, do a chargeback confused-smiley-013.gif I've never had to do one myself, so I can't tell you what to do, but I am sure there are many on here who could.

Just a thought...

John thumbsup2.gif

I paid through Paypal, but not with a CC, which sucks. Now I only have Paypal to back me, and not a CC company.

You've probably already figured this out now, but always pay with a CC when doing transactions with the unknown - that way you have some ooomph when deals go sour. makepoint.gif

Yeah, I know, I just hate using credit cards for the most part.

I got a response from the guy, saying he will work something out with me.

I added the total of all the books up, in their appropriate condition, and the book value for them is 601.00 in the condition they ARE in.

That being said, I didn't overpay for the lot, however, I could have pieced this run together a LOT cheaper than 500.00.

He has offered me a full refund, a partial refund, or more books, my choice as to how I would like to resolve the matter.

At least he is honest, and trying to work it out, although I have not decided which way I am going to go yet.

Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like I am just dealing with a guy who is not really sure how to grade properly, but is TRYING to make it right, and TRYING to be accurate.

I didn't take his statement at face value...as I'm sure he and others would agree that categorically eBay has value...and everyone has had a bay collecting day anywhere. Probably a little strong--yes. But "buyer beware" will never steer you wrong. wink.gif

I agree though...common sense "should" prevail...but sometimes collectors ignore that to take unnecessary risks. Some are risk averse. Some balance that risk. And some just don't know what the *spoon* they are doing.

You're right, I'm drunk beerchug.gif

I get over-reactive when folks rag on eBay as if it has no value - I think eBay revolutionized the collecting world. Sure there are many faults with eBay, but many of the faults are exacerbated by our own damn greed, not anything that the clueless seller has done. We should recognize those sellers for what they are, and use a little common sense.

problem is, he'll add up the VG price in OPG on those books and still tell you you paid less than guide, right? (What is the lot in VG? -- though most seem better than a VG, particularly the later issues)

When I see F+ to VF+ I assume he's saying F+ and wishes he had some VF+. And then I'd assume a one point overgrade. Had you viewed this as a VG+ lot, you'd be less unhappy.

That happened to me recently and I find most crappy e-bay sellers fall back on the OSPG value and tell you how good of a deal you got even though their books aren't graded properly. I recently bought four VF/NM BA GI Combat books that had sub creases, corner creases and lots of spine stress. To top it off the books weren't packaged properly and Canada Post added more flaws. I usually never bother complaining and figure it isn't worth the hassle and my own fault for buying off some seller I don't know and these were poor pictures.

Someone convinced me to write a polite e-mail explaining the situation and the Overstreet guidelines for VF/NM and the bad packaging and I asked only for around eight to ten dollar partial refund. The seller then accuses me of trying to con him and wanting free books and then the usual quote of the VF/NM OSPG value and how great of a deal I got.

That IS my LAST purchase from any e-bay seller I don't know. I know there are lots of honest e-bay sellers but the trick is finding them and I feel it's too much of a gamble. For a hobby that's supposed to be fun e-bay sure adds it's share of frustrations for the average buyer of raw books. sign-rantpost.gif The seller's ID is "Zorbazz" so hopefully you can avoid this fool.

He has offered me a full refund, a partial refund, or more books, my choice as to how I would like to resolve the matter.

A little advice from eBay experience - be careful with the method and madness if you decide to ship the books back for a full refund. I returned about $140 worth of heavily overgraded Doom Patrol books back to groundzerocomics, Grass Valley, California, Shane Deadman, around six years ago. Ultimately, I was out the $140 and the books, because I never got the refund. groundzerocomics disappeared from eBay, and never responded to emails or letters. My only satisfaction is my elephantine memory, and my opportunity to bad-mouth them to other collectors.

linky

In retrospect, I should have kept the books, as I made a bad situation worse by shipping them back. And of course, new to eBay, I used paypal cash.

Sadly, I had dealt with them before, and still have a couple of nice books in my collection from a previous deal with them.

A little advice from eBay experience - be careful with the method and madness if you decide to ship the books back for a full refund. I returned about $140 worth of heavily overgraded Doom Patrol books back to groundzerocomics, Grass Valley, California, Shane Deadman, around six years ago. Ultimately, I was out the $140 and the books, because I never got the refund. groundzerocomics disappeared from eBay, and never responded to emails or letters. My only satisfaction is my elephantine memory, and my opportunity to bad-mouth them to other collectors.

linky

In retrospect, I should have kept the books, as I made a bad situation worse by shipping them back. And of course, new to eBay, I used paypal cash.

Sadly, I had dealt with them before, and still have a couple of nice books in my collection from a previous deal with them.

I bad mouth Allen Shevy from Tampa Florida every chance I get on the boards as he took my money and never sent the goods....so I understand your approach to resolution 893applaud-thumb.gif

Glad to hear he's willing to work it out. I'd have to agree with Lizard and say be careful on sending them back for a full refund. Between the two of you, figure out what a reasonable partial refund would be, and go with that- much easier to deal with as well since it only involves him sending you money via PP.

They don't look bad to me...I guess the digital pics are hiding most of the flaws. How is the #222?

Thinking like that will lead you into a scammer trap! 893whatthe.gifgossip.gif

Small, blury pics... No returns... vague discriptions... = Oldest Trick in the e-book.

makepoint.gif

1/2 of the ebay sellers can't grade, the other 1/2 can't tell the truth confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm sure there is some cross-over leaving a small percentage of eBay sellers that are both honest and competent.

flowerred.gif

Although I've never had a buyer unhappy with what I've sold them - I don't leave feedback until the buyer has acknowledged they are happy with their books. To my mind that is the end of the transaction.

So if a buyer receives the books, and emails you telling you he is happy, you'll leave positive feedback even if hasn't left feedback himself ? confused-smiley-013.gif

You must be talking about This High Grade Auction

Crappy pictures, vague description and no return policy would have kept me far, far away!

confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I wish I would have stayed away now.

Just a thought...

John thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, and I think you can CANCEL/REVERSE the payment if it was done through a credit card. Or so I've been told.

Leave the negative if the person does not comply, but I too suggest playing it safe and avoiding these type of buyers. Grading is everything, and if they seem clueless they usually are.

Good luck!

That happened to me recently and I find most crappy e-bay sellers fall back on the OSPG value and tell you how good of a deal you got even though their books aren't graded properly. I recently bought four VF/NM BA GI Combat books that had sub creases, corner creases and lots of spine stress. To top it off the books weren't packaged properly and Canada Post added more flaws. I usually never bother complaining and figure it isn't worth the hassle and my own fault for buying off some seller I don't know and these were poor pictures.

Someone convinced me to write a polite e-mail explaining the situation and the Overstreet guidelines for VF/NM and the bad packaging and I asked only for around eight to ten dollar partial refund. The seller then accuses me of trying to con him and wanting free books and then the usual quote of the VF/NM OSPG value and how great of a deal I got.

That IS my LAST purchase from any e-bay seller I don't know. I know there are lots of honest e-bay sellers but the trick is finding them and I feel it's too much of a gamble. For a hobby that's supposed to be fun e-bay sure adds it's share of frustrations for the average buyer of raw books. sign-rantpost.gif The seller's ID is "Zorbazz" so hopefully you can avoid this fool.

Fay...sorry for your bad experience with "ZORBAAZ"...unfortunately it does not surprise me as I was the last person to leave that *spoon* a neg on eBay! He is a complete and total TOOL that is the epitome of awful eBay sellers that give the site a bad name. Last year I won an auction for a Tec 400...small scan and very little description other than saying nice condition with some wear. So I figured for only $10.00 how could I go wrong? Well it arrived and I WAS wrong...it was in unbelievably bad shape: heavy water damage, brown pages and staples so thick with rust they looked like fuzzy caterpillars! Just a total piece of junk. So, as I always do in this situation, I sent a very polite email similar to the one the OP quoted earlier in this thread. The seller responded very rudely and gave the usual hilarious mint overstreet guide value comment as well as saying he "didn't notice" any water damage or rust yeahok.gif

I was so annoyed with his demeanor that I insisted on returning the book even though it was only $10 plus shipping. He finally agreed, but upon receipt of the comic claimed that it had been heavily damaged during shipping and that I had not properly packaged it. Funny thing is, I simply repackaged it in the same materials in which I received it, and put the original package inside a new envelope. I told him that and he said it was still my responsibility and that the comic was now completely destroyed and in unsellable condition and refused my refund. So I filed a paypal claim which I won...and guess what...within 3 weeks the "completely destroyed comic in unsellable condition" was relisted on eBay with the exact same picture and description he used when I bought it! Anyway...I am totally amazed that this loser doesn't have more negs...his feedback shows that he mostly sells sports cards, but STILL...you would think an obviously dishonest cretin like him would have a few more people call him out on his awful grading and lack of disclosure about the true condition of the comics he sells. Christo_pull_hair.gif