• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help info on a comic book?

18 posts in this topic

hi.gif anyone have any info on a comic called World Color Press Day from 1977? I was just curious if it was some kind of give away for people taking a tour of the printing plant back then, or something else all together confused-smiley-013.gif and also curious what was inside? smile.gifreason I ask is I just found one on ebay and I bought it and the only other one I ever seen is one DiceX posted on hear a few years back so I thinking it must also be very rare 893crossfingers-thumb.gif. I will see if I can dig up that picture to post, and thanks if anyone can help. thumbsup2.gif1839391-WCPD.jpg

1839391-WCPD.jpg.90a62254353bc0542892e556981ef5f0.jpg

have you heard anything about this book? gossip.gif

Here's a 2003 SCOOP article that decribes it w/picture: CLICK

"First was Magazineland, USA, a promotional book for World Color Press Day, June 18, 1977, which was created to celebrate the company which at the time published most of the comics in the U.S. On the cover, which was illustrated by the legend Joe Kubert, are an array of DC, Marvel, Archie and Harvey characters. Inside is a history of the company - and of comics printing - illustrated by students at the Kubert School."

thumbsup2.gif Thanks Davenport that is a cool article, I can't wait to get that book now. cloud9.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif I would still like more info about it if anyone has any. gossip.gif.

You're welcome. Cool find. thumbsup2.gif

Another reference...Michigan State University Libraries, Special Collections Division, Reading Room Index to the Comic Art Collection: CLICK

(it's the last entry before "Magazines", about midway down)

Copy/paste...

-----------------------------------------------------

Magazineland USA : Sparta, Effingham, Salem, Illinois /

produced by Joe Kubert School of Cartoon Art. -- Effingham,

Ill. : World Color Press, 1977. -- 24 p. : col. ill. ; 26

cm. -- A comic book about the history and process of

printing color comics. -- "World Color Press day, June 18,

1977." -- Call no.: PN6714.M22 1977

-----------------------------------------------------

Could you confirm the publsiher from the indicia for me pretty please.

Earl.

hi.gif Hi; Earl well I don't have it yet but as soon as it comes in I will let you know. thumbsup2.gif have you heard anything about this book? gossip.gif

It got talked about a bit when Ian Levine was completing his DC set. Ian said it was a toughie. I don't think we ever established at the time if it was a DC published book or contained any comic strips or not.

Based on Davenports post it sound like it was published by Joe Kubert School of Cartoon Art and not DC. Makes sense given the Marvel characters on the cover.

Earl.

Could you confirm the publsiher from the indicia for me pretty please.

Earl.

hi.gif Hi; Earl well I don't have it yet but as soon as it comes in I will let you know. thumbsup2.gif have you heard anything about this book? gossip.gif

It got talked about a bit when Ian Levine was completing his DC set. Ian said it was a toughie. I don't think we ever established at the time if it was a DC published book or contained any comic strips or not.

Based on Davenports post it sound like it was published by Joe Kubert School of Cartoon Art and not DC. Makes sense given the Marvel characters on the cover.

Earl.

hi.gif Hi; Earl Just got the comic in today and it is very interesting stuff cloud9.gif bad news is It does not even have a indica but it does say Produced by Joe Kubert School of Cartton Art on the bottom of the first page. frown.gif Inside the front cover it has a letter from the President of World Color Press Clyde Oberlin with his picture and it starts out saying "It is with great Pleasure that we open our doors to you". the book is in it's self a tour of World Color Printing and in the middle has several pages of actual photos of the plant in the past. It some what trys to explain the printing process with Superheroes working at different stages of the plant from Superman, Spider-Man, Batman & the Hulk. cloud9.gif Very cool book glad to have it in my collection. thumbsup2.gif I might try to post some scans from it later if I can do it without damaging the book, that is if anyone is interested. poke2.gif

smile.gif I figured I would go ahead and post a back cover scan. Also It has some cool info in it like the Sparta Plant broke ground for construction on June 18 1948 and that by 1977 it had 500,000 squar feet of space and housed everything needed to make comics right from turning the Original Art to printing plates to the completed product also they state that their presses were capable of producing up to 40,000 comics per hour at that time. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1844078-1.jpg

1844078-1.jpg.795f8968872f101bd9fed42dc906d146.jpg