• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The one that got away....that always gets away

31 posts in this topic

I know everyone has that comic they always wanted and no matter what they do something goes wrong while trying to acquire one. Post your elusive favorites and your tragic story here!

I will start with All American #11...I have loved this cover since the first time I laid eyes on it. When the Larson copy came up in Heritages last signature auction I though…."this is my chance"....sadly my very high (IMO) bid was beat by $28.

Then there was CGC 4.5 in Heritages last weekly comic auction. This one I though was mine...until I was beat by $19 at the last minute frustrated.gif

Well here they are and maybe, just maybe, I will one day have a copy to call my own. cloud9.gif

AA11CGC7.jpg

AA11CGC4.jpg

It' a great cover!

In 1992 I had a chance to buy over 50 Flash Comics Mile Highs for around 3 times guide. The run went from #7 up to #89. I had just bought the Sensation Comics Mile High run of #3-30... so I was tapped! frown.gif

West

I know everyone has that comic they always wanted and no matter what they do something goes wrong while trying to acquire one. Post your elusive favorites and your tragic story here!

About 6 months ago, Metro posted here on the Boards and in their website a raw unrestored Tec 35 in G/VG condition ( my assesment at the time)......one of my favorite and most wanted books by far. I slept on it, and decided to go for it the next day after it was offered for sale. I called at some point in the afternoon, and Vince Z. informed me that they received an acceptable offer just 30 minutes before I called...30 minutes! Vince also said that my offer would have been high enough to be accepted ( if the book was available ).

Turns out the book was bought by our very own Dark Knight, and he sent it to CGC who graded it VG 4.0 unrestored with great PQ. It is now the 4th highest graded unrestored copy, and I am still frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif at myself.

I am happy for the Dark Knight though....... flowerred.gif

1840669-tec-35.jpg

Steve

1840669-tec-35.jpg.3d5c8ef3c267fc7ec2df443d45add494.jpg

I will start with All American #11...I have loved this cover since the first time I laid eyes on it. When the Larson copy came up in Heritages last signature auction I though…."this is my chance"....sadly my very high (IMO) bid was beat by $28.

Then there was CGC 4.5 in Heritages last weekly comic auction. This one I though was mine...until I was beat by $19 at the last minute frustrated.gif

Well here they are and maybe, just maybe, I will one day have a copy to call my own. cloud9.gif

AA11CGC7.jpg

AA11CGC4.jpg

I feel your pain, in the mid 90's, I had a chance at a set of pre-GL All Americans, including 1,2,3 and several others including 8 (1st Ultra) and 11 - all VG or better, maybe a couple fines - the store owner just put them on the wall and I was a good customer/buddy - he offered me the set for a flip price of $600, that was a still lot of money for me then & I said i'd have to think about it while I waited for payday. Well I thought about those books (had never seen 'em before) all week and when payday came I went back and they were gone... shoulda coulda woulda put a deposit down on them Christo_pull_hair.gif

About 6 months ago, Metro posted here on the Boards and in their website a raw unrestored Tec 35 in G/VG condition ( my assesment at the time)......one of my favorite and most wanted books by far. I slept on it, and decided to go for it the next day after it was offered for sale. I called at some point in the afternoon, and Vince Z. informed me that they received an acceptable offer just 30 minutes before I called...30 minutes! Vince also said that my offer would have been high enough to be accepted ( if the book was available ).

Turns out the book was bought by our very own Dark Knight, and he sent it to CGC who graded it VG 4.0 unrestored with great PQ. It is now the 4th highest graded unrestored copy, and I am still frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif at myself.

1840669-tec-35.jpg

Steve

Man that has to sting frown.gif, I just love that book. cloud9.gif

1840669-tec-35.jpg

Steve

893whatthe.gif Sorry about that Steve that is one tragic story(I would have cried frown.gif)....have you gotten a 35 yet?

It' a great cover!

In 1992 I had a chance to buy over 50 Flash Comics Mile Highs for around 3 times guide. The run went from #7 up to #89. I had just bought the Sensation Comics Mile High run of #3-30... so I was tapped! frown.gif

West

At least you got those Church Sensation Comics to make you feel better thumbsup2.gif

1840669-tec-35.jpg

Steve

893whatthe.gif Sorry about that Steve that is one tragic story(I would have cried frown.gif)....have you gotten a 35 yet?

....it kinda all worked out for me in the end wink.gif

1841525-tec35-5.0.JPG

1841525-tec35-5.0.JPG.0a68d02fab56f4c3798c758ad37c28a4.JPG

1840669-tec-35.jpg

Steve

....it kinda all worked out for me in the end wink.gif

1841525-tec35-5.0.JPG

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

thumbsup2.gif

It' a great cover!

West

I had a chance to buy the MH supersnipe run when it was offered in the CBG years ago, saw the ad, waited too long, and when I finally called, he said he'd made a deal to sell them a few per month to a collector.....he'd only sold a couple at the time, but wouldn't sell me any as he wanted to keep them together and sell them to this nice collector..................... insane.gif...............yeah right..............since then, many have been slabbed and I've seen them at a few larger dealer sites on occasion. gossip.gif

On a sad note, the same collector said the Supersnipe MH V1#8 was damaged pretty severely in transit. Hence, no MH9.? of my favorite issue has been slabbed. sorry.gif

Man I thought for sure I had my next GA book last night...eBay auction, and it had my name all over it...EXACTLY what I'm looking for...always look for:

1. raw

2. high grade

3. unrestored ( to the best of my knowledge )

4. great title

5. great looking cover art

6. scarce book

I do my homework, and determine that if 2 or more potenital buyers REALLY want it, they could drive the price up to about $1,000 ( $650 guide in NM-, Metro has a VF- for about $575 ). I place my Bid Nip max bid at $1275, 'cause I really, really, really want this gorgeous Gerber 8 to be mine, and go to sleep with complete peace of mind that it's a done deal when I wake up, since no one would or could outbid me on this puppy....well, I just woke up, and had my 1st suprise of the day (...and it's only 5:45am! ).

Check out what this Thrilling #33 sold for!!! 893whatthe.gif

(P.S. --- I wouldn't pay this much for this book, so it kinda all worked out)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Steve

Man I thought for sure I had my next GA book last night...eBay auction, and it had my name all over it...EXACTLY what I'm looking for...always look for:

1. raw

2. high grade

4. great title

6. scarce book

I do my homework, and determine that if 2 or more potenital buyers REALLY want it, they could drive the price up to about $1,000 ( $650 guide in NM-, Metro has a VF- for about $575 ). I place my Bid Nip max bid at $1275, 'cause I really, really, really want this gorgeous Gerber 8 to be mine, and go to sleep with complete peace of mind that it's a done deal when I wake up, since no one would or could outbid me on this puppy....well, I just woke up, and had my 1st suprise of the day (...and it's only 5:45am! ).

Steve

gossip.gif It's the Church copy and several people bid on that basis.

1. raw

2. high grade

4. great title

6. scarce book

Steve

yep, 4x guide is actually "cheap"...think if the seller had of noted "church" in the description

rick

1. raw

2. high grade

4. great title

6. scarce book

Steve

yep, 4x guide is actually "cheap"...think if the seller had of noted "church" in the description

rick

I thought it was fully priced given that it wasn't slabbed and wasn't one of the stronger Nedor covers.

1. raw

2. high grade

4. great title

6. scarce book

Steve

rick

I thought it was fully priced given that it wasn't slabbed and wasn't one of the stronger Nedor covers.

you are probably right...I just wonder if any "church" collectors might have thrown up a bid that missed the auction entirely due to lack of the "key" word?...guess we will never know smile.gif

rick

1. raw

2. high grade

4. great title

6. scarce book

Steve

Yeah, $2500 is a reasonable figure for that book. My guess is that it could be listed for $3500 or so on a dealer site and not look out of place (although probably not sell either).

Really mis-marketed. Not only was it not listed as the Church book, but the 8.5 grade actually seems conservative. It's not a title I collect, but I had a snipe set (in conjunction with Andy, who alerted me to the listing) at something like $1725 just to ensure it didn't go too cheaply to someone.

CGC's criteria for the qualified grade has changed over the years. The defects(tanning to interior covers and a tiny chip out of the back cover) no longer result in a green label, so I resubbed the book.