• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Universal Books with Resotred notations

If you were interested in a book with notations such as glue or color touch that are normally given a purple label but CGC considers the amount small enough to warrant the blue label would you   

141 members have voted

1. 1. If you were interested in a book with notations such as glue or color touch that are normally given a purple label but CGC considers the amount small enough to warrant the blue label would you

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering what people thought of books sitting in Universal holders that have minor amounts of glue or color touch? Normally they would be given a PLOD but the amount is small enough that CGC issues a blue label instead. Do you consider these books to be PLOD's disguised in blue or merely a slight "defect" on an otherwise great book?

here is a perfect example...I have a comic, light blue cover, that somewhere along the way obviously got accidentally hit with a black felt pen on the spine (probably someone writing something next to an unprotected book 30 years ago?)...the book is in a cgc blue, graded with this "color touch" defect, and noted on the cover as very minor amount of color touch...to me, book is 100% of the value in its grade, as this is obviously not restorative color touch...I think most books that have that minute amount of glue or c/t, whether intentional or not, are not "restorative" in nature, because they are so small as to not affect the grade of the book, or have a significant enough improvement to be considered "restoration"...

just my 2 cents

rick

here is a perfect example...I have a comic, light blue cover, that somewhere along the way obviously got accidentally hit with a black felt pen on the spine (probably someone writing something next to an unprotected book 30 years ago?)...the book is in a cgc blue, graded with this "color touch" defect, and noted on the cover as very minor amount of color touch...to me, book is 100% of the value in its grade, as this is obviously not restorative color touch...I think most books that have that minute amount of glue or c/t, whether intentional or not, are not "restorative" in nature, because they are so small as to not affect the grade of the book, or have a significant enough improvement to be considered "restoration"...

just my 2 cents

rick

Good example rick and well put thumbsup2.gif

just my 2 cents

rick

I agree with you Rick for the most part. The glue is a bit of an issue but the accidental markings that you just know weren't put there to enhance the book in any way shape or form shouldn't be looked at as any type of resto.

Excuse my ignorance on the issue as I've not yet dipped into the Golden age of collecting at least not for another year but what exactly is the time line stipulation that a book can get a blue label for small resto. I seem to remember something about 1940 books with minor R getting blue labels or something to that effect but perhaps I am wrong.

Any info would be appreciated.

Richard

If it was a book I wanted/needed, I don't think those minor defects would affect my interst in purchasing it. If it was an inexpensive/ non-key book, I wouldn't have a big problem paying the unrestored price (assuming I'm still getting a nice deal off guide wink.gif ). If we're looking at a really high-value, expensive book, I'll probably be asking for a discount from the seller.