• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM #1 - Edited with pic

32 posts in this topic

I paid $5100 for this... I'm guessing I was jipped?

Does the cover really detract that much from the grade?

That is about 6.5 pricing according to the new Overstreet guide ($4681.25) - and despite the chipping, the opinions so far point to right around that grade - so I wouldn't say you got jipped. You didn't get the deal of the century but you definitely didn't get ripped off.

Remember, scans don't alway show the good details of a book as well as they show the bad. Seeing a comic in person is the only way to truly judge what it grades. Besides, the true value of a comic is up to the individual who owns it.

As far as the cover detracting from the grade, Absolutely. From what I have seen in my VERY LIMITED experience, the condition of the cover seems to be 90% (if not more) of what a comic grades. confused-smiley-013.gif

jipped and chipped, not to mention gipped 27_laughing.gif

I dunno about prices, but I would recommend slabbing it. It ceratinly isn't a 8.0 - 8.5 sumo.gif

Oh, It's on its way to CGC as of yesterday... I'm beginning to feel a little nauseous... I hope this doesn't come back lower than a 7.0 but I'm beginning to think that it will....

boo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

That is about 6.5 pricing according to the new Overstreet guide ($4681.25) - and despite the chipping, the opinions so far point to right around that grade - so I wouldn't say you got jipped. You didn't get the deal of the century but you definitely didn't get ripped off.

Remember, scans don't alway show the good details of a book as well as they show the bad. Seeing a comic in person is the only way to truly judge what it grades. Besides, the true value of a comic is up to the individual who owns it.

As far as the cover detracting from the grade, Absolutely. From what I have seen in my VERY LIMITED experience, the condition of the cover seems to be 90% (if not more) of what a comic grades. confused-smiley-013.gif

But I was taught in skool to "never judge a book by its cover!!" 893whatthe.gif

But I definitely see why the cover would be the main grading since it would take the most damage over time... Either way I guess, I can at least sell it for what I invested in it...

jipped and chipped, not to mention gipped 27_laughing.gif

I dunno about prices, but I would recommend slabbing it. It ceratinly isn't a 8.0 - 8.5 sumo.gif

Oh, It's on its way to CGC as of yesterday... I'm beginning to feel a little nauseous... I hope this doesn't come back lower than a 7.0 but I'm beginning to think that it will....

boo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifboo.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Best of luck. Maybe you'll catch them in a good mood.

Let us know the results, I'm curious myelf.

Back cover could change the grade but I'm thinking 5.5 for this one - still a great book, hope you didn't get hosed on the price...

My thoughts exactly - it's hard to gauge without seeing the BC and without seeing the extent of chipping in hand. tongue.gif

I have no idea what CGC does with chipping, but in the hobby world I grew up in this would get hammered, i.e. 4.0 range. I hope I'm wrong, for your sake. I've had that nauseous feeling myself at times, and it sucks.

If it does come back low, any chance of getting money back from the seller for misrepresenting the book? Even if it comes back in the 6.0 range that's way lower than what he was selling it as.

I'm calling it a 5.5 FN- and I'd say the book is worth $4,000-$4,500...CGC might call it 5.0

Back cover could change the grade but I'm thinking 5.5 for this one - still a great book, hope you didn't get hosed on the price...

I'd agree with this statement. 6.0 tops. I know from experience because I have the world's nicest 4.5 ... but it is the old label.

But I was taught in skool to "never judge a book by its cover!!" 893whatthe.gif

But I definitely see why the cover would be the main grading since it would take the most damage over time... Either way I guess, I can at least sell it for what I invested in it...

unless you really need to sell it now, I'd just hold on to it for a while....ASM 1 will always be in high demand....therebye prices increase. Although not high grade, your copy presents nicely and will garner higher than your average price for the CGC grade IMO.

Cheers